How'd You Find This Site?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Reaction score
Made a decision to quit all social media and news media to reduce the time-sucking stress both caused. It has been a success. Discussion boards can also be time-wasters, of course, but they don't produce the same level of addiction (for me, at any rate).

Anyway, found this forum by googling 'online discussion boards'. Scrolled through potentially interesting ones, saw this one, and chose it because it is an attractively designed site, seemingly well-moderated, and contains interesting topics.

In the meantime, because this hopeless news junkie no longer watch the news, if an ELE asteroid is ever headed for Earth, I won't know about it. Ergo, no fear, no stress, until the last minute. "Hey, the moon sure looks pretty tonight, and whoa, it seems so close! Oh hold on, the moon's over there. I wonder what on earth the other. . . ." *splat*

Reactions: dickson and Izz

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome along, Occam's Disposable! Yep, one of the great things about AW, in my opinion, is that you can take it all in at your own pace.

And it's also got pretty much everything a writer could ever need to improve their craft and get a handle on the business side of things.

In the meantime, because this hopeless news junkie no longer watch the news, if an ELE asteroid is ever headed for Earth, I won't know about it. Ergo, no fear, no stress, until the last minute. "Hey, the moon sure looks pretty tonight, and whoa, it seems so close! Oh hold on, the moon's over there. I wonder what on earth the other. . . ." *splat*
Just don't look up. No fear and no stress until the final seconds, that way :D

Reactions: Occam's Disposable
Reaction score
Welcome along, Occam's Disposable! Yep, one of the great things about AW, in my opinion, is that you can take it all in at your own pace.

And it's also got pretty much everything a writer could ever need to improve their craft and get a handle on the business side of things.

Just don't look up. No fear and no stress until the final seconds, that way :D
Thanks Izz, I'm looking forward to exploring the site, and if I ever recover from the procrastination (read: unadulterated laziness) that plagues me, I'll dive into the nuts and bolts of things. I'm pro-level procrastinator, so it might take some time.

Also, I need to work on an ELE alert system. That way I'll have time to make a rude gesture at any incoming Occam flattener. ;-)

PS - I see that you used an emoji, but I can't find the motherlode of said?

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Made a decision to quit all social media and news media to reduce the time-sucking stress both caused. It has been a success. Discussion boards can also be time-wasters, of course, but they don't produce the same level of addiction (for me, at any rate).

Anyway, found this forum by googling 'online discussion boards'. Scrolled through potentially interesting ones, saw this one, and chose it because it is an attractively designed site, seemingly well-moderated, and contains interesting topics.

Welcome! Gosh, I purely love your username :D :D

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks Izz, I'm looking forward to exploring the site, and if I ever recover from the procrastination (read: unadulterated laziness) that plagues me, I'll dive into the nuts and bolts of things. I'm pro-level procrastinator, so it might take some time.
Reading the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered is a good way to start, as is browsing the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. They'll give you a good head start on the rules, culture and etiquette of all the various forum spaces.

Taking your time getting to know the place is all good. In fact, we recommend it, if only because the scope of the forums can make them overwhelming at first.
Also, I need to work on an ELE alert system. That way I'll have time to make a rude gesture at any incoming Occam flattener. ;-)
:ROFLMAO:
PS - I see that you used an emoji, but I can't find the motherlode of said?
Go to the three dots next to the wee picture frame at the top of the reply box. Click it and you'll see an option for emojis (plus options for other stuff). We've got the general ones plus a few specific to the forums, such as: :welcome:

Reaction score
Go to the three dots next to the wee picture frame at the top of the reply box. Click it and you'll see an option for emojis (plus options for other stuff). We've got the general ones plus a few specific to the forums, such as: :welcome:
Well no wonder I could not find 'em, they were right in front of me. :rolleyes: Thanks, Izz, for pointing it out, can I blame it on lack of coffee? Sure, because who can prove otherwise?

Reaction score
No worries; I only generated the complete list a few weeks ago, so most people don't know about it.
Funny that I used to hate emojis, never used 'likes' on facebook, etc., etc.. I was fighting the inevitable, and fully embrace the wretched things now, lol. And like 'em, too. 🤨🙂🙃

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score

You might not wish to read Fritz Leiber’s Inconstant Moon.

Says b’rer rabbit.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I’m not certain when I became aware of AW, but it was in the course of google searches for publishers of SFF and how to query. I kept on getting hits that took me to this weird site that was all USENET protocol and occasionally snarky in an appealing way. The rest is history. Gibbons. (Apologies to nat‘l lampoon.)

Reactions: Izz
Reaction score
You might not wish to read Fritz Leiber’s Inconstant Moon.

Says b’rer rabbit.
Oh my god, dickson! Just looked it up, and am thrilled. My most favourite thing in the world is end-of-world, be it a book, movie, series, conversation, coffee cup logo, dream, whatever. It is my happy place.

Thank you for pointing me to one that I've not read. :kiss:

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my god, dickson! Just looked it up, and am thrilled. My most favourite thing in the world is end-of-world, be it a book, movie, series, conversation, coffee cup logo, dream, whatever. It is my happy place.

Thank you for pointing me to one that I've not read. :kiss:
My good deed for the day!

• Love

Koechophe

Registered
Reaction score
Heya, I found this place because AgentQueryConnect got shut down, and I really missed critiquing query letters. I'm involved in a few writing communities, but it's mostly self-published authors. I was looking for some places where people more interested in the traditional route could help each other out.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Heya, I found this place because AgentQueryConnect got shut down, and I really missed critiquing query letters. I'm involved in a few writing communities, but it's mostly self-published authors. I was looking for some places where people more interested in the traditional route could help each other out.
Well, you would've already found our Query Letter Hell, I'm sure. A note before posting in any of the SYW subforums: please peruse the stickies/pinned threads in the Intro to Share your Work room to get an understanding of how crits work here. Enjoy!

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving