• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Insomniac Press

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
EmoteSun.gif

I'm looking for information about these three publishers:

Insomniac Press
MacAdam Cage
The Permanent Press

All three appear to have legitimate sales, but I can't find anything about them here or on P&E so I thought I'd ask before I get started on query letters/packages.

Thanks and everyone have a great day!
Caren

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
caren1701 said:
Insomniac Press
MacAdam Cage
I can't tell you any more than this, but at least one bookstore I frequented regularly had books from these two presses.

Writerbear

Registered
Reaction score
Insomniac is a legitimate Canadian small press that's been around for a while. I don't know offhand if they only consider Canadians, but have found Mike O'Connor to be polite and professional thus far.

And they also sponsored a large writing contest here that awarded a considerable prize to a new writer and a publishing contract.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com

DawnKJ

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookworld.editme.com
I'm about to query Insomniac Press, but am not sure if I should put it to the attention of Mike O'Connor, the publisher, or Dan Varrette, the managing editor. Judging from the previously published works of gay fiction they offer, I feel they would be a perfect fit for my book. Help. I really want to get this right.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd suggest addressing your query to the editor -- though you might want to note that their website says they're actively seeking non-fiction, which might mean that they're inundated with fiction.

DawnKJ

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookworld.editme.com
Thanks, Unimportant. I read that site over and over and over and somehow missed that. I read it as "actively seeking non-fiction and fiction on blah blah blah subjects." I suspect I was seeing what I wanted to see. I got overly excited because the published works in their gay fiction section were so compelling. I wanted to be a part of it. I'll send them the best query I can and see what happens.

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Insomniac is a legitimate Canadian small press that's been around for a while. I don't know offhand if they only consider Canadians, but have found Mike O'Connor to be polite and professional thus far.

And they also sponsored a large writing contest here that awarded a considerable prize to a new writer and a publishing contract.

Here's Insomniac's guidelines. Surprisingly, they accept foreign submissions. (A whack of Canadian publishers won't look at your work if you're not Canadian.)

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Anything new on Insomniac Press? Canadian publisher, not sure if they give preference to Canadians (apparently some do). How many books would a "medium-size independent press" release each year?

From their website: Insomniac was founded in 1992, and since that time, it has evolved from a small press that publishes poetry chapbooks, to a medium-size independent press that publishes eye-catching non-fiction titles as well as the great fiction and poetry for which it has become known.

What they want: Insomniac has developed special niche areas in which it publishes unique books. For example, its black studies books, gay and lesbian books, personal finance books, celebrity writer-as-musician books (including titles by Matthew Good, Jann Arden and Terri Clark), and gay mysteries have developed devoted followings.