Hello, everybody! Norsebard here

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everybody! Michael H. Norsebard here :)

After lurking for a while, I felt the time was right to join up. I'm looking forward to participating in some of the conversations here.

Although I've written quite a few stories since I first put the proverbial pen to paper in 2007, I consider myself a hobby/amateur writer. Most of my stories can be found on online archives and the best message board associated with the Xenaverse community (the Xena Warrior Princess TV show).

My first real forays into the field of writing came in the shape of 'alternative' (Femslash) XWP fanfic back in 2007-2008. Starting in 2009, I tried my hand at what was, and still is, known as Ubers, Beyond Ubers and Originals. Such stories are typically called AU in other fandoms, but that doesn't exactly cover what an Uber is. These days, I write Femslash Originals with the occasional dip back into the Uber/Beyond Uber pool for old times' sake.

Self-pubbing is only worthwhile if it's done right, but that's beyond my financial means. I also know that my skills are nowhere near good enough for what traditional publishing houses demand. All that adds up to having few, if any, ambitions of ever seeing a book with my name on it - however, I'm always looking to gain knowledge through general information and specific tips that might help me improve.

As you may have suspected already, I'm not a native English speaker but a Dane... and a stereotypical one at that as I'm bearded, have a slight pot-belly, drink Carlsberg beer and always wear socks-in-sandals during our glorious 3-week summers :D

In any case - here I am :)

Norsebard

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm a B-movie enthusiast - a fact that's reflected in my preference for writing speculative fic. I've written stories in pretty much every genre from Action to Westerns. I'm particularly fond of writing romantic action adventure tales with a slight creature feature twist (think Tremors meets Romancing The Stone with a B-movie twist).

Norsebard

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
Ooops! Simultaneous cross-posting! :banana:

Thank you for the advice and the links

Norsebard

Maryn

Fully Autumnal
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, Norsebard. (I apologize in advance for fingers desperately attempting to type Nosebeard, which made me laugh.)

You'll find your writing interests well supported here, although we don't post fanfiction for legal reasons. If you take the time to read the links in regdog's post over the next few days, you'll thrive here, I'm sure.

It sounds like your femslash background might lead you to the Erotica board, which has an open-to-all level and a special password level. The instructions to get the password are on the open part. We welcome everyone who wants to write erotic fiction, whether it's for commercial publication, self-publishing, or just because it's fun. (Which it is.)

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Norsebard! It's great you're here :)

You've landed at the right writing shore. AW is packed with information on all aspects of the craft and business of writing (and you may find that self-publishing doesn't cost as much as you think, and/or that the trade publishing bar isn't as high as it might seem), and full of awesome folk, from newbies to established pros, who can help you on your way. The forums are large, and can be overwhelming at first but if you take your time exploring you'll stake out your hangout spots soon enough.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you understand the rules, etiquette and culture of all the different spaces within the forums, so please do read them.

You might find our Science Fiction | Fantasy board a good place to start exploring from, or perhaps our Basic Writing Questions room (which is actually really quite in-depth). And don't forget to check out our International District, where you'll find writerly folks from your part of the globe, and from the rest of the world, too!

Explore, continue lurking if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

Last edited:

Catriona Grace

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm a B-movie enthusiast - a fact that's reflected in my preference for writing speculative fic. I've written stories in pretty much every genre from Action to Westerns. I'm particularly fond of writing romantic action adventure tales with a slight creature feature twist (think Tremors meets Romancing The Stone with a B-movie twist).

Norsebard
Ooo, have you ever seen Gargoyles? Gloriously bad.

Velkomm, by the way. (And that exhausts my supply of Danish words, except Hans Christian Andersen.)

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Norsebard! It's always summer at Absolute Write ;)

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
:Thumbs: Thank you for your warm welcomes, everybody!

Maryn said:
(I apologize in advance for fingers desperately attempting to type Nosebeard, which made me laugh.)

Perhaps I shouldn't tell you I actually do have a 'stache...? :)

(...) although we don't post fanfiction for legal reasons.

Yep, I'm aware of that - definitely understandable as it's just a huge can of worms.

Izz - thank you for all the recommendations. I'll be sure to check 'em all out over the coming days.

Catriona Grace said:
Ooo, have you ever seen Gargoyles? Gloriously bad.

Hmmm, I wonder if that's another title for Gargoyles: Wings Of Darkness or Reign Of The Gargoyles that are both on my DVD shelf... 😁

Unimportant - :Thumbs: :)

Norsebard

Krampus Nacht

St. Nicholas and Krampus