If your WIP had a Soundtrack...

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
Music plays a big part in people's lives. And for some, it's has a huge role in their creative processes. Is there an album out there of any description that you find is all but conducive to your WIP?

For mine, it's most definitely "Iron Maiden: The book of Souls"

Every track on that great album practically inspired a chapter or more in my current manuscript. Anyone out there get the same feeling from any of their music?

(As a quick aside, I feel like I asked a similar question on another thread a while back. Since I haven't been on the site in some time, I figured I would refresh the question).

Reactions: CMore_Glass

CMore_Glass

Registered
Reaction score
I think about this all the time! Music plays a massive roll in the tone of my writing. I've always loved the idea of writing a book of short stories and each short story has a link to a different Spotify playlist.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Currently on CLANNAD's LEGEND (The Robin of Sherwood soundtrack album). Perfect for the moody Celtic mysticism story I'm working on.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I mix and match for the most part. My Bob Seger Pandora channel sometimes gets me going, but I've got a jazz mix, too (one piano channel, one guitar, and one horns, all three on Shuffle). I also do a trailer music channel and have a big trailer playlist on Youtube. The drawback on YT though is that I have to minimize the window or risk getting distracted.

H.L.Dyer

Registered
Reaction score
I don’t really have a specific soundtrack for my novel per se, more along the lines of a compilation of songs in a playlist. I do have the inception and Tim Burton’s Sleepy Hollow soundtracks in my library for my current wip, some songs from Hi-Finesse, many songs with a dark or somber tone for the most part. If I had to give a single song to be the “title song” of my novel though, it would likely be Endless Dream by Conjure One. If my novel were to be turned into a movie (big goals big goals), I would want that song to be the credits song.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
What an interesting thread!

I'd say Station to Station by David Bowie for my WIP.

Reactions: H.L.Dyer

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent, excellent! Amazing how words(either written or sung) can paint the most vivid imagery in our minds. Keep writing, people. And keep the music flowing.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Working on a pulp adventure novella now, and the best thing for that is the Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack.

mschenk2016

Registered
Reaction score
No one album, but yes I've had the movie version of my book in my head for years. I always saw the opening song being "Black" by Pearl Jam and the closing credits song being "Losing My Religion" by REM.

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I can really assign just one soundtrack to my novels, but certain songs and dancing play a part in setting the scenes. "Wicked Games" Chris Isaak. "Dangerous Woman" Ariana Grande, "Hotel California" Eagles, "Isn't She Lovely" Stevie Wonder are a few I have used.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I listened to Ludovico Einaudi's In A Time Lapse a lot while writing my 1920's vampire novel. It set the mood for many of my scenes. One song in particular was my inspiration for the song the vampire in my novel composed for his love, but she never got to hear it performed.

• Love
Reactions: tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I listened to Ludovico Einaudi's In A Time Lapse a lot while writing my 1920's vampire novel. It set the mood for many of my scenes. One song in particular was my inspiration for the song the vampire in my novel composed for his love, but she never got to hear it performed.
Just wandered in to say I LOVE this song. Such good writing music.

As for a WIP soundtrack, well...*eyes all of the playlists she builds for each one of her WIPs and laughs hysterically* yeah, you could say music plays a role. But I need more than one album for my soundtracks as I'm writing. When I'm editing? I usually have some go-to instrumental compilations to help.

Reactions: B.D. Skunkworks

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
Just wandered in to say I LOVE this song. Such good writing music.

As for a WIP soundtrack, well...*eyes all of the playlists she builds for each one of her WIPs and laughs hysterically* yeah, you could say music plays a role. But I need more than one album for my soundtracks as I'm writing. When I'm editing? I usually have some go-to instrumental compilations to help.
So true. My list of musical inspirations for my WIP has grown a bit over time. There are a few more songs I found fit my WIP;
"Butterflies and Hurricanes" By Muse
"Goodbye forever" By Alkaline Trio

Reactions: tiddlywinks

llyralen

Registered
Reaction score
My MC is a girl who is studying to be a song collector in the 1970’s. She grew up with the handed-down folk songs in the Ozarks. So Appalachian and Ozark folks and songs and the songs of the 70’s are mentioned and the manuscript is named after her favorite song.