Ideas for Really Inexpensive Spiral-binding And Printing?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, my partner and I are putting together a small cookbook of her recipes (they are awesome!) to give out to people who are donating money in a fundraiser we're doing (see my sig!) I want something spiral-bound, around sixty pages, color covers and clear plastic protectors. I will probably order 25-50 copies of it. (ETA: I forgot to say, I'm going for a smallish size like A5 or 8.5x5.5 or similar.) It seems like everyone will print something like this--Kinkos, UPS store, Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, local copy and print places, and Lulu. I can't figure out how much any of them cost, though!

Does anyone have a good suggestion for who would do this cheaply? Thanks! :D

PS I have looked at the websites that make cookbooks for churches and nonprofits and such, and they are really not cheap and they are also moderately ugly.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yeesh, they sure don't want folks to know their rates, do they. The only one to cough it up is Kinko's, where it'd be about $12.00/book for coil binding (using their Standard Manual Printing & Binding option), and $7/b for comb-binding. But at least that gives you a benchmark for shopping around.

If you have a college or university nearby, check if they have a printer/bindery, too.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeesh, they sure don't want folks to know their rates, do they. The only one to cough it up is Kinko's, where it'd be about $12.00/book for coil binding (using their Standard Manual Printing & Binding option), and $7/b for comb-binding. But at least that gives you a benchmark for shopping around.

If you have a college or university nearby, check if they have a printer/bindery, too.

Yikes, that's high! I'm hoping for something more like $3 or $4 if that were possible. I wonder if any of my friends own a spiral binding machine...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Along the lines of the 'college or university', try local banks, hospitals, etc. Some of them have small printing operations for in-house stuff. Manuals, training guides, etc. If you only want 50 copies, you might find a place willing to do it at cost as a charitable thing.

DoctorMandaBenson

I iz Publishr!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tangentrine.com
Might work out cheaper just to buy a coil binder. You can get them on eBay for 100 USD-ish. Assuming you have a laser printer at home to run off the pages, and if not, you can get one of them for about the same.

ninjas

Registered
Reaction score
I pay about $3.50 at Office Depot for spiral or comb binding of a 20 page "book" printed on normal computer paper. If you want them to print it it's a bit more. The $3.50 is just the binding, clear cover and black back.

Kinkos tends to be a lot more expensive for this type of thing.

Deleted member 42

I've had really good luck with Kinkos in SM, and in West Hollywood.

N.B. You can dicker over price per if you get 25 or so at once.

Also: it's worth looking at the price of getting it punched and printed on good paper, and then buying the combs and binder and doing it yourself.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, everybody! I looked into the binding machine dealies. I like doing stuff like that by hand, but it seems like that won't be the best value for the number of books I want to print. I'm still looking at potential solutions for the next couple of weeks :)

Deleted member 42

There's no crime in going to a local print shop and comparing quotes.

Keep in mind the possibility of buying nice paper by the ream at Staples or Office Depot or Kelly Paper (http://www.kellypaper.com -- they do comb bindings too) and having the printing and binding done on your paper.