I think M. Night Shyamalan has found the future of film

BronzeRadio

Registered
Reaction score
As streaming fragments the audience and big studios go all in on existing IP, I think M. Night Shyamalan has found the winning formula for film making in this new economy, small budget, quality films that more than double their production budget. He's also self-financed his last few films, which has allowed him to do what he wants outside of the studio system.

I somehow missed Knock at the Cabin when it came out, and I get some people don't like it, but it is a well done film with a phenomenal cast that feels more like a heady play than a horror movie. He self financed that film's budget of $20 million and it made $54 million at the box office without a huge marketing budget. His last films have all been small budget, self-financed films. The Visit (A budget of $5m grossed $98.5m) Split ($9 million budget with a $278.5m box office) Glass ($2o million against $247 million box office, Old (Which I did not like even a little still made $90 million on a $18 million budget.)

He's found a formula where he finds existing IP in Old and Cabin at the End of the World, adapts it on a low budget and more than gets his money out of it. As box office shrinks I think there's going to be less $100 - $200 million films, and more of these sub $25 million films. I think it's going to be a good thing for writers of high-concept novels as film makers and studios look for unearthed ideas that make compelling films