• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hill Nadell Literary Agency (formerly Frederick Hill Bonnie Nadell)

LindsayP

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

Has anyone out there ever had any experiences with Elise Proulx? She's with Frederick Hill Bonnie Nadell Literary Agency in San Fran.

Thanks!

LindsayP

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

I found her on the AgentQuery website. No one seems to have any experience with her, might be a scary sign, then again, I'm jumping the gun. She just asked to see a parial.

Thanks!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
LindsayP said:
I found her on the AgentQuery website. No one seems to have any experience with her, might be a scary sign, then again, I'm jumping the gun. She just asked to see a parial.

Thanks!
FWIW, here's what she's done for other people:

http://www.writersleague.org/agents2006.htm

Elise Proulx is an associate at San Francisco's Frederick Hill/Bonnie Nadell Agency, associate editor at The Threepenny Review and on the executive committee of Litquake, San Francisco's premiere literary festival. Elise was previously an agent at Lowenstein Associates and an assistant editor at Henry Holt and Owl Books and has worked for Spin Magazine and Fox News. She is especially interested in timely literary fiction; quirky fiction, including women's fiction; mysteries and crime fiction; travel narratives; history; narrative non-fiction; journalism; and books on health, science, medicine, and the environment.

Her clients include Gary Amdahl (Pushcart Prize-winning author, Visigoth), Dr. Emily Morton (Stanford Medical Center), Associated Press reporter Scott Lindlaw, and novelist and short story writer Karen Brown (O. Henry Award winner). The agency's clients include David Foster Wallace (Infinite Jest), Sen. Barbara Boxer (A Time to Run), Antonya Nelson (Some Fun), Domenic Stansberry (Edgar-winning author of The Confession), Pulitzer Prize-winning Los Angeles Times reporter Sonia Nazario, and many other award-winning journalists and fiction writers.

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
I just received a request from Elise Proulx for the first fifty pages of my manuscript.

bjb (fingers crossed!:)

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
I met Elise at a conference back when she was with Lowenstein-Yost, and she asked to see a partial of my novel.

I sent it, but before she had time to respond I was offered representation by a respected agent at a major agency, so I sent Elise an e-mail thanking her but telling her to recycle my partial. She sent back a very kind note in reply.

So, I'm in no position to vouch for her as an agent, but I did meet her and found her to be smart, knowledgeable, and even (gasp) nice. She seems to lean toward the literary, and has experience as an editor with Henry Holt, as well as a lit magazine and some more pop pubs, such as "Spin". In other words, she's young and relatively new, but she does have some connections and she has apparently made some sales. I'd have no hesitation about querying her.

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
Just an update to a message I posted earlier about Elise Proulx; she e-mailed me last Monday to say she enjoyed the first fifty pages of my novel and wanted to read the rest. Of course, I sent it to her IMMEDIATELY. I just hope she keeps enjoying it. :)

Best of luck to all those who are hunting for an agent.

bjb

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, BJ! As I said above, I was quite impressed by her, and would expect her to make a great agent if you sign with her.

LindsayP

Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed

BJB,

My fingers are crossed for you. She utlimately rejected my first fifty pages, but send a very nice rejection letter. Good luck and I hope she loves your first fifty!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any recent experience with these agents?

jenniiyq2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjennijames.com
On Saturday July 26th, I equeried Elise Proulx. On Monday she wrote back asking for the first fifty via snail mail. I emailed back--nicely--informing her that other agents were currently reading the full ms and as i live in England (US military base) I was worried the partial would take too long to get to her. She emailed back and said to send it via email attachment.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone worked with this agency recently? I queried Fred Hill and just got a request for 50 pages. Many thanks.

Last edited:

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
I looked them up on several sources. Two had two different addresses in San Francisco. One had an address in Los Angeles. They don't have a website.

None of this means they're not a legitimate agency (Publisher's Marketplace lists deals as recent as March), but some agents sure play hard-to-get!

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for looking tbrosz. The agency has a "$ Recommended" on P&E and they have represented some big names. They do seem incognito though, I agree. Off the partial goes today - I will update with info when I get it.

Dear Author

Yep, still at it.
Registered
Reaction score
Off the partial goes today - I will update with info when I get it.

Any news to report? Fingers crossed for you...

May I ask what address you've used for correspondance? I'd like to query but they don't take equeries & AQ lists the address as: PO Box 720301
San Francisco, CA 94172 while PM lists it as: 8899 Beverly Blvd., Suite 805, Los Angeles, CA 90048