Hello from Scandinavia

c.hansen

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning :)

I was very happy when I heard of Absolute Write. I've never been in a community of writers before and I'm looking forward to learning from all of you!

I have been telling stories and writing most of my life, but never even considered getting anything published until a few years ago when my husband signed me up for my first writer's course. It was only then I realized that I wasn't the only one in the vast publishing world that didn't have a clue if the writing was good enough or what to do next. It's been exciting, stressful, fantastic, and an extremely educational process so far, and I still have a ways to go.

I am currently living in Norway, but I write in English as it's the language I grew up with. I've only recently finished my first sci-fi/fantasy novel which I started almost 20 years ago, but only got serious about finishing in the past five or six years. The grammar has been a challenge. but since I've been using autocrit, I'm luckily able to get all the help I need with that so far. But no matter what, it's definitely an exciting journey!

A fantastic day to all!

Christina

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! And, from me, a particularly warm welcome to another SF/F fan :) Who wants to read about the boring real world?! ;)

Reactions: c.hansen

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

c.hansen

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.
Will do! Thx for the info! :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Christina! It's great to meet you :D

You couldn't have happened upon a better writing place, in my opinion. AW is not only a global community of writer-minded peoples but also a vast repository of knowledge on all things writing and publishing.

The forums are large, and it can be easy to get lost/overwhelmed at first but if you take your time exploring you'll acclimate soon enough. Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the sticky/pinned threads at the top of each forum. Those resources will help you understand not only the rules of the forums but also the culture and etiquette of the various spaces within. Too, they'll help you avoid potentially embarrassing newbie mistakes.

Check out our International District, where you might be able to connect with other Norwegian writers (and writers from all over the rest of the world, too). You might also enjoy our Science Fiction | Fantasy discussion room. There's plenty more to discover too, so explore, lurk, join in conversations you find fun or interesting, make friends, enjoy yourself :)

See you around the boards!
Izz

c.hansen

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Christina! It's great to meet you :D

You couldn't have happened upon a better writing place, in my opinion. AW is not only a global community of writer-minded peoples but also a vast repository of knowledge on all things writing and publishing.

The forums are large, and it can be easy to get lost/overwhelmed at first but if you take your time exploring you'll acclimate soon enough. Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the sticky/pinned threads at the top of each forum. Those resources will help you understand not only the rules of the forums but also the culture and etiquette of the various spaces within. Too, they'll help you avoid potentially embarrassing newbie mistakes.

Check out our International District, where you might be able to connect with other Norwegian writers (and writers from all over the rest of the world, too). You might also enjoy our Science Fiction | Fantasy discussion room. There's plenty more to discover too, so explore, lurk, join in conversations you find fun or interesting, make friends, enjoy yourself :)

See you around the boards!
Izz
Hey Izz!
Thank you for the tips! Yeah, while browsing through I had no idea where to start :p
Really happy to be here and see you around! :D

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't say welcome, yet. Welcome!! I hope you enjoy it here.

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

I have been telling stories and writing most of my life, but never even considered getting anything published until a few years ago when my husband signed me up for my first writer's course.

Wait, meaning he just went ahead and did on his own without telling you?

I am currently living in Norway, but I write in English as it's the language I grew up with. I've only recently finished my first sci-fi/fantasy novel which I started almost 20 years ago, but only got serious about finishing in the past five or six years.

It was long process, but you crossed that finishing line which is what's important. And with any luck, your next one will be a lot faster ;)

Kamel

Registered
Reaction score
happy days.... where do people submit their work for critque here and is there some kind of system by which you can critique others work in return?

llyralen

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I saw you in the vikinger thread and I mentioned I lived in Denmark (mostly Hillerød/ Allerød) for a few years when I was in my early 20’s on the Dansk thread. Jeg håber vi snakkes mere!

My husband has been working on his SF for 16 years and I will tell him you finished yours! I’d love to hear more about how you got motivated and what you’ve learned and where you are at in your process since it sounds like we are just behind you on it.

I have been studying Vikings for qbout 11-12 years now and haven’t finished my WIP for that story, but this year I finished a shorter story that involves some time travel by way (sometimes) of reincarnation. It’s a Second-chance/ Groundhog Day genre really. I’m working on expanding the story.

I am also planning on writing about the Greenland Norse and Inuit cultures in the 1350-1420’s. I’m telling you all this but would love to hear some more from you. :)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kamel!

Established members can post their work for critique. This is done only in one section of the AW forum, called "Share Your Work" (SYW). The system is that once a member has made 50 posts, they get classified as 'established' and can post their stories in SYW. The same goes for requesting beta readers.

We do strongly, strongly urge new members not to just post "Hi!" fifty times to rush to get there. Instead, engage in conversations and learn your way around the forum, make some friends, and let us get to know you a little better.

New members are absolutely allowed, and indeed encouraged, to critique existing stories in SYW. It's one of the best ways to get to know the forum, and one of the best ways to get to know other people who write in your genre, and one of the best ways for the folks in your genre to get to know you.

The general discussion area for fantasy/science fiction is HERE.

The SYW critique area, with sections for each genre, is HERE.

The introduction to SYW, which you need to read first, is HERE.

Reactions: c.hansen and Izz

Lintqyel

Registered
Reaction score

I am currently living in Norway, but I write in English as it's the language I grew up with.

A fantastic day to all!

Christina

A warm welcome from an equally cold country (Canada), Christina.
I love Scandinavia, been there quite a lot and written about it.
Always good to hear from places you have fond memories of...

c.hansen

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

Wait, meaning he just went ahead and did on his own without telling you?

It was long process, but you crossed that finishing line which is what's important. And with any luck, your next one will be a lot faster ;)
Haha! Yes and no. After a large writing drought, I had been talking to him about wanting to find someone to help me get going again just so I could finish it. Wasn't even thinking about publishing at that point. So he got it for me as a birthday gift.

It does feel great! On a course now that is helping a lot with the editing & Publishing side, so I am getting there! And yes, I think luckily the next one will be easier after all I've learned :)

Reactions: Nether

c.hansen

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I saw you in the vikinger thread and I mentioned I lived in Denmark (mostly Hillerød/ Allerød) for a few years when I was in my early 20’s on the Dansk thread. Jeg håber vi snakkes mere!

My husband has been working on his SF for 16 years and I will tell him you finished yours! I’d love to hear more about how you got motivated and what you’ve learned and where you are at in your process since it sounds like we are just behind you on it.

I have been studying Vikings for qbout 11-12 years now and haven’t finished my WIP for that story, but this year I finished a shorter story that involves some time travel by way (sometimes) of reincarnation. It’s a Second-chance/ Groundhog Day genre really. I’m working on expanding the story.

I am also planning on writing about the Greenland Norse and Inuit cultures in the 1350-1420’s. I’m telling you all this but would love to hear some more from you. :)
Hello again! Yes, I saw your answer in the Viking thread. We should choose one of them and chat there :p ha

It's def never too late to get it done! :D Life kept me very busy for many years with kids, new jobs, moving etc... and once you're out of the habit of writing it's difficult to get back in it, but once you do it flows!
But even when starting up again, I also had to face a lot of insecurities of how good it was and if anyone would like it etc.... until I just wrote for myself, did what I liked, and put aside what anyone else would think, then the story flowed.
That is the best we all can do anyway and any changes that need to be made will be picked up by and editor or a beta reader...etc.... Autocrit as been a huge help for me as well.

That sounds like very cool stories! I'd def read about that.

Held og lykke!

Reactions: llyralen

c.hansen

Registered
Reaction score
A warm welcome from an equally cold country (Canada), Christina.
I love Scandinavia, been there quite a lot and written about it.
Always good to hear from places you have fond memories of...
Love and have wanted to go to Canada for a long time now.
Thank you for your warm welcome...getting colder these days so anything warm is very welcome :p

Lintqyel

Registered
Reaction score
Love and have wanted to go to Canada for a long time now.
Thank you for your warm welcome...getting colder these days so anything warm is very welcome :p

I am sure visiting will become a possibility once again - if not right away, then in a year or so.

That was the idea :)

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Christina,

It's lovely to meet you and I hope you enjoy being a member.

Due to how life is, I currently focus on writing short stories. These tend to be a combo of horror, sci-fi and/or fantasy.

Congratulations on finishing your first Sci-fi/fantasy novel! That is such an achievement.

c.hansen

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Christina,

It's lovely to meet you and I hope you enjoy being a member.

Due to how life is, I currently focus on writing short stories. These tend to be a combo of horror, sci-fi and/or fantasy.

Congratulations on finishing your first Sci-fi/fantasy novel! That is such an achievement.
Haha! Yeah, very applicable subjects.

Thank you for your welcome :) I've enjoyed it very much so far :)

Thank you! But finished and FINISHED are turning out to be two very different things. Ha. As soon as I think I'm satisfied, I go back in and change things about. Am currently putting the whole book through the program 'Autocrit' for grammar & writing checks, which is turning out to be a great learning experience, and hopefully making it better too! Starting to look for a good story editor as well to work on it with me before I submit it. Any suggestions from anyone on would be much appreciated :)

Have a splendid weekend!