Interesting news for Guy Gavriel Kay fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

XThe NavigatorX

bright weavings (GGK's website) just released this press release:

Zwick Feeds the Lions

Warner Bros. has attached Ed Zwick to direct period epic "The Lions of Al-Rassan," an adaptation of a Guy Gavriel Kay novel about the collision of religions in Spain during the Middle Ages that melds fact and fantasy.

WB acquired the book. Bull's Eye Entertainment's Cathy Schulman will produce with Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Bedford Falls' Zwick, Marshall Herskovitz and Rick Solomon. Bull's Eye partner Bob Yari is also involved in a producing role.

Vera Blasi ("Woman on Top") will write the script.

The book is a historical fantasy set at the beginning of the Christian re-conquest of Moorish Spain. A triangle forms between two warrior princes and a female doctor in the fictional locale of Al-Rassan.

There are allusions to the Crusades-era religious clashes between Jewish, Catholic and Muslim factions. But the author veils the faiths and introduces magical elements into the historical framework.

After sticking to a historical track on "The Last Samurai," Zwick found Kay's literary device irresistible. "He has done something remarkable in imagining a very compelling world, which has some basis in history, and yet departs in a way that adds a kind of magical realism," Zwick said. "That is a blend I've never seen before and feels like a different way to approach an epic story."

Zwick said he will likely get back behind the camera on a project this year, while "The Lions of Al-Rassan" is being written.

Blasi, who also scripted "Tortilla Soup," has written historical biopics of Pontius Pilate and Galileo that haven't been made. WB exec Courtenay Valenti will steer the project, and Donald Zuckerman and Eduardo Rossof will be co-producers.

So - a very good chance that our beloved Ammar, Rodrigo and Jehane will be appearing on the silver screen at some point in the next few years. Needless to say, there is already a thread about this development on the forums. I am sure casting suggestions will abound, as well as speculation as to what will change from book to film, and what will stay the same. GGK has already posted a note on the forum about the film possibilities. To visit that thread, see his comments as well as those of other denizens, or leave your own, click here: www.brightweavings.com/fo...#POST59631

It's one of my favorite books of all time. Let's hope they don't screw it up too much.

Velleity

Well, I'm there. I wish I could have more faith in it being as good as it deserves to be.

The GGK book I'd most like to see made into a movie is Tigana, but I have no idea how you'd go about adapting it. Though I suspect it could be done.

But eh, if it brings him more readers, it's all good, I guess.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Wow. Lions is my favourite GGK book even above Tigana. Can't imagine it as a film though. I hope they do it justice. I hope it gets made!

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
From what I understand it's already going into pre-production. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443572/

It has a 2007 release date. The person doing the screenplay has written some more literary type movies. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

People seem to like this one the best--and I love this book--but I've had a special place in my heart for Tigana and Song for Arbonne.

Status
Not open for further replies.