How hard is it for a Canadian to break into the American market?

Rachael7

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if American agents/publishers are less likely to consider you if you don't reside in the U.S.? Thanks.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
If an agent loves your book and can sign you, they'll do it regardless of where you live. However I think there is more paperwork involved within the U.S versus another country. Something to do with taxes or saying your a non-resident receiving money? I remember reading a thread about it somewhere...

But no, agents don't (at least shouldn't) care about that.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I've come across amazingly wonderful Canadian Publishers that don't accept American authors...but never read anything about U.S. publishers saying Americans only...(but who knows maybe they're out there...not sure on that)...don't know if that's the same for agents too

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've come across amazingly wonderful Canadian Publishers that don't accept American authors...but never read anything about U.S. publishers saying Americans only...(but who knows maybe they're out there...not sure on that)...don't know if that's the same for agents too

They are out there.

The only ones in Canada that I know of that won't accept authors from outside the country are pubs that deal with regional topics or pubs that mandate their books to have strong Canadian/Provincial content.

EnitaMeadows

Registered
Reaction score
Publishers care about the place you live about as much as they care about your hair color...which isn't much at all. :) I'm an American being considered by a couple of American presses as well as a couple based in Canada, and none of them care as long as my writing is good.

wordssmith

Registered
Reaction score
How hard is it for an American to break into the Canadian market?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
What about Americans that are THINKING about being Canadian. That's MY issue. ;)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
As a Canadian ex-pat living in Japan, it hasn't been a hindrance to getting published. Everything is done by Internet these days. Now, if you become world-famous and have to go to book signings, then it's a different matter...:)

As others have said, if you're good enough, they'll notice you.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I have a NYC agent and I've seen interest from American publishers (R&R which is on its way back out now).

I don't think it really matters, agents and publishers are mostly looking at the bottom line. If a book will sell they'll buy. Nationality really isn't a big factor.

I did have one British agent tell me they did not accept clients from overseas, but otherwise I never heard a whisper that it might be a disadvantage.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com

This is my experience, totally. The majority of my publishers are Canadian.

Tri

printingray

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
www.printingray.com
Unfortunately, the publishing industry, as I understand it, has been hit hard by the state of the economy as the books are usually bought with our disposable income, the money that’s left over after purchasing the essentials. So publishers do need to be more selective if they wish to survive. What do you think?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the publishing industry, as I understand it, has been hit hard by the state of the economy as the books are usually bought with our disposable income, the money that’s left over after purchasing the essentials. So publishers do need to be more selective if they wish to survive. What do you think?
--

Nice loaded question.;) (Even though you probably didn't mean it as such).

From what little I know and I guess the more knowledgable people here can correct me, the publishing industry has become more discriminating not just due to the recession but also in terms of quality. It was a lot easier to get something out there twenty or thirty years ago (or so I've heard) even if it was crap. (You could probably point to the Twilight series as some have done and wonder "HOW?!" but there it is....).

The other thing is the Internet. With digital books, it saves paper, money, and time, and so the publishers want their traditionally published books to be the best around so they have, IMHO, become more selective, which means a lot of good stories just won't make it for one reason or another. JMO....

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I have seen Canadian publishers who insist on Canadian authors only. I'm not entirely sure why it is... maybe they just want to make sure that CanLit stays as dry and bland, and only set in the prairies or at "the lake," as possible?

Or maybe we're all just so used to the CRTC demanding "Canadian content" that it's spilling over into other media?

It is amusingly (and somewhat ironically) discriminatory, I must admit.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Came across another possible reason for publishers to require "Canadian content"... The Government of Canada Book Publishing Industry Development Program (aka The Canada Book Fund).

Despite what Harper wants to do to arts programs (i.e. "streamlining" the Canada Book Fund), we have a fairly well established system of federal grants to the arts. Publishers who require that authors be Canadian likely get more or different grants from those who don't.