How icky do you like your horror?

kodak

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Sweet Home is great! Speaking of Korean horror shows, I also liked Hellbound even though I wish they had a bigger budget for CG. And, I recently finished Strangers from Hell, which started out promising, though I found the ending flat. I haven't read any of the correlating webtoons. You? If they deviate a lot from the shows, I'll consider reading them.

DottieLK

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Sweet Home is great! Speaking of Korean horror shows, I also liked Hellbound even though I wish they had a bigger budget for CG. And, I recently finished Strangers from Hell, which started out promising, though I found the ending flat. I haven't read any of the correlating webtoons. You? If they deviate a lot from the shows, I'll consider reading them.
I started watching hellbound the other day! Yeah, the CG isn't the best but its good. I plan on watching the rest over break, I haven't read the webtoon but I probably will soon. Strangers from hell I haven't watched yet, but I've read a few chapters, I recommend trying it just in case- so far, it's pretty good

Gramps

Endless imagination brings limitless nightmares
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an enthusiastic omnivore when it comes to horror. I like the subtle psychological stuff, antique ghost stories of M. R. James and such, but I also dig splatter movies—over-the-top gory stuff. My favorite subgenre of horror film is comedic splatter, like Peter Jackson's Dead Alive. I also love cheezy Z-grade horror flicks. I also love intellectually fascinating horror stories like those by Robert Aickman and Thomas Ligotti. And splatterpunk writers like David J. Schow. Really everything! =laugh=

I'm afraid I don't under stand what "a scale from King to Carpenter" would be. Both do psychological horror, and both do very visceral horror. King is a writer; Carpenter a filmmaker. Apples and oranges, both with a lot of range.

I just finished watching Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities, an eight-episode horror anthology series. Great stuff!
I typically enjoy Stephen King and have most of his works, but like you point out Carpenter makes films based on screenplays or novels and such, and the adaptations can stray from the original writer's conception by a country mile. So again, apples and oranges.

KennyIsArlos

That's rough, buddy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sorry this is late! I watched Sweet Home before I knew the webtoon existed. I love the different kinds of monsters that they came up with based on the desires of the "infected." They're so cool!

For me, the show started off really good, and then it kept going downhill as they strayed further and further from the source material. The CGI was pretty decent, but the only characters I could actually enjoy were Hyun Soo (sometimes) and Sang Wook. His complicated relationship with his family had my heart aching during the webtoon.

There were some moments that I really liked in the show, like hearing Ji Soo play the guitar and sing, but her character was so much better in the webtoon. What do you think?

It's also good to hear that you enjoyed Hellbound! I saw it on Netflix and I thought the trailer looked kind of mediocre, but if you recommend it then I'd give it a watch. Also, get ready for season 2 of All of Us Are Dead! I hope it comes out by the end of the year, but probably not.

Reactions: DottieLK and kodak

kodak

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that Sweet Home was pretty original and also that it went down hill. I've only seen the show. I looked at the webtoon briefly and wasn't pulled in by the drawing style. But, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Hellbound takes a little while to get into. I also liked the comic. No bad CG in the comic haha.

I think I'll give All of Us Are Dead on Netflix a chance. I definitely enjoyed the comic.

Reactions: KennyIsArlos

Kendall_Jackson

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know...I mean I write with gore in it...blood is always there when I write fantasy...but depends on the writer's style, the type of book. Still, too much blood and too much gore ruins the experience. My opinion anyway

DottieLK

Registered
Reaction score
For me, the show started off really good, and then it kept going downhill as they strayed further and further from the source material. The CGI was pretty decent, but the only characters I could actually enjoy were Hyun Soo (sometimes) and Sang Wook. His complicated relationship with his family had my heart aching during the webtoon.
The show definitely strays but I still love it a whole lot. It's true that the webtoon is way deeper but I like random edginess anyways!

Reactions: KennyIsArlos

Phantom F

To be or not to be? Quant-superposition says 'Yes'
Registered
Reaction score
All kinds of horror fascinate me-cosmic, psychological, slasher you name it. I haven't yet consumed a horror piece with gore in it that I haven't been able to stomach. They're all so creative in different ways, so I try to appreciate them for what they bring to the table.

That being said, I absolutely HATE jumpscares. I can watch someone's body get turned inside out, but having someone pop into frame and shout 'BOO'? Hard pass on any form of media with them.

Bonehead

Registered
Reaction score
Website
muckrack.com
I love horror, excluding graphic torture scenes for the sake of torture. That said, one film I'd like to watch again, now that I'm older, is Audition, because a lot of Ryu Murakami's writing is tied in with social commentary. Has anyone read the book? I'm curious how it differs from the film.
I've read it! I liked it, and thought the film and book compliment each other well. The novel includes more back story and makes the main guy less lecherous. That said, it's probably not a much-read as the film makes only a few changes.
"Medical gore" is one of the things that triggers me, but it's really hard to pin down what that is or what triggers that.
Yes! I find a lot of medical shows (real or fake) completely stomach churning but otherwise I don't mind gore. Excessive cruelty is another one for me, like the American Psycho book grossed me out much more than the movie.

Reactions: kodak

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm not a fan of body horror in general, but two exceptions are Infection (Kansen): 2004, directed by Masayuki Ochiai and Over Your Dead Body (Kuime): 2014, directed by Takashi Miike. Kansen stands on its own, but I watched Kuime years ago and it stuck with me even though I was a bit confused. Last year I found on YouTube Ghost of Yotsuya (Yotsuya Kaiden). I prefer the 1959 version to the 1949 version, but they're both excellent. Once I watched that, I rewatched Kuime again. Watching the earlier mavie made my Kaiden experience so much better. I recommend doing it that way.

Jlombardi

Registered
Reaction score
I am not squeamish, and there is very little that bothers me. But I also don't need the gore. Blood and guts alone will not do it for me. It's one of the reasons I never got into the Hostel movies and Prometheus when they were a big deal. The gore didn't make up for the flat characters and plot. Hell, during Prometheus I was practically rooting for the alien monsters I disliked the characters so much. Sorry, the best bad examples I can come up with are movies because I have hit a lucky streak on my horror reads recently.

In books, I still need atmosphere and interesting characters. Nick Cutter's books are gory, and I like them, but they are complete packages. I do have moments where I wish some of my favorite gothic reads had a bit of gore The Watchers by Am Shine is a prime example. I really wanted him to show us that final death scene. All we got was the monsters surrounding the victim as the MC escaped.

That said, I usually do not like child and animal abuse in fiction. I will read such stories in non-fiction, my top two being A Child Called It and a Longway Gone Boy. But it feels like sometimes those two and rape just get tossed in as a 'look how edgy and shocking this read is' form of author masturbation.

Basically, if it furthers the plot or teaches me something about the characters. I am game for just about anything.

Jlombardi

Registered
Reaction score
I've read it! I liked it, and thought the film and book compliment each other well. The novel includes more back story and makes the main guy less lecherous. That said, it's probably not a much-read as the film makes only a few changes.

Yes! I find a lot of medical shows (real or fake) completely stomach churning but otherwise I don't mind gore. Excessive cruelty is another one for me, like the American Psycho book grossed me out much more than the movie.
I didn't even know that one was based on a book. The movie was good. I will have to check out the book soon.

Reactions: Bonehead

kodak

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of body horror in general, but two exceptions are Infection (Kansen): 2004, directed by Masayuki Ochiai and Over Your Dead Body (Kuime): 2014, directed by Takashi Miike. Kansen stands on its own, but I watched Kuime years ago and it stuck with me even though I was a bit confused. Last year I found on YouTube Ghost of Yotsuya (Yotsuya Kaiden). I prefer the 1959 version to the 1949 version, but they're both excellent. Once I watched that, I rewatched Kuime again. Watching the earlier mavie made my Kaiden experience so much better. I recommend doing it that way.
Infection is a great movie. It's sort of like Re-Animator, but creepier and takes itself more seriously, if I recall correctly. I like a lot of Miike's works, especially Dead or Alive. I haven't seen Kuime. I'll check it out. Ichi the Killer isn't body horror, but certainly has its moments.

Reactions: Calla Lily

Basilgeuse

Registered
Reaction score

I'm a fan of body horror, fungal horror, strange mutations, anatomically impossible twisting and stretching, but not so much mutilation or viscera, and I know the opposite is true for some people.

Or is anything to do with bodies too much for you? Do you prefer your horror psychological?

If you've got recs for books in the former category, let me know! Really, anything weird is good.
I love body horror. I love writing it, I love reading it. My experiences as a trans person have drawn me closer to body horror than any other genre—but there’s a line to that. I can’t stomach whenever body horror is simply used for shock or disgust—it tosses aside whatever allegory may have existed, and instead paints the author as… sort of gross?? But I am a *tad* stingy.

Reactions: Jlombardi

Maddiem56

Registered
Reaction score
I like creepy horror rather than visceral. I don't scare easily so psychological/chaos magic/dark/creepy/eldritch does it for me. Kind of like H P Lovecraft on crack.

allyfaye

Registered
Reaction score
Website
allyfaye.sdf.org

I'm a fan of body horror, fungal horror, strange mutations, anatomically impossible twisting and stretching, but not so much mutilation or viscera, and I know the opposite is true for some people.

Or is anything to do with bodies too much for you? Do you prefer your horror psychological?

If you've got recs for books in the former category, let me know! Really, anything weird is good.
I like just about everything horror except shock for shock sake horror like "A Serbian Film" or any of the "Hostel" movies, etc. I am fine with gore to a point, if the story is interesting enough to support it. Definitely don't like medical-themed horror or Saw type stuff (even though I think at least the original Saw is good).