How close to timing do you need to be

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Belle_91

Words are life
Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

So I have an idea for a book about witches. Ideally, I want to have it ready by Oct. for agents and while I’ve already written 20k words, I’m afraid I won’t have it competed and beta read and edited in 8 months. I’ve heard timing is everything in the business, and I was wondering if my chances would be hurt that much if I queried it in Jan or Feb?

Thank you.

Diospyros kaki

inserps typos wherever she goes.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Belle!
I'm sure someone with a lot more experience than me will give you an answer, but, first of all, I don't think querying a book with a Halloween theme around October will particularly enhance your chances, so definitely query when you have a draft 3 or 4 (or 7 or 8) that's been beta read and combed over and everything, whether that's in October or March or October again.

People certainly have produced polished and ready manuscripts on a time line like that.

By "it's all about timing", I think that's more to do with whether you're querying a book that echoes some major popular blockbuster that's just come out or, less fortunately, querying a something similar to one after everyone is sick of those tropes.

Witches, as a general concept, spring eternal.

It could definitely be fun kismet if an agent got to read your query at a thematically appropriate time, but then you're not even in control of when they read the query after you submit, so I'd file this near the bottom of your querying time line considerations.

Good luck!

Diospyros kaki

inserps typos wherever she goes.
Registered
Reaction score
Not like any of us in query hell or preparing for query hell, I'm sure. ;)

Reactions: dickson

Sage

The Answer to Life, the Universe, & Everything
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just because you send a query in October doesn’t mean it will be read in October. No need to limit yourself. Query when you’re ready :Sun:

Reactions: Belle_91

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
A book can take anything up to a couple of years to get launched after it is acquired. If the publisher wants to launch it for halloween they will just schedule it for the next October.

Reactions: Belle_91