• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Interstellar Flight Press

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
I was prepping a couple of novellas to self-publish (since not many publishers are interested in the 20,000-40,000 word manuscript) and someone directed me to this publisher who accept... drum roll--novellas! But the deadline for 2019 submissions is tomorrow. I can have one ready to submit but...

I can't find anything about this publisher other than their own sites -- maybe 'cause they're relatively new? Has anyone had any experience with them?

Here's the link:
https://www.interstellarflightpress.com/submissions.html

Thanks a bunch!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I took a look and to my untrained eye with just a few outdated pub credits, I'm hesitant even if this was my genre. First off, they are very new, with only one book so far, and their magazine looks more like a blog that I found hard to navigate. Having lost one book to an over-ambitious publisher who folded within two years perhaps I'm more gun shy than I need to be. Also, I would be curious to know what marketing and publicity plan they have. Do they have one? How much will they do for you and how much do they put onto you to do? Their short story stuff looks pretty standard for this type of pub, but novellas seem to be a different thing requiring mors book-type support. Looking at the "About" page and staff, they seem to have some experience in the industry, which is a good sign.

Just my intial gut reaction.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It does look like they are brand spankin' new, and I'm a bit troubled by their About page, which features a (non-functioning) link to their Patreon page as well as PayPal link where you can donate to the press. Also on the page is a list of their goals, which includes "Pay our writers and promote their works."

Their single published book (by staff member Cassandra Rose Clarke) is available through Amazon, B&N online and Indiebound. It appears to be a short-story collection featuring characters from books Clarke published with another press. It was just published this year but its numbers on Amazon aren't great, and it only got a couple of so-so reviews.

If they're not equipped to pay their writers and promote their works yet, I'm not seeing the benefit in publishing with this press.

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both -- this is what I needed to hear. I think I'm going to refrain from submitting to them. Perhaps they have great intentions and will do well in the future but I'd rather be abundantly cautious than overly optimistic at this juncture.

Much appreciated!

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving