Hello new and established authors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cady

Hey guys.

I'm new here and this site seems like a great free forum to share thoughts and gather ideas from. I have been an author for many years now and have finally decided to break through into the publishing industry. One of my short stories titled 'Growing Up' is being published by Author Identity and I'm so very excited. This short story compilation is going to be released soon and I can't wait to get my hands on it. This publishing home has helped me with many marketing ideas and I am eager to get started by utilizing them. The name of the book is 'The Shortcut: 20 Stories To Get You From Here To There' so keep your eyes out for my first publication. I am always open to suggestions and seeing that I am a newbie, the more help the better.

jester

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Cady, and welcome to AW

Jester

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Cady, welcome to AW... you'll learn a lot here. You can start by following that link in Silver King's welcome and take to heart the warning Uncle Jim has there. PA is very bad juju - and it sounds like this Author Identity is just like them. Run. Fast. Away.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Cady -- welcome, and all the best with your short stories!

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
Welcome Cady and congratulations! Regardless of which route you choose to get you *from here to there*, it's your final decision and as long as it works for YOU that's all that should matter! I'm sure you've weighed the pros and cons and you seem happy and able to deal with its outcome. Good for you!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cady and a Big Welcome:welcome: kimmi

Cady

Thanks for the warm welcome from mostly everyone.

Well, there are some good things to be taken from this forum and some bad. Seems like there is an awful lot of encouraging authors supporting each other and a few bad apples bashing people and companies that they don't know much about.

I truly appreciate the advice from a few of you and must say that the publisher that I am working with has been nothing but helpful and supportive. If people are upset at the fact that Author Identity wants you to help sell your own book then I'm not sure what they are doing in the writing business. Writing a story can come naturally, it's the selling you have to work hard at. Being an author is about hard work, a tiny bit of fame and self-gratification, not getting rich.

You also have to remember that everyone is new to a business, trait, or skill at one point in time and can only learn from their accomplishments and failures. I'm sure these not so happy writers weren't aces when they first started and I think its quite unforgiving to expect perfection out of anyone or any company. Anyway, I can only say great things about Author Identity and fail to see where a valid point had been made in a few of the AIP bashing articles.

Away from that point, thanks again for all the hellos and I wish you guys success in the year 2007! Check out my story titled, 'Growing Up' in The Shortcut: 20 Stories To Get You From Here To There.

Keep on writing!

Dawn R

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dawnrotarangi.blogspot.com
Hi Cady. I'm going to stick my neck out and talk about something I know nothing about. Well, ignorance has never stopped me before! I don't think anyone here was 'bashing people and companies that they don't know much about'. I've never heard of most of publishing companies that are being discussed but I gather that many people here at the Water Cooler have dried a lot of tears and put a lot of plasters on skinned knees from members who have become involved. I truly believe they're trying to help you avoid getting hurt, burnt or worse. If it all works out for you with this publisher, that's great. We'll be happy. But some of the folk here have seen many get involved with these companies to tragic result. Good luck.

Cady

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all your warm wishes, encouragement and words of advice. Keep up the writing and Happy New Year to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.