I'm a Sea Shanty addict

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

TheGrimmRetails

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The first sea shanty I ever heard was The Turkish Revelry, which we sang in sixth grade music class. I don't think I knew I had a real addiction until I first started hearing Wellerman on TikTok and then I had to listen to the actual song. Soon I discovered The Last Shanty by the Derina Harvey Band and then I found a family friendly version of Drunken Sailor on an old Seaquest clip, which lead to me listening to the not so family friendly version by the Irish Rovers.

I don't know what it is about a sea shanty that just grabs me but I wanted to know I'm not the only one out there. What's your favorite sea shanty? Any recommendations? Is there another version of a popular sea shanty that you prefer over others?

Maryn

Baaaa!
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not me, but my father. He had a dozen or so records of such music and literally wore a few out, he played them so often.

He died before my mother, and when I cleared out the house, those records were not among the others. I'd have taken them.

Reactions: TheGrimmRetails

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Gordon Bok; Folk singer and song-writer from Maine. Not all his songs are shanteys (technically, neither is Wellerman) but some are and many are about ships and the sea.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
A few years ago, searching for some half-remembered shanties I ran across this compilation of a capella (no musical instruments, just voices) sea shanties from various albums. I listen to it a lot while working. Some of the songs are a bit racy, some sentimental. I'd give a slight warning for language - mild cussin' and one obsolete term for biracial people.

This one isn't real, it's riffing on sea shanties humorously to tell the story of Passover. It's a lot of fun, especially if you know Passover traditions.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I know I could google this but I'm just asking out of curiosity; what makes a shanty a shanty?
They're work songs, usually call-and-response, voice only (no musical instruments) with a steady beat to help in the rope pulling or whatever rhythmic work the sailors are doing. Derives from the French "chanter", to sing.

That's the classic definition as I understand it, anyway.

Reactions: AW Admin

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite is "The Auld Triangle," especially this version, sung by the late, great Luke Kelly and the Dubliners. Kelly's voice is just so raw and full of pain.

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know I could google this but I'm just asking out of curiosity; what makes a shanty a shanty?
They are work songs, rhythmic repeted chants, often in the form of call-and-reponse for alternating teams as you (mostly) haul and coil and pull the ropes for the sails.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
'Bound for South Australia' is one of my favourites. I think everyone has recorded it.

And from the mid-1970s, not a shanty but still hugely fun to sing -- 'Barrett's Privateers'.
They are both in the collection of sea shanties I linked above, "Bound for South Australia" at 28:17 and "Barrett's Privateers" at 18:48.

"Barrett's Privateers" was written in 1976 and has some cussin' in it.

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'Bound for South Australia' is one of my favourites. I think everyone has recorded it.

And from the mid-1970s, not a shanty but still hugely fun to sing -- 'Barrett's Privateers'.
Stan Rogers is another favorite, and his brother Garnet tours with the fabulous Archie Fisher, a Scottish traditional singer and song-writer.

Reactions: Helix

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Check out Gordon Bok; Folk singer and song-writer from Maine. Not all his songs are shanteys (technically, neither is Wellerman) but some are and many are about ships and the sea.
Grew up listening to his records, thanks to my mother. The Brandy Tree has always been a favorite, and Peter Kagan and the Wind (a story/song hybrid) is a classic selkie tale.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
You might also try 'Great Big Sea' a Canadian folk-rock band, from the Maritimes, that bases a lot of it's songs on traditional shanties and the like.
They are retired now, after 20 some years, but still great.

Reactions: Elenitsa

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Not a sea shanty, I guess. :) But this was fun.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away