Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Last time I did a signing at B&N, they did give me free coffee and a sammich... mmm...

334 copies sold.
$1700.06 raised.

:)

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
# 27 on Lulu!
smile.gif

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
EmoteSmack.gif
You had to say it.
Emotepoke.gif

Never fear, the online retailer's rankings show that the book is selling steadily via their sites. We should have numbers sometime in December.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know what the other amazon sites are saying - but UK site says:

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica][size=-1]Availability: usually dispatched within 4 to 6 weeks.
[/size][/font]

Note: due to the availability of this product, orders placed now for this item will not be dispatched by Amazon.co.uk in time for Christmas (see last-order dates). However, you can buy it new from our Marketplace sellers. Find out more about Marketplace delivery times.

4 to 6 weeks!!!
Will not be dispatched in time for Christmas!!!!

Already!

Also of concern - in the marketplace TWO of the suppliers claims to be printing POD from the UK
____
£7.83
low-price.gif
New Seller: the_book_depository (Safe buying guarantee)

Rating:
stars-5.0.gif
98% positive ratings over the past twelve months (82320 ratings) Seller has 85350 lifetime ratings

Dispatched from: United Kingdom
International delivery available
Learn more about delivery destinations

Comments: - Brand New. Printed for you and delivered from the UK. Delivery is usually 5 working days from order by Royal Mail, International Delivery is by Airmail.

AND

£9.52
New Seller: quartermelon (Safe buying guarantee)

Rating:
stars-4.5.gif
82% positive ratings over the past twelve months (1183 ratings) Seller has 1183 lifetime ratings

Dispatched from: United Kingdom
International delivery available
Learn more about delivery destinations

Comments: - Brand NEW, Printed on Demand from UK printer, allow 4-10 days extra for printing.

I've no idea how to contact AMAZON to complain about these listings.

I've also no idea how they are doing it.

Maybe I don't understand something but it feels like theft - Are the charities being given money from those sales? If this is not legitimate can we get these sellers banned from amazon?

Edit: I think that this is actually a matter for the police as well as amazon (if it turns out that they have no right to be doing this) - theft from charities or charitable projects is widely news-worthy.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll point this out to Jenna. However, it could just be referring to the printer in the UK that produces the book for Lulu, in which case it's perfectly legit. The books for the UK market are printed in the UK, they're not printed in the US and then shipped overseas, the cost would be prohibitive.

Last edited:

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
If that is the case, I wish I knew why I end up having to buy from LULU and wait three weeks for the books to arrive. If there is an actual lulu related UK printer why can't UK based orders get delivered in a week instead of three by being routed for printing and shipping from the UK? :cry:

(PS: 3 weeks is over-dramatisation on my part - my books turned up nearer to two weeks after ordering - but it could have been days, and the prospect of waiting that long is a detterrent to prospective buyers)

I'd throw my hands up in despair but I think they'd never come down again.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just an fyi, the UK based printer I refer to prints the books for orders placed via places like Amazon and regular bookstores, they don't service the customer directly, just like a company called Quebecor over here prints books for publishers like Tor and Harper Collins, etc. They're like a factory.

As far as the timeline goes, part of it has to do with the few days it takes to manufacture the book when it's ordered, but I have no idea why it should take as long to order from Amazon in the UK as it does to get a book directly from Lulu shipped to you across the ocean.

PS -- you make a good point about wait times, which is why it is better to get bookstores to stock the book if we can. No matter what the product is, people are more likely to buy if they can walk out of the store with it in their hands.

Oh, and one more thing about ship times -- I've ordered numerous books published by traditional publishers, and they've taken just as long to arrive at the bookstore.

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Yep, as far as I'm aware, the books sold through retail channels (including online bookstores) in the UK are printed by Lightning Source's UK office. It's very likely that the timeline listed on the Amazon site is wrong-- but I can check on that.

The timeline in general isn't great, though. I think I waited 10 or 11 days to get my books, too, and I live in the same state as the printer they use for in-house sales. It's pretty inconsistent-- some people seem to get their books in about 5 days, others in 10 or more, when using the same (cheapest) shipping.

The 3rd party vendors in Marketplace have to buy their copies through Ingram or directly through Lulu before they can sell them to customers, too, so not to worry on that-- we always get royalties whenever a new copy is sold. Usually what happens is that the Marketplace vendors don't actually have the books in stock-- they wait for an order to come in, then they call Ingram to get the book, then they ship it to the customer.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, been on a hospital jaunt with lil baby -
reason: worried ________result: nothing to worry about.

It was the printed in UK statements that freaked me out, especially by these places I hadn't heard of. It's all bizarre isn't it - this publishing game.

10-11 days in same state though :roll:

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Oh, yeah, you laugh! Meanwhile, I frighten the mailwoman by staring out the window and pouncing as soon as she shows up.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I should mention that my books did come by UPS International 1st class mail (USPS Airmail Parcel Post PAR AVION) postage $41.00
Not printed in UK at all. Back to not making much sense again.
(and, wooo... $41.00 postage ouch! - how can they afford this free shipping deal? but I'm glad they can!!)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I ordered a copy through amazon.co.uk quite a while ago. I just checked and they're telling me I won't get it till after 25th December.
Delivery estimate: 21 Dec 2005 - 5 Jan 2006 1 of: Stories of Strength
That's very disappointing. I have a reader's group discussion next Tuesday at Ottakar's and I was going to do some big promotion there, and my selling point - great Christmas gift! - is not going to pull. I'm stil going to check to see if Ottakar's can order it from the printers.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all I know is that I made a net profit of $33.42 which got donated to charity.

not bad for a poem I wrote 34 years ago, that I lost and tried to recreate. Even still I messed up on 2 words and could not remember about 5 verses.

I'd of taken $10 for it!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Hey, I noticed we sold a big 12 books on Dec. 4, after none on Dec. 3

Well... I had a craft fair on the third (I make candles) and I put a SOS flyer in every bag that day... musta handed out a good 2 dozen or so. Maybe that had something to do with it. :)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Gabriele said:
Why does it take so long in the UK when I can get the book via Amazon.de in 10 days?

Did you actually get it in 10 days, or does it only say so? Because what they SAY isn't always what the DO. WhenI orginally went to am.co.uk, they said 10 days, then on the websiote it said "in January", and now I got a mail saying it has been dispatched.
The UK website now says it's available in 24 hours!

shelagh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shelaghwatkins.co.uk
aruna said:
I have a reader's group discussion next Tuesday at Ottakar's and I was going to do some big promotion there, and my selling point - great Christmas gift! - is not going to pull. I'm stil going to check to see if Ottakar's can order it from the printers.

How did the discussion go? Hope it went well.

Shelagh

Status
Not open for further replies.