Hello and hopeful to find a community here

Hannah_Deava

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I'm returning to writing as an old friend, after many years of not writing a word. I used to write all the time for myself when I was younger, then life and university and then career climbing all got in the way and there just never seemed to be any time.

I'm from the United Kingdom, specifically a rural little town in North Wales, and I've just come off 6 years of working for the NHS (National Health Service) which as you can imagine has NOT been the best of fun the past 2 years. Struggling with burnout, I turned back to writing for therapy and reminded myself how much I loved it. I dont know any other writers in my area to compare and share with, so looking forward to meeting some people here hopefully!

I'm trying to write literally a bit of everything atm as I get back in the habit, a lot of flash fiction, short stories and poems so far but I particularly love writing magical realism and fantasy.

I like to read very much the same, love some lyrical prose, epic word building and descriptive language. So, some of my favourite authors im currently reading are Adrian Tchaikovsky, Angela Carter and Katherine Arden, to name a few. I also used to read a lot of YA (and still do, Leigh Bardugo and Sarah J Maas being particular favourites) but I'm trying to broaden my horizons so open to anything really. I have local book club and everything with this aim and I'm also slowly working my way through all the 2021 Womans Prize for Fiction shortlist. So...recommendations welcome!

I've never beta read unfortunately but I'm open to it in the future

Other than that, I'm child-free, obsessed with my 2 cats and enjoy eating and cooking foods from every corner of the globe with my partner, the more obscure and random the better.

I'm looking forward to developing my writing of all kinds, meeting other like minded creatives, and eventually one day being brave enough to show my writing to actual other people.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Hannah_Deava! Many of us have gone through a long no-writing hiatus, for varying reasons, so you'll find plenty of folks to commiserate with you here. And plenty of short story and fantasy writers, too, so you'll fit right in.

Gosh, after dealing with COVID healthcare for the last couple of years, you've earned whatever it takes to get over burnout!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to you. It's interesting how something as challenging as writing can also be so comforting when other aspects of life are so damned hard, isn't it? I hope you find the joy and ease you formerly enjoyed as you get into writing again. This is certainly a great place to get yourself going.

I hope it's not too nosy to ask: What are your cats' names?

Maryn, who misses having cats

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Other than that, I'm child-free, obsessed with my 2 cats and enjoy eating and cooking foods from every corner of the globe with my partner, the more obscure and random the better.
Last night I asked google how old my 17 year old cat is in people years. My jaw hit the floor to learn that she is 84.

Reactions: Hannah_Deava

Hannah_Deava

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to you. It's interesting how something as challenging as writing can also be so comforting when other aspects of life are so damned hard, isn't it? I hope you find the joy and ease you formerly enjoyed as you get into writing again. This is certainly a great place to get yourself going.

I hope it's not too nosy to ask: What are your cats' names?

Maryn, who misses having cats
Not at all nosy! They're a mum and daughter pair and we adopted them just weeks after seeing the Captain Marvel movie with Brie Larson a few years ago...so their names are Brie and Marvel šŸ˜

Brie likes to think she is an aloof dignified lady, but is actually a demanding cuddle monster. And Marvel is an eternal kitten, will play with anything, eat anything and stick her nose in absolutely everything because what is the point of anything if it doesn't involve her?

Reactions: Maryn

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Hannah_Deava! You've found your people, I'm sure :D

AW is, in my opinion, the premier writing place on the nets. Information on all aspects of the craft and business of writing overflows our virtual walls, and there is an eclectic, lively community to engage with. The forums are vast, so it can be easy to get overwhelmed at first, but if you take your time acclimating you'll find yourself at home in no time.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you understand the overall rules of the forums as well as the culture and etiquette of each individual space within.

You might enjoy the AW Bookclub, where there's currently a fascinating discussion ongoing about classic literature. Our Conquering Challenges subforum (in the Break Room), might also be a nice place to start exploring from (the password for that forum is in the room description).

Explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :)
Izz

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Donā€™t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other membersā€™ works, or join a discussion.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Hannah - no wonder you needed a break! The NHS has had a lot on its plate, lately...

I hope you find everything you're looking for here - if not, sing out and someone will direct you.

:Sun: