How to format foreign phrases

abwriter10

Registered
Reaction score
The scene is in France. I want to describe the neighborhood in the opening scene. For instance, "On one side of the street is le supermarché (the supermarket) advertising spéciaux de porc aujourd'hui (pork specials today)."

Is that acceptable? I want to use the French terms to provide some authenticity.

Thanks.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Foreign words should be in italics, unless they have entered common use in the main language. For example, I don't think you would need to italicize deja vu, or rendez-vous although I do sometimes still see it that way.

For the parenthesis, I don't think you need it for supermarche (most English speakers would figure it out, particularly from the context), and for the pork specials, it's fine how you have it, but if there is a lot of it I will find it tedious. As with all tools in writing, we need to evaluate when the use of the tools is helpful, and when it's overused, and when it detracts. This will vary for each work when seen as a whole.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed this is in the screenwriting forum after reading Maryn's post. My input relates to prose. I know nothing about screenwriting.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm only able to parrot others (I'm not a screenwriter), but I think you've forgotten that you are not the set designer. It's not on you to provide authenticity when you give information on location.

Unless you have a scene that involves someone entering that French supermarket and inquiring about the sale on pork, you don't incorporate that level of detail in your description of the setting. Try something simpler, like EXT. Commercial French street with multiple stores - Day.

That way the set designer doesn't have to come up with a specific kind of store and make sure their French is perfect when they create the signs.

Reactions: Chris P

KitCarruthers

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
In general, don't italicize anything without a very strong or unusual reason. In the case of a foreign term, you can add in the necessary special punctuation --safest method. If you choose italics, or you choose punctuation symbols, or even if you choose both --that's just as you prefer. But above all keep the rule you choose, consistent when deploying. Don't waver once you set out down the path. Why: because the main goal of a spec script is readability for the Reader. A spec script has nothing to do with production. The Reader is whom you must please and one thing which pleases them is consistency. Just my opinion/experience.