Hi there! Are there any science non-fiction writers here?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

dvorak11231

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I'm a fresh college graduate with an interest in writing science non-fiction. I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum since I was looking for a place to share my work and learn from other writers. It looks like the majority of writers here are in the fiction genre, which is not at all a problem since the goal of science writing is to communicate complicated science stuff to lay readers. However, I do wonder if there are any science writers lurking in these forums?

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hello and :welcome: to Absolute Write, dvorak11231! :)

dvorak11231 said:
However, I do wonder if there are any science writers lurking in these forums?

Well, I'm not one of 'em, but I'll still say hi and welcome! :LOL:

BTW, considering your screen name, are you a fan of classical music? :)

Norsebard

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Great to see you. As for AW, yes, it's mostly fiction folks, and non-fic in general and non-fic science especially is usually discussed in terms of current events or "wow, look at this cool thing." But non-fic does have a home here, especially to the degree we participate as such. My writing here is mostly fiction, but that's been mostly mothballed while I work on a historical non-fic project.

I'm a scientist (entomologist), getting to the part of "midcareer" where I'm starting to think about "late career" stuff. Most of my published scientific writing was in the first 15 or so years of my career, where I published many peer-reviewed journal articles, and just a handful of more general articles. I did have one "feature article" publication, and as I look toward retirement, I'd love to do something like that to stay busy once the punch-clock days are over. Currently, most of what I write is internal memos explaining science, or analyzing the impact of certain actions based on a scientific understanding, or as part of larger documents doing so on a larger scale. I've not been in the lab for 10 years now.

You mentioned you're a recent college grad. Will writing scientific non-fic be your day job? What type of coursework, etc. did you do for that? As I mentioned, I would consider doing that as a retirement occupation, but I don't know if I really have the stomach to start an MFA program or something similar once I start spelling my age with a 6. I have some ego telling me I shouldn't have to do all that and just start writing, but I know better. Those credentials are going to make it so much easier to "just start writing," especially if I'm only going to do it freelance for 10 to 15 years or so before I retire completely.

Reactions: Helix

Meg Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a non-fiction writer, with a science background (cognitive neuroscience). I'm retired and working on whatever I please. I have some project ideas related to my science field, though I'm not actively working on them right now. In any case, welcome! Good writing is good writing, and I find lots of discussion here that is of value.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a background in genetics, microbiology, environmental micro. Various peer-reviewed non-fiction articles.

Writing fiction now, in retirement, but doing my darnedest to bring in the non-fiction... along the lines of my background, above. All part of the effort to help convey science to a broader audience, because we need a scientifically literate populace to get out of this mess.

Congratulations on your degree! Well done.

dvorak11231

Registered
Reaction score
are you a fan of classical music?
Unfortunately not. "Dvorak" is just from a lazy username I used when I was younger and it has stuck with me since. Nice meeting you, and see you around!

You mentioned you're a recent college grad. Will writing scientific non-fic be your day job? What type of coursework, etc. did you do for that? As I mentioned, I would consider doing that as a retirement occupation, but I don't know if I really have the stomach to start an MFA program or something similar once I start spelling my age with a 6. I have some ego telling me I shouldn't have to do all that and just start writing, but I know better. Those credentials are going to make it so much easier to "just start writing," especially if I'm only going to do it freelance for 10 to 15 years or so before I retire completely.
I hope I can make a career out of it, so yes. I have a physics degree, so I didn't get to do a lot of writing in my college life (I probably wrote more Greek symbols and numbers than English words). But I do have some kind of background in writing. I was a contributor on one site and did some freelance stuff here and there. Learning about physics was fun, but I didn't want to become a bench scientist, stuck in a lab every day focusing on just one very specific research. It was when someone told me that learning physics is different from doing physics that I decided to try my luck on writing instead, where I get to learn all kinds of stuff and share them, so here I am.

dvorak11231

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a non-fiction writer, with a science background (cognitive neuroscience). I'm retired and working on whatever I please. I have some project ideas related to my science field, though I'm not actively working on them right now. In any case, welcome! Good writing is good writing, and I find lots of discussion here that is of value.
Hi there, I'm looking forward to reading your work. See you around!

Congratulations on your degree! Well done.
It's nice seeing science-inclined writers in this forum. Thank you!

Reactions: Woollybear

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome, welcome, welcome! :D

You'll love it here, I'm sure. AW is, in my opinion, the internet's premier writing place, with all the info you'll ever need on all things writing and publishing, and home to an amazing community, to boot.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you quickly understand not only the forum rules, but also the culture and etiquette of the various spaces within, and will also help make the forums less overwhelming.

There's a lot to discover, so please take your time exploring, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

And if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

See you around the boards :)
Izz

Reactions: dvorak11231

Unimportant

But you can call me Fran, if you prefer. Or birdie
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I'm a fresh college graduate with an interest in writing science non-fiction. I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum since I was looking for a place to share my work and learn from other writers. It looks like the majority of writers here are in the fiction genre, which is not at all a problem since the goal of science writing is to communicate complicated science stuff to lay readers. However, I do wonder if there are any science writers lurking in these forums?
Quite a lot of us are science writers of one sort or another in our Day Jobbes, and transform into fiction writers when the moon is full. There are also members, like @Helix, who regularly write for newspapers etc.

In my experience, only a small proportion of scientists are able to communicate technical/scientific information to lay readers in a clear and engaging way. If you've got a talent for that, by all means exploit it!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Catriona Grace

Registered
Reaction score
Count me in the nonfiction science writing group. I have a degree in agriculture with past career emphasis on range conservation and ecology. My current job is naturalist in a museum for which I write and produce a quarterly newsletter devoted to regional wildlife. Magazines and newspapers are other outlets for my work. I also write fiction, and don't even need a full moon to inspire me (good one, unimportant!).

Welcome, Dvorak, and congratulations on your shiny new degree.

dvorak11231

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for the welcoming responses! I'm really glad I found this forum, and I'm pumped to get into writing and share it with y'all.

HogansHiro

Registered
Reaction score
I used to write very extensive reports for the Air Force and NSA that bordered on narrative story telling. Although I am more of a fiction guy I do have some extensive government writing under my belt. Its nice to see a fellow newbie.