• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How Long Do Editors Take to Respond When You Send in Copy?

Noireazur

Registered
Reaction score
OK, before I ask these two questions, a couple of caveats.

I suffer from anxiety which can lead quickly into depression. It's a part of me and it's something I have to live with. However, one of the symptoms is catastrophising... big time! This might just be a case of that rearing its head again.

Also, I'm a relative newbie to this selling written work gig so it may also be inexperience banging its fist loudly.

I was commissioned to write an article for a leading magazine. The editor has, up until now, been pretty rapid (think hours) in responding to questions and providing information etc. However, since I sent my copy in a couple of days ago, I haven't heard anything. This was a couple of days before deadline. I was also told the picture desk would be in contact so I decided to be proactive and sent photos to the editor and said I'd happily also send them to the picture desk when I heard from it. I haven't heard back.

I sent a few short pitches, which I thought suited the magazine, with the copy too. I'm not worried about these. Obviously it would be nice to get them accepted but I think it's the feeling of seeing my written work in a major publication that would give me the needed confidence that I can do this.

Now thoughts are running through my head that maybe my writing is so awful, they've canned the piece and that I'm kidding myself if I think I can make a go of this.

I realise many people will read this and laugh thinking I'm being ridiculous but, given freelance writing is a solitary pursuit, there's no colleague to express a worry to and be reassured by. Yes, I do have to grow a thicker skin and stop being so precious but, given anxiety is a big part of my make up, it can be difficult.

So feel free to giggle and tell me to "get a grip". In fact, that would help me recognise I'm being ridiculous. However, if anyone could also share there experiences of the above, I'd be grateful. As I said, at this stage I am thinking "I'm awful".

Last edited:

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely catastrophizing, though congratulate yourself for realizing that's a possibility.

Sending in stuff over the transom, my longest delay before acceptance was 15 months. Assigned articles do tend to get accepted or rejected in a much shorter time. But stuff happens. Could be the editor has Covid, or his mother died, or the building burned down, or his wife discovered his affair and his mind is there right now, in his own catastrophe. Could be simple deadline pressures. None of that would have anything to do with you.

Reactions: Noireazur

Noireazur

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely catastrophizing, though congratulate yourself for realizing that's a possibility.

Sending in stuff over the transom, my longest delay before acceptance was 15 months. Assigned articles do tend to get accepted or rejected in a much shorter time. But stuff happens. Could be the editor has Covid, or his mother died, or the building burned down, or his wife discovered his affair and his mind is there right now, in his own catastrophe. Could be simple deadline pressures. None of that would have anything to do with you.

Thank you. In fairness, my wife said almost the same things when she was telling me to "cop on". Actually I think it was "cop the f*** on" but my memory is hazy!!!

Anxiety is a brutal companion at times and the slightest thing can allow it to take over. It's not something I'd wish on anybody. That said, in a roundabout way, I wouldn't be pursuing writing if it weren't for it but why is another story. 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: lorna_w

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In AW's defense, we aren't going to laugh at you. Some members might not understand what you're going through, but mockery? Not happening. (We beat empathy into people if necessary.)

My theory is that this editor skimmed what you sent, was satisfied, and saw no need to contact you noting their approval. The picture desk might have its own problems and be a bottleneck at the best of times.

But you fulfilled your requirement well before the deadline. In the absence of any negative reaction from the editor, it seems safe to presume nothing's wrong.

Maryn, warming up your coffee

Reactions: Noireazur

Noireazur

Registered
Reaction score
In AW's defense, we aren't going to laugh at you. Some members might not understand what you're going through, but mockery? Not happening. (We beat empathy into people if necessary.)

My theory is that this editor skimmed what you sent, was satisfied, and saw no need to contact you noting their approval. The picture desk might have its own problems and be a bottleneck at the best of times.

But you fulfilled your requirement well before the deadline. In the absence of any negative reaction from the editor, it seems safe to presume nothing's wrong.

Maryn, warming up your coffee

Thanks Maryn. I didn't mean mockery as such. The Irish (gross generalisation, I know - sorry!) have a great way about them that they can use humour to get you to come back down to Earth, but in a compassionate way. I probably notice it a bit more about them because of not being Irish (I do live there though). Obviously, using humour nastily exists here too, but I was thinking more along the lines of the first scenario. I didn't explain properly, apologies.

You've given me a different perspective to look at things, though, so thank you for that. Not hearing doesn't necessarily mean dissatisfaction. In fact, it could be very positive in a "I've got what I need from him, he's done his job, now I can worry about chasing xyz which/who I am having problems with".

• Love
Reactions: mccardey

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
If you're working directly with an editor (which is sounds as though you are), then you're at the collaborative stage. It is absolutely fair to write or phone to check on the status. I suspect your editor will welcome the contact, and while there may not be anything to report, dialog is valuable and helps cement a future relationship. Be brief, polite, and professional. Your query is reasonable.

Good luck!

Noireazur

Registered
Reaction score
If you're working directly with an editor (which is sounds as though you are), then you're at the collaborative stage. It is absolutely fair to write or phone to check on the status. I suspect your editor will welcome the contact, and while there may not be anything to report, dialog is valuable and helps cement a future relationship. Be brief, polite, and professional. Your query is reasonable.

Good luck!

Thank you Paul. If I don't hear back a week after I initially sent the copy, I will do as you suggest. I'm just a bit wary of seeming a bit pushy but it's a really great idea.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Don't panic!

One thing to consider is the frequency of publication. Is this a print mag or an online mag? How frequent are editions published?