• U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

If my memoir won't sell as a 'memoir' can I do something creative with it so it will?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
No one is advocating an all-or-nothing approach. You can leave things out, maybe they're too painful, or too destructive or too boring or whatever. What is important is that whatever you say is true.
the painful and destructive parts make a work great. (not the boring parts, though.)

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
By being in 3rd person you have put distance between yourself and the reader. From my understanding, limited as it is, a memoir should be in 1st person.
you can do whatever you like in writing as long as you can do it skillfully. "shoulds" do not exist here.

if you want precedents, they exist. the autobiographical novel The Primal Screamer by Nicky Blinko does it. the memoir Blue Box Boy (growing up as an actor on the set of Doctor Who!) by Matthew Waterhouse did the same.

I will do the same if I ever write an autobiographical work. frankly, if I wrote it in first person, I think I would sound like a whiny git. it would read more poignantly if told through a disinterested observer.

Ria13

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Memoirs are a hard sell unless you're a celebrity of some sorts these days or you have done something extraordinary that few people have done before, because the market is flooded.
or if you write well enough. I mean, you could call any genre either overdone or not familiar enough. but if you write well, that opens doors.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
It could be that your biggest problem with selling it as a memoir is that it doesn't seem like one. Third person and the reader not really knowing it's you writing it are unusual and might be an issue.

I dunno. Paolo Coelho managed it in The Valkyries.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Why not ? I read memoirs and store it in my mind .It can become handy while writing a script or a novel

roseangel

Crazy Young Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
She hasn't been back to this thread in awhile, but if she is keeping an eye on it. . .
Whats so bad about novels???

Leanna

Registered
Reaction score
Colorado, India, or with my MC battling ferocious
Website
www.leannacinquanta.com
I'm in the same boat (trying to decide whether a sort-of memoir should undergo a genre switch for improved marketing). Y'alls comments about the difficulty of selling memoirs has been added to the scales on the side of "novel."

Yes it's a shame for something that actually happened to be given up to fiction, but it is also a shame if a good story fails to reach many people simply due to being in a category that is not in demand.

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've been tinkering with rewriting mine as a novel, and I think that's going to work well for me. It's really a story of a family, and I had problems with POV when I first wrote it--struggling with too much "she told me" and "he said," which tend to take one out of the story. I'm starting now with my mother's POV, so she can tell her stories, will switch to other family members as needed, and will end with mine. Of course, the question then is: do I change from third person to first person when I'm telling my part of the story?

REMLIG

Registered
Reaction score
Reconsidering

I have been reconsidering selling it as an ebook. It seems the market and industry is changing and it might be best to change with the times and forget about a mainstream agent/publisher.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you thinking about submitting it to a smaller press and having it released as an e-pub? That'll be just as difficult because you'll still have to go through the process of submitting and acceptance.

REMLIG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of all my options.

There is a big move with e-readers and such, people are changing their reading habits.

Mainstream isn't where its at anymore.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away