How do you gift your copyright to someone?

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having one of those, "Uh oh, what do I do now," type of health problems, and I need to make some decisions about what will happen to my books if I cark it.

I've seen the thread re Neil Gaiman's blog and the importance of making a will, but I'm wondering how you gift copyright to a person or charity, while you are still alive.

I don't have a legal will, or the money to spare hiring a lawyer to set one up, and I don't actually have anything of any value to leave anyone, so a will seems redundant.

I'm only an amateur writer and don't make any money from my books, and obviously there might not be any charities that would welcome my "gifts," but I wouldn't want my rellies to inherit the rights to my works, so would rather get this sorted before the Reaper makes his move.

So, is there another way to do it? Can you gift copyright to someone, without a lawyer being involved? Any links to sites that explain the process would be much appreciated.

Alternatively, if that idea is too complicated, can anyone suggest any websites where you can make your ebooks available for free? I'm only thinking of gifting maybe two books anyway, so would want to pursue this option with my other KDP works.

What statement re copyright/free use would you need to include? I have only published via KDP and don't have ISBNs so not sure if that would be a problem?

I realise, of course, that this plan will only work if I get a heads up that the Reaper has penciled me in. Just need to know at this stage what my options are.

Apologies if I can't respond to any replies straight away, and also for barging back in here after years of absence. Been distracted by other stuff. TIA.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Google Literary Executor. Basically, you include your copyright along with any other items you want to leave to someone/something.

You have a person who agrees to be your literary executor, whom you discuss this with in advance, and you leave a written legal description of your desires in your will.

There's some information at sfwa.org, too, that I'll try to find for you.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

So glad someone asked this! (But Holly, if the Grim Reaper will leave you alone for awhile, that'd be good.)

Not planning on shuffling off any time soon, but I did want to know that bit. I've had a will/trust since before I started publishing and I'm planning on updating it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Reactions: Holly Green

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Google Literary Executor. Basically, you include your copyright along with any other items you want to leave to someone/something.

You have a person who agrees to be your literary executor, whom you discuss this with in advance, and you leave a written legal description of your desires in your will.

There's some information at sfwa.org, too, that I'll try to find for you.
This:

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
Google Literary Executor.
Thank you for the SFWA link. Much appreciated. Still making my way through that.

I don't have anyone suitable to appoint as a literary executor though, and it feels like that approach is--if you will pardon the pun--overkill, given my circumstances.

I'm just somebody who wrote a few novels on the way to becoming nobody... NB: Not reaching for the violin here, just poking fun at myself, because I (still) can, and imo, gallows humour is the only way to...erm...go... I also prefer to be honest with myself about what I have, and haven't achieved. (I used to be a dreamer but have morphed into a realist.)

Reactions: kinokonoronin

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just somebody who wrote a few novels on the way to becoming nobody... NB: Not reaching for the violin here, just poking fun at myself, because I (still) can, and imo, gallows humour is the only way to...erm...go... I also prefer to be honest with myself about what I have, and haven't achieved. (I used to be a dreamer but have morphed into a realist.)
[/QUOTE]

It's not about money; it's about copyright. It's about someone you trust doing what you want on your behalf when you're gone.

They don't have to be lawyers; they just need to be trustworthy, and have a clear understanding of what you want.

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
Also, please don't cark.

(But Holly, if the Grim Reaper will leave you alone for awhile, that'd be good.)
I'd like to erase The Reaper from my story, but he's a difficult character to take out, and unfortunately my body, damn it, is plotting against me, it seems determined to kill off the narrator...

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Then your desire to do some good with what you have to leave the world is admirable. Go ahead and do it, despite your self-doubt.

Also (and off the supposed topic of the thread), my MIL chose to live with her cancer. And you know what? She lived at least a decade longer than anyone expected her to. Not saying you'll do that too, but we do all need to face the inevitable someday. Making peace with it is not a bad idea.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Reactions: Holly Green