Hello!

Conkster

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

My name is Colin. I'm an English teacher in Boston, MA! I'm just recently really finding a passion for writing and so I was looking for a cool community of people to expand on that with. Looks like I found it!

I can tell from how the rules are organized and the few posts I've read that this is really cool, mature, and inclusive community. I'm really happy to be here!

I love to write all sorts of stuff, but lately I've been into sort of campy horror (maybe just the time of year!). I was also delving into some fantasy stuff. Reading wise, I'm big into murder mysteries, so any recommendations there would be cool! I've been writing my whole life, but I've never gotten *serious* about it. However, lately when I do it, it just has been making me really happy and fulfilled. So I want to really get more into it, meet more cool people like yourselves, and see what I can do with it. Of course, the dream is to one day be able to make a living. Right now, I am an English teacher, which I do absolutely love, but know I can't sustain forever.

I do beta read on occasion. I worked professional as a writing coach for a few years in college, and I really enjoy seeing other people's writing, and especially what their process looks like. It gives me more ideas for myself, and it's really cool that it's unique to each person, ya know?

Writing, video editing are my two main hobbies. I also own a rather large discord community of folks who like to play long-term social politics games with cash prizes, among other fun activities. I spend a lot of time working on that, so you could say that's a hobby as well!

Uh I can't think of too much more that's interesting about me. I'm 24! Probably young, but I've been called an old soul. You'll notice I ramble a lot. That's about it! Nice to meet all of you!

Reactions: Set2Stun and Izz

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, even I was young once, and I still remember it. Kind of. So we obviously have a lot in common, being 24, but at very different times.

You're at an excellent place for writers at every level. We've got people whose books are on your shelves, and people who haven't published anything and may never get there, and everything in between. We've got genres that are hard to find elsewhere (mine among them) and people who both write and read the same things you do.

Campy horror is lots of fun, IMO. I've never written it campy, but I've tried my hand at horror and found it... delightful isn't the right word, but it's close.

Anyway, welcome to you. I'm sure I'll see you around the boards.

Maryn, smoothing her hostess apron

Reactions: Izz

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Have you heard of Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie Brown, Lillian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who... series and Diane Mott Davidson's mysteries.

The first two feature animals that nudge their human partners toward the right clues. I have never got around to trying any of the recipes in the last Davidson's books, yet. The protagonist is a personal chef/caterer who can't stay away from mysterious happenings. She drives the police nuts, but also helps them out, so it all works out in the end.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Colin! It's nice to meet you :D

AW is, in my opinion, the premier writing place on the nets. There's excellent information on all aspects of the craft and business of writing, and an amazing community to engage with, filled with all manner of writerly folk (who, as you rightly observe, are all kinds of cool, mature, and inclusive). The place is big, which means it can be easy to get lost/overwhelmed at first but if you take your time exploring you'll find your hangout spots soon enough.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. Not only will doing so help you understand the forum rules but also the culture and etiquette of the many individual spaces within.

You'll likely enjoy hanging out with our horror hounds in the Horror subforum, and with the many fantasy and scifi writers who love talking shop in our Science Fiction | Fantasy room. Too, I'm sure your insights will be valued in our Share Your Work area. There is a 50-post requirement before you can share your own work for critique in there but you can get to offering crit/insight immediately if you so desire. Before posting in SYW please peruse the stickies in the Intro to Share Your Work space.

Explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself :)

See you around the boards!
Izz

Reactions: Maryn

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Conkster! I'm pretty sure you've found the right community, where you will fit right in and find plenty of like-minded peeps.

Conkster

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Colin! It's nice to meet you :D

AW is, in my opinion, the premier writing place on the nets. There's excellent information on all aspects of the craft and business of writing, and an amazing community to engage with, filled with all manner of writerly folk (who, as you rightly observe, are all kinds of cool, mature, and inclusive). The place is big, which means it can be easy to get lost/overwhelmed at first but if you take your time exploring you'll find your hangout spots soon enough.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. Not only will doing so help you understand the forum rules but also the culture and etiquette of the many individual spaces within.

You'll likely enjoy hanging out with our horror hounds in the Horror subforum, and with the many fantasy and scifi writers who love talking shop in our Science Fiction | Fantasy room. Too, I'm sure your insights will be valued in our Share Your Work area. There is a 50-post requirement before you can share your own work for critique in there but you can get to offering crit/insight immediately if you so desire. Before posting in SYW please peruse the stickies in the Intro to Share Your Work space.

Explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself :)

See you around the boards!
Izz

Will do! Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

I love to write all sorts of stuff, but lately I've been into sort of campy horror (maybe just the time of year!).

I can relate. I think most of my horror at this point borders on camp :p

Are you more into writing short stories or novels?

Right now, I am an English teacher, which I do absolutely love, but know I can't sustain forever.

Huh?

Uh I can't think of too much more that's interesting about me. I'm 24! Probably young

You'd hardly be the youngest. I believe AW has a few active members in their teens. I know that AW had rather recently had a few introduction topics where somebody mentioned being in their teens or early twenties, although I haven't seen as much of them afterward. There's certainly no right or wrong age for writing, and the earlier a consistent habit develops the longer you're able to do it.

When you said "English teacher," I was assuming 30s or 40s, so I'll confess a little surprise there.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can tell from how the rules are organized and the few posts I've read that this is really cool, mature, and inclusive community. I'm really happy to be here!
And we're very happy to have you here. :Sun:

ETA: I think cool is stretching it. Mature and inclusive, yes - just not sure about cool. (Although Maryn does a good imitation...)

Reactions: Set2Stun

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: I think cool is stretching it. Mature and inclusive, yes - just not sure about cool. (Although Maryn does a good imitation...)

idk, sometimes it's hip to be square.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And we're very happy to have you here. :Sun:

I am cool. Super cool. So cool I am practically frigid!

Pay no mind to that Ozzie behind the curtain. The best they can hope for is to be the mediocre and powerless Oz.

Kiwis, on the other hand, rock. And welcome you wholeheartedly.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pay no mind to that Ozzie behind the curtain. The best they can hope for is to be the mediocre and powerless Oz.

Kiwis, on the other hand, rock. And welcome you wholeheartedly.
Harsh, but - yeah, to be fair, Kiwis do rock.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy, horror, and any other spec fic -- woohoo! Short stories are icing on the cake. Welcome X 10000000.

Just keep an eye on the Ozzie's. Can't trust those buggers.....

Us Kiwis, though, we rock. Hugs and we!come and let's talk more about fantasy and horror.....

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just keep an eye on the Ozzie's. Can't trust those buggers.....

Us Kiwis, though, we rock. Hugs and we!come and let's talk more about fantasy and horror.....
Is this something you're planning to post every 30 minutes now? Because that seems a bit gloaty... Fair - but, gloaty.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is this something you're planning to post every 30 minutes now? Because that seems a bit gloaty... Fair - but, gloaty.
That's me, gloaty mcgloatface..... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: mccardey

Conkster

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

I can relate. I think most of my horror at this point borders on camp :p

Are you more into writing short stories or novels?
Short stories for now.

Just a LOT of work, a lot of pressure, and something I know will be tough the older I get.

You'd hardly be the youngest. I believe AW has a few active members in their teens. I know that AW had rather recently had a few introduction topics where somebody mentioned being in their teens or early twenties, although I haven't seen as much of them afterward. There's certainly no right or wrong age for writing, and the earlier a consistent habit develops the longer you're able to do it.

When you said "English teacher," I was assuming 30s or 40s, so I'll confess a little surprise there.
I'm definitely young to be a teacher, but so far it's going well! Just a lot of outside work, which I knew going in.