Hello to all.

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

T.D.H.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Tremen.

I’ve never been a member of an online forum, so I have little idea what I’m doing. It was suggested that I introduce myself, so here I am.

About me... Well, firstly, I’m a bit of an introvert. It’s a character trait I’ve tried to quell, but every such encounter has left me battered and bruised. Secondly, I don’t much like to talk about myself. That’s not to say I suffer from debilitating low self-esteem. It is to say that, given the multitude of topics available, I can’t fathom why I would choose to discuss ‘me’. I mention this because, when combined, these factors make writing a few words about myself a tad daunting. So, I think the best thing to do is to dive straight in to why I’m here.

Over the years I’ve written a couple of novels and a few short stories. I find it hard to tell if they’re any good. I’ve spent too much time with them. I think the problem is akin to staring at your face in the mirror for too long. Features warp and mangle. Objectivity is lost. So, eventually, I would like to share some of my work with you fine people (and, from the snooping I did prior to signing up, you do seem ‘fine people’).

But not right now, and not just because 50 post minimum requirement. Right now I just want to get the hang of things. A little later, I want to give feedback and beta read and do all the other things an active member of this community should—partly as a way of paying my dues, partly because it is right and fair that I do, and partly because it sounds like a good way to learn. It also sounds like it could be fun (Not proper, accepted fun of a sort most blithely partake in. Not extrovert-fun. Not talking to pretty strangers or dancing until 2am fun. But fun nonetheless.).

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Tremen! I reckon you will fit in here very well indeed. Welcome.

Take all the time you need to figure things out. We will be here for you. If you get truly lost or discombobulated, just ask. If you are too shy to ask in public, pm (private message, the envelope icon thingie) me.

We are all here to support our fellow writers.

Reactions: T.D.H.

Mjfaraldo

Registered
Reaction score
Tremen, welcome! I'm new too. And I'm also a bit of an introvert (I used to lie to my friends as a teenager and say I was grounded to stay home and read.)

What genre do you write? Are your books a series or stand-alones? I love reading most things (except horror.)

Have a lovely day! 😊

T.D.H.

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Tremen! I reckon you will fit in here very well indeed. Welcome.

Take all the time you need to figure things out. We will be here for you. If you get truly lost or discombobulated, just ask. If you are too shy to ask in public, pm (private message, the envelope icon thingie) me.

We are all here to support our fellow writers.
Thanks for the warm welcome and the kind offer.

T.D.H.

Registered
Reaction score
Tremen, welcome! I'm new too. And I'm also a bit of an introvert (I used to lie to my friends as a teenager and say I was grounded to stay home and read.)

What genre do you write? Are your books a series or stand-alones? I love reading most things (except horror.)

Have a lovely day! 😊
Another friendly welcome! It's much appreciated.
As for what I write, I suppose it is mostly sci-fi and fantasy (although I didn't set out with the express intention that that is what they should be). Some stuff for children too. So far, they are stand-alones; but I'm not against sequels.
No horror...but they could all be horrible.

Reactions: Mjfaraldo

Maryn

Fully Autumnal
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Psst! Treman! Yes, you. Let you in on a little secret. A lot of writers are introverts. Not all, but a lot. This is one of the few places I can mention taking two months to make that phone call I need to make and everybody isn't just sympathetic but totally gets it. One thing I would love to survive the pandemic is no-contact means of doing business. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to make and confirm an appointment online, for instance, or order a pizza just the way I like it without speaking to a human.

So not only are you among you own kind in that respect, but sci-fi and fantasy? We've got loads of fine people who write it. Take the time you need to read the various stickies on the boards that interest you, then some of the recent posts. You'll find lots of people you're going to enjoy.

Maryn, glad to meet you but not glad she needs to call to see the eye doctor

T.D.H.

Registered
Reaction score
Psst! Treman! Yes, you. Let you in on a little secret. A lot of writers are introverts. Not all, but a lot. This is one of the few places I can mention taking two months to make that phone call I need to make and everybody isn't just sympathetic but totally gets it. One thing I would love to survive the pandemic is no-contact means of doing business. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to make and confirm an appointment online, for instance, or order a pizza just the way I like it without speaking to a human.

So not only are you among you own kind in that respect, but sci-fi and fantasy? We've got loads of fine people who write it. Take the time you need to read the various stickies on the boards that interest you, then some of the recent posts. You'll find lots of people you're going to enjoy.

Maryn, glad to meet you but not glad she needs to call to see the eye doctor
Thanks, Maryn.
Your reply reminds me how overdue I am for an eye test.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Tremen! It's nice to meet you :)

You'll love it here, I'm sure. AW has everything you need to help you on your writing path. Information on all aspects of writing and publishing, an awesome, welcoming community, and much more. The forums are large and can be overwhelming at first but if you take your time exploring you'll acclimate soon enough.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, plus the stickies at the top of each forum page. They'll help you understand not only the rules of the forums but also the culture and etiquette of each separate space within.

Don't feel you have to hurry, either. One of the great things about AW, in my opinion, is that you can travel it at your own pace, interacting as much, or little, as you find comfortable. Lurking is absolutely acceptable :)

Explore, lurk, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you want to, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

rileyariel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Tremen, I do think writing about yourself is daunting. But I also think we're all in the same boat, so I hope that eases a few of your worries. I'm also new to this forum, and to writing actually, so I understand feeling a little lost. Good luck to you! May all us newbies find our footing soon :)

T.D.H.

Registered
Reaction score
Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, plus the stickies at the top of each forum page. They'll help you understand not only the rules of the forums but also the culture and etiquette of each separate space within.

Don't feel you have to hurry, either. One of the great things about AW, in my opinion, is that you can travel it at your own pace, interacting as much, or little, as you find comfortable. Lurking is absolutely acceptable :)
Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

Lundgren

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome :)

As already mentioned, a lot of us are introverts and quite a few of us write scifi and fantasy (or them... I'm fairly new here as well 😁 even if I'm also an introvert that writes scifi and fantasy). So you will fit right in.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving