How to write a best-selling fantasy novel

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pthom

No argument from me, Lori. Nor, do I believe you'd get any from Niven, Card or Gerrold, et al.

Merely extrapolating on known technology isn't bolognium--as long as it stays within the realm of known physics, medicine, genetics, yadda, yadda. For example: current string theory postulates that the "big bang" was caused by two parallel universes colliding, and such events may be ongoing. Or, for other examples: no reason we can't imagine cloning, genetic enhancements, human life spans exceeding a century...not bolognium.

But -- Faster-than-light travel is...at least for matter we expect to be recognizable once the trip is over. Same goes for a "transporter" that moves matter across vast distances without a receiving terminal. If your story depends on such "conventions" of science fiction, your story is built with bolognium. As for "pure" bolognium? Well, I think there is no doubt a wide variety of the stuff, from raw ore (space-faring dolphins) to highly refined (scrith).

ChunkyC

Mornin' all. Hey Pthom -- feel like flexing your new Mod powers? I was wondering if perhaps it would be an idear to move these bolognium posts out of the '...write a best-selling fantasy novel' thread and into their own, where we could continue to discuss ''how much bolognium is bad for your novel's health'.

Just a thought... :)

Lori Basiewicz

Bolognium

*whine* I don't know if I want to continue this discussion. All this talk about bolognium just keeps reminding me that I still need to go to the university library to look up science articles about plasma energy so I can design the weapon systems used in my universe. :head :ack :head :ack :head

macalicious731

Re: Bolognium

Hmm.. then I have bolognium in my novel, too, and I didn't even know it. Well... sorta. Kinda.

Maybe?

HollyB

I thought FTL travel was a gimme. Or, I should say, I hoped FTL was a gimme. HConn... multi gen spacecrafts okay, wormhole travel okay, warp speed not okay?

1.gif

Luke, use the force...

ChunkyC

I think Warp Drive, being specific to Star Trek, would be bolognium, though a borderline case since it's a construct to allow for FTL. However, the concept of hyperspace is kind of in the science fiction 'public domain', so that would be a gimme even if it does fit Niven's definition of bolognium.

DaveKuzminski

Bolognium

Okay, genetic modification is already possible... been done, so not bolognium (NB)

Overriding dominate genes with recessive...already happens occasionally in nature, I believe, so NB

Orbiting satelites that take energy from sun or fringe of atmosphere where it meets space...possible, so NB

Creatures that can generate electricity...already exist, so NB

Levitation of objects and self...possible for a creature that can generate electricity? B or NB?

Telepathy...B or NB?

Lack of caves, huts, and castles...B or NB?

Yeshanu

Lack of caves, huts, and castles...B or NB?

Definitely B. :lol

Seriously, I think caves are a "gimme" bolognium in fantasy novels, along with castles that are built like medieval castles but need to repel air strikes (from dragons)...

ChunkyC

built like medieval castles but need to repel air strikes (from dragons)
:rofl oh man, I never thought about that particular angle!

HConn

According to _The Physics of Star Trek_ a warp bubble actually distorts space rather than providing motion through inertia.

:nerd

Frankly, I think certain concepts have been grandfathered into the genre. FTL and telepathy are bolognium in the real world, but tradition makes them acceptable in sf. In skiffy, at least.

A Pathetic Writer

You have to have an element of common sense, though... WITHOUT huts, castles, or caves... where the hell does anyone go?

The mall?

HConn

Well, of course they live in the mighty hive built by Our Most Generous Lords.

Praise the holy pollen, fellow citizens! Dance the dance of nectar, fellow drones!

Kempo Kid

Well, I do have a castle. And a cave. And a girl warrior. But the cave is full of stinky bats, and the girl warrior is not (blush) a maiden.

My novel is quite long, though. I got that bit right.

Jamesaritchie

list

Actually, that's a list of things you aren't supposed to do in a fantasy novel unless you don't want the book published.

Kempo Kid

Re: list

Well, like, DUH! Like I couldn't have figured that one out on my own!

Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

Sorry I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away