“Humans are weird” anthology ($25 per story)

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
In much of science fiction, humans are seen as a boring spacefaring race, soft and weak. But what if we were the strange ones? A recent trend online has been exploring the many ways humans can be weird, and it is fascinating. Even on Earth, we do stand out in a number of ways, from our throwing ability to our endurance (we domesticated dogs because they could keep up with us). Maybe aliens would be taken aback by things we consider normal, like the capacity for eating poisonous things like caffeine. Maybe we unsettle them. Maybe we frighten them. Maybe there are far too many possibilities to explore in one novel!

This anthology will be free to submit to; submissions open in May. Full details are here, and the insider's circle for fundraising and additional content / mini-contests / free merch is here on Patreon. (The funds to pay writers and printer etc must come from somewhere, and this seemed the best way to handle that while making sure it's worth everyone's while. There will be a lot of good content.)

Ideal word count is between 1,500 and 5,000 words.
$25 per story, payable on acceptance.
(One story per author.)

Feel free to spread the word. Let's all embrace our weirdness together.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Ah man, I have a story I'd love to sub to this, but it's just 1000 words. Would that be out of the range of consideration or "give it a shot but it's a lower chance because of length" range?

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
The wordcount is flexible, though see if there's anything it needs in terms of details or description! Either way, quality is more important than the exact length. :Thumbs:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. I’m in the midst of writing a novel, but perhaps I can dust off an old piece of mine and try to tweak it. I was all hyped for the Humans Wanted anthology and this sounds like a similar vein!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
The wordcount is flexible, though see if there's anything it needs in terms of details or description! Either way, quality is more important than the exact length. :Thumbs:

Excellent, thank you! I'll give it a few more prods before May and eagerly await submission time.

Albedo

Cultured vulture
Registered
Reaction score
This is the theme of 3/4 of my output. I could probably submit several stories, alas they're all ten thousand words too long! Look forward to this anthology, though.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Is it for only stories within the existing tradition (quasi-shared-world) of the meme? Or can it be a different take.

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
Is it for only stories within the existing tradition (quasi-shared-world) of the meme? Or can it be a different take.

The goal is something along the lines of the existing ideas, humans interacting with aliens. How different did you have in mind? Creativity is good; you can always submit it and see.

Charke

Registered
Reaction score
I have sent you a submission titled: The Acid Lights. I hope you enjoy it.

Mark Charke

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currenly exhausted from traveling, but I might might be able to pull something out of my hat. Wish I could say I had a story ready, but we'll see.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away