Images in the Signature

guppie1813

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to add an image of my books to my signature, but for some reason I can't open the FAQ post on 'Everything you want to know about Signatures' ("You can't access this thread" error? I'm logged in so....?) Can someone tell me how, or maybe give me the link to the original thread and I'll try again.

Sage

The Answer to Life, the Universe, & Everything
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I actually don’t see that thread at all.

Anyway, there are FAQs on images, so check those out (size, hotlinking, etc) once you follow Brigid’s instructions.

Reactions: guppie1813

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍🌈🦅 and 🏳️‍🌈🦅 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
This is the URL to edit your signature: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php?account/signature

To put an image in your signature, I recommend doing this:
  1. Click the 3 meatballs on top of each other menu thing
  2. Click the [ ] to turn on BB Code editing
  3. Type this in:
  4. Code:
    [IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/5b36ecb1651588c1056b5d484acf686c.png[/IMG]
  5. (but, you know, with your own image URL)
  6. Click the [ ] to turn off BB Code editing. You should now be able to see what your signature will look like!
You can resize the image, by typing [img=AxB]. Replace A and B with a number (you don't have to type px or pts or anything). This is kinda bad practice, tho, because the image is LOADING at the normal size but is being re-sized by the web browser to look like it's A by B big.

As for where to have your image live, it should be someplace you control and not, like, Amazon's store page for your book. You can stick it on imgur or something if you like. You're not SUPPOSED to hotlink from imgur but shhhhhhhhhhhh.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
This is the URL to edit your signature: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php?account/signature

To put an image in your signature, I recommend doing this:
  1. Click the 3 meatballs on top of each other menu thing
  2. Click the [ ] to turn on BB Code editing
  3. Type this in:
  4. Code:
    [IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/5b36ecb1651588c1056b5d484acf686c.png[/IMG]
  5. (but, you know, with your own image URL)
  6. Click the [ ] to turn off BB Code editing. You should now be able to see what your signature will look like!
You can resize the image, by typing [img=AxB]. Replace A and B with a number (you don't have to type px or pts or anything). This is kinda bad practice, tho, because the image is LOADING at the normal size but is being re-sized by the web browser to look like it's A by B big.

As for where to have your image live, it should be someplace you control and not, like, Amazon's store page for your book. You can stick it on imgur or something if you like. You're not SUPPOSED to hotlink from imgur but shhhhhhhhhhhh.
This has been very helpful, but the only ways I’ve found to assign a URL to an image are Google Photos, which does not appeal, and Imgur.

About Imgur, let me say the last software tool that drove me to a comparable level of cordial loathing was Lotus Notes: Instant, white-hot, and abiding.

Is there any other way for me to get a URL that actually links to my image, instead of the totally useless URL’s which are all Imgur will give me?

Hope this is not off-topic.

ETA: I took the hint in the worked example and went to gyaso for my urls. Much better now--tho I might want smaller thumbnails.

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍🌈🦅 and 🏳️‍🌈🦅 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Is there any other way for me to get a URL that actually links to my image, instead of the totally useless URL’s which are all Imgur will give me?

I mean, you could host it on your own website. Like I could hotlink off of chasej.xyz if I wanted. But since I have gyazo, I just use that.

Gimp is good freeware for image manipulation, if you want to adjust image sizes to the exact pixels.

guppie1813

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I NEVER would have figured this out on my own. Thanks all!

Fi Webster

Dec 2 - 5 waxing gibbous moon 🌔
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Texas originally, now living in Maryland (DC area)
Website
www.ipernity.com
This has been very helpful, but the only ways I’ve found to assign a URL to an image are Google Photos, which does not appeal, and Imgur.

I use https://postimages.org/

Post Images is super easy. Once you've got your image at the AW 400 pixel size, you upload from Post Images. A screen pops up with your URL in a field called Direct Link.

Reactions: Lakey and dickson