I Need a Cookie...

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

ladyfickle

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I polished the first chapter of my draft. I felt it is perfection. Like a sculptor, I shaped it with perseverance until I really, really liked it. I asked members of my family and they said it's fabulous.

Today I decided to ask for comments.

So, I sent my favorite paragraph to a friend and he called my MC "a Vampire woman. I have met such women." - he added. "But why," - I asked. "I thought she is sweet." "A sexual vampire" - he insisted. "She attracts you like a magnet you can not escape. And when you stick with her you rot with jealousy and suspicion. This shouldn't happen - a man should not fall in love with such a woman." "Are you telling me my heroine is evil?""Not evil. She can be in love and enchant 15 other men at the same time. She could be the most pleasant and cool being and very wonderful for communication - but - keep your distance."

I decided it is a mistake to send only one paragraph, so I sent the whole first chapter to another friend. She said:
"If I have to explain why I don't like it - it will be strange because I love this type of stories, but the way it is worded is unpleasant for reading, at least for me. For me the story here is like in a textbook of history."

Thus my perfect story turned out to be good for nothing. I need cookies!:)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
"If I have to explain why I don't like it - it will be strange because I love this type of stories, but the way it is worded is unpleasant for reading, at least for me. For me the story here is like in a textbook of history."

While it's a good idea to evaluate your story, I wouldn't worry too much about one person's opinion if you don't agree with it. Someone once read the first scene of a historical romance I wrote and said that the problem was that it wasn't like a textbook of history - i.e. it didn't have lots of period details, lengthy descriptions of the characters' clothes, and so on.

Can't please everyone, so don't stress about it.

Last edited:

ladyfickle

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Marian, you are right. You can't possibly please everybody. You have to be true to yourself at all times, except for thinking about the others.

Black and white winter scene with evergreens in the snow, and a house