How to Read More?

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello AW!

I'm Daniel and I'm looking for ways to increase my reading per day. What is the best way for, oh, say a 29 year-old barely busy student to supplement his reading? Strategies? Challenges? What are some of the ways you try to do this?

I want to read more, more, more! :D

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
As the saying goes, if it's important enough to you, you make the time.

Seriously.

If you have a schedule - and if you're a student you probably should - see where you can carve out a few minutes to read here and there throughout the day. If you ride public transit, you can sometimes read during your commute. I often read on my Kindle during break time at work - only about ten to fifteen minutes, but it gets me that much further ahead. (Audiobooks can also be useful; you can "read" while making dinner or cleaning dishes or doing other chores.) Try reading for a half hour before bedtime. Does your computer take forever to boot up? Push the button and pick up a book until all the spinny things stop spinning and you can work. If you game every day, swap out every other day's scheduled gaming time for reading time.

Best of luck!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Deadlines.

I read a book this week because it was 'due' for bookclub. Join a bookclub. I found one through meet up.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I used to read a lot on the bus, in the canteen after lunch. Before my tussles with insomnia, I would read in bed.

Maybe concentrate on finding something you really want to read. If the desire to read is there, you'll find the time.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Daniel. I have the impression, from your posts around AW, that you already read quite a lot — more than most, I’d venture to say. I’d like to know why you want to read more — what do you think you can get from reading more that you’re not already getting from the reading you do? And can you get that by reading differently, rather than necessarily more? How much thinking do you do about what you read? Are you analyzing it for structure, technique, themes, metaphors, etc.?

One thing you might try to get more out of your reading — rather than simply reading more — is to write a few paragraphs about everything you read. It will help solidify your thinking, and help keep some of all that you read in your memory. It will help your writing, because it is practice in turning ideas into concise and clear prose. And it will encourage you to always read with your brain fully engaged.

You have lots of channels in which to share such thoughts with others, if you want to — I know you participate in the What Are You Reading thread here, and the short-story reading challenge. Those are great places to share a paragraph or two about what you’ve read. You can post your thoughts on Goodreads, too. Or, you can just keep them to yourself (though I encourage you to share them, as it will encourage *you* to work harder at making them clear and cogent).

Anyway, that’s just a thought for you to consider — more isn’t necessarily better.

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answers everyone. I'll try to implement those little tricks. Today, I read standing while making my dinner. It worked. Also, I agree with you Lakey!I think reading a little differently and sharing about what I read might make my thoughts more coherent and improve my analytical skills. I already write reviews on LibraryThing, but I'll try jumping in for the short story challenge and offering some input on the stories I'm reading.

Thanks all! :D

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Audio books count.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I also read more than most people but have found that the busy-ness of adulting and teacher life have strongly curtailed my reading habits. (Ouch, what a purple sentence. I'm tired.)

I set aside about 45 minutes before bed. I shower, fire up some music (because I hate silence!) and read then. It's gorgeous and fills me up for the day.

I am reading a book on how to become a "wild reader" (someone who reads outside of school) and one tidbit was, "Always carry a book with you and read when you get a chance." So cooking dinner, on the bus, taking your car into the shop, waiting rooms, etc. That said, I tried it. Didn't work for me. Sounds like it mike work for you.

If you're still trying to increase your reading in the spring/summer, one of my favorite things to do is go to a park and read. It helps me slow down and enjoy a place.

Happy reading!

delb0y

Registered
Reaction score
I always have a few books on the go at any one time - a bedside book, a book downstairs that I can pick up whilst waiting for the rice to boil, sotospeak, a Kindle book for when I want to read whilst the other half is asleep, and quite often a slim paperback in my back pocket whilst going about my day. I still find it hard to find time to read much though. It's not like the old days. Time is so tight in the modern world.

But having multiple books on the go in different locations is one way.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I do the same: various books in various locations - one in the bag for on the bus, one in the basement for doing laundry, and one by the bedside for 'Last Word of the Day'.
Also, if you have trouble picking up and putting down a longer story (keep getting out of the flow, etc.) try books of poetry or short stories for reading sessions that you know are going to be interrupted. I.e. waiting rooms or bus trips.

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
I agree on reading in little paces. And bring the book everywhere! In the toilet, on the couch to read during commercials, when cooking, on the bus/train, during quiet times at work, ...
What also helps me is to get rid of my phone when I don't need it (for example, when everyone's at home and I don't expect any calls whatsoever) and not have it handy, BUT do have a book within reach. So instead of picking up my phone to aimlessly scroll through social media, I read.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great suggestions and feedback everyone! Ace! I'll try also different books for different times. I have a Kindle too so I can take large amounts of e-books with me at any given time. :)

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Oh, and! Maybe setting a reading goal of some kind. You could make a quantitative reading goal for, let's say, a year. But that could also mean you're going to read things just to read. You could advance this by setting a, maybe smaller but maybe more meaningful, goal of some sort. For example: read X books about [insert topic you want to study] before X, or Read X books written by [insert group of people you're interested in] before X, and then DO something with it. That way, reading these books will not only keep you reading, but will also help you with accomplishing bigger goals.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi again Daniel.

It's also okay to read from page 1 to page last, which is what you likely do, but depending on your goal you don't need to read that way. You can sample random pages instead, if you like. You can. For example, I've never read Stephen King but I understand he's good with tension and using concise prose. I could imagine flipping through his books and picking up a few pointers on craft.

It'd be a different kind of reading.

It occurred to me you might be looking to expand your skill set, and I wanted to mention that sometimes flipping to random pages and seeing how people use words can be enlightening.

SYW is good for that too.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks PiaSophia and Patty! I'll try using those methods as well! I think they'll be good. :)