Hi, I'm another writer!

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

free turtle bear

Registered
Reaction score
Dear AW Forum,
thank you for having me! I guess it's time for an introduction.

I have been around the forums before (mostly lurking), but at that time writing, for me, was more a wish than anything more. I had written bits and pieces, but had nothing solid. Mostly, when I did write, I just hit Delete on whole pages because I felt they weren't any good. Coming here and calling myself a writer felt like a fraud.

But! In the meantime, I have learned to write on paper, so I cannot just delete everything; and this year I made my first sale: I sold my firstborn first story to an anthology, which is out this month! *happy dance*

So: hi, I'm the Free Turtle Bear and I write speculative fiction. I'm currently focusing on short stories, though I have two novels on the back-burner (both still at the idea soup research stage). I love to travel, speak four languages and am currently living in Italy. I will read almost everything (except horror), though I have a special fondness for fantasy.

Happy writing to everyone!

Reactions: Izz and Woollybear

Mjfaraldo

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, welcome! I'm new too. Which languages do you speak? I've always been fascinated by languages and I would love to learn more, I just lack the time to dedicate to it though.

Maryn

Fully Autumnal
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm the same old writer. (Sorry, I could not resist) Congratulations on your sale; may it be the first of many.

You'll find many kindred spirits here in terms of what they write and prefer to read, so any time you feel ready, dive in.

Maryn, glad to meet you

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome (officially) to the greatest writing place on Earth! It's great to meet you, Free Turtle Bear!

Congrats on your first sale! That memory will stick with you for the rest of your days :)

As you would've already gathered while lurking, AW is chockfull of information on writing and publishing, and populated by an awesome community of writerly folk. You'll find a bevy of spec fic writers hanging out in our Science Fiction | Fantasy room, and plenty of helpful info in our Short Fiction area. Too, the Write 1 Sub 1 challenge might be up your alley. Check it out (if you dare ;)).

While you've been a member for a while, I'll still throw a reminder your way to read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered (and which is also stickied here in the Newbies room), as well as the pinned threads in each forum space.

Keep exploring and lurking, join in conversations you find fun or interesting, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

Reactions: Maryn

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! Free the whales! Free the turtles! Free the bears! And a very warm welcome to you 😆😄 despite the fact that I speak only one language.

You will find many kindred spirits here, in all of the languages.

free turtle bear

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for this welcome! You people put a new smile on my face!

@Izz: I'm afraid I write too slow for challenges (I am a turtle after all :D) but thanks! I'm still exploring, AW is so big and full of treasures.

@Unimportant: I love whales, how did you know? They are great company!

@Mjfaraldo: I'm sure you know plenty of other things that I would find fascinating. For me it happened to be languages (it helps that I work with them) :)

Reactions: Izz and Mjfaraldo

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving