How many books to bring to a book signing?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I've found a library that is willing to give me a place to sign my books. I have no idea how many people will show up so I have no idea how many books to bring (I have to supply my own books). I mean, I would rather have too many books than to run out, but can someone provide some more help on this. Should I ask around the library to get an estimate? Should I look back on their website at past book signings?

Advice and tips on book signings ar greatly appreciated since this is my first one.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about book signings, other than standing in line for a signed book, so...

I think asking the library/librarian about typical turnout number ranges is a great idea. Err on the high side plus, plus say 10% just in case.

Factors that might affect how turnout? How well known are you locally? How well publicized is this event? How many readers in your area are willing to shell out hardcover/paperback book prices to get a signature? Some might be willing to buy multiple copies to give as gifts, if they know your work is good.

If the library does not have a copy, if I were in your shoes, I think I would probably donate a copy of the novel to the library.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've found a library that is willing to give me a place to sign my books. I have no idea how many people will show up so I have no idea how many books to bring (I have to supply my own books). I mean, I would rather have too many books than to run out, but can someone provide some more help on this. Should I ask around the library to get an estimate? Should I look back on their website at past book signings?

Advice and tips on book signings ar greatly appreciated since this is my first one.

In my limited experience, fewer than ten will sell at any particular event. Having said that, you can also ask at local indie booksellers if you can do an event.

I ordered fifty copies so that I could do book signings, and at the two signings I held I sold a total of about six books. Then COVID hit, and all the other things I was trying to line up got cancelled. But I sold a few copies around the neighborhood ... direct sales to neighbors... a few gifts to neighbors in the film industry ... eventually (summer 2020) started putting signed copies in Little Free Libraries. I think I'm down to about ten copies now.

An established author gave a talk at one of our writers clubs and afterward sold her books. She had three titles and sold to about ten folks altogether.

Order early--it can take weeks for Amazon to ship author copies.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
If the library does not have a copy, if I were in your shoes, I think I would probably donate a copy of the novel to the library.
That's a good idea.

In my limited experience, fewer than ten will sell at any particular event. Having said that, you can also ask at local indie booksellers if you can do an event.
Okay. That sounds realistic.