• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Inventive Press

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
New epub.

Royalty only: 50% net digital; 40% net print, and "bonuses".

Want novel length inventive speculative fiction, because shape-shifting moody teens are banal. Have published not a damn thing. There isn't even a collection of the founder's short tales to showcase what kind of cover and design one can expect.

http://inventivepress.com/?page_id=16 (the Looking For page)
http://inventivepress.com/?page_id=9 (the Straight Talk page)
http://inventivepress.com/?page_id=22 (the Why Bother page)

Say they're not going to be a small epub author-mill, but an author-cultivator. For every one reader the author reaches, they will reach a hundredfold, and everybody wins.

Say nice mantras like "money always flows to the author" and borderline b.s. mantras like "even major publishers only issue advances to established authors".

I say "borderline b.s." because since they finally reacted after a lag of only a decade to certain market developments, every major publisher has indeed suddenly grown itself a digital-first arm most of which are places to divert new authors to and only pay them royalties. So, with some contortions, this sentiment can, since of 2012-2013, be made to sound kinda true, unfortunately.

Anyway, I would like to point out that when new publishers pop up all feisty and will show everyone how it's done, one would like to see at least a single example of editing and design.

No online store sales ranks to check out, no book reviews to read--all right, this goes with being so new you're squeaking--but at least a link to the home page of the artist who will be doing the covers. At least a link to the editor.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have published not a damn thing.

I didn't need to read any further.

At best, I'll put them on the "wish them well and check this thread later if they come up as a potential market" list, and at worst I'll check back to a thread with 9 posts, the most recent by CaoPaux saying "Last issue was back in such and such, email to editor bounced."

Becca C.

Totes Legit Author
Registered
Reaction score
We’re particularly interested in young writers at Inventive Press. We believe we have an excellent business plan for marketing the work of younger writers, especially high school age authors.

This is weird to me. Also, what business plan? Everything is worded so vaguely. Get specific!

Also, nothing about who's running this joint. No names, no bios, nothing.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving