Hello all!

Psychoclown

Registered
Reaction score
New member here. I saw these forums mentioned on several blogs and decided to take the plunge and check out the community first hand.

I've played around with writing on off for a long time. Going back to high school my friends and I would try our hands at fantasy story or video game inspired stories featuring thinly veiled versions of ourselves in them. In my twenties I was writing fairly regularly for a while, but never got close to seeking to publish anything. Finishing projects has always been a struggle for me.

I've spent time doing online role playing games which is essentially a combination of improv and creative writing. And eventually even became involved in some of the world building and creation of NPC characters for some of those communities.

But right now I have an idea for a story/novel that I'm pretty excited and have been making some decent headway on. I know I'll never be someone who maps everything out in advance, that approach has never worked for me, but I have more of a plan than I normally do with this, so I feel like completing it is a realistic goal for me. How good it ends up being is another question of course. :)

Anyway, looking forward to meeting folks here and reading what other folks are producing and hopefully getting a bit of feedback on my own efforts when the time comes.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Psychoclowqn! It's great you're here :)

You'll find AW is everything you could want from a writing community, and more! There's more info here regarding all aspects of the craft and business of writing than you could shake a very large stick at, and the folk who hang out here range from newbies to established industry pros. The forums are vast so can be overwhelming at first but if you take your time getting to know the place you'll have your hangout spots sorted in no time flat.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you understand the rules, etiquette and culture of the various spaces within the forums, as well as help you avoid potentially embarrassing newbie mistakes.

You might enjoy our Novels room and perhaps our Science Fiction | Fantasy discussion area. There's plenty more, of course, so explore, lurk if you want, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you want, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New member here. I saw these forums mentioned on several blogs and decided to take the plunge and check out the community first hand.

I've played around with writing on off for a long time. Going back to high school my friends and I would try our hands at fantasy story or video game inspired stories featuring thinly veiled versions of ourselves in them. In my twenties I was writing fairly regularly for a while, but never got close to seeking to publish anything. Finishing projects has always been a struggle for me.

I've spent time doing online role playing games which is essentially a combination of improv and creative writing. And eventually even became involved in some of the world building and creation of NPC characters for some of those communities.

But right now I have an idea for a story/novel that I'm pretty excited and have been making some decent headway on. I know I'll never be someone who maps everything out in advance, that approach has never worked for me, but I have more of a plan than I normally do with this, so I feel like completing it is a realistic goal for me. How good it ends up being is another question of course. :)

Anyway, looking forward to meeting folks here and reading what other folks are producing and hopefully getting a bit of feedback on my own efforts when the time comes.
Welcome to you, Psychoclowqn! Did you have to pay extra for the q? :D

I can empathise with the difficulties in completing a project. Bleh. Having a plan is good, so yay for you! Will this story be fantasy?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Psychoclown

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to you, Psychoclowqn! Did you have to pay extra for the q? :D

I can empathise with the difficulties in completing a project. Bleh. Having a plan is good, so yay for you! Will this story be fantasy?

A typo I didn't notice when I registered is responsible for the extra q. I'm hoping to get it changed.

My current work is actually more along the lines of cosmic horror. Though a lot of my past projects have had strands of the supernatural or light horror woven into them. Religion is another theme that seems to come up frequently when I write.

I actually have a dormant fantasy work laying around. The general idea for the setting has been in mind for years and years, but I finally found some inspiration to put an actual story together. But I started writing before I really completed my world building, and elements I wanted to include in the world building conflicted with what I had already written. And led to it getting shelved as I couldn't find a way to salvage some of what I wrote and work it with the world building ideas I had. I'll probably come back to it at some point. Like I said the setting has been alive in my mind for a long time.

Catriona Grace

Mind the thorns
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I like the q. Gives you a piquant air.

Mjfaraldo

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! What type of story are you writing? And what RPG did you play? I was a VtM storyteller for a spell, it was great fun and our chronicle was amazing, then life got in the way and some of my players moved away. I do think RPG are a great way to practice your writing and world building.

Anyways, welcome and I hope you like it here. I'm loving it so far 😊

Psychoclown

Registered
Reaction score
VtR was my go to game. Though I dipped my toe into a few of the other World of Darkness games over the years, but it was all second gen stuff so I know VtM only by second hand references and such.

Playing RPGs helped me scratch the writing itch, especially since I did it online and everything was text based. The only thing about online is you don't get to always pick who you play with. Its great when you hook up with another person who cares about writing and character development and such. Its not so lovely when you get someone who clearly puts no effort in their writing and mainly just wants to roll dice and play action hero. I mean I don't judge how other people enjoy playing. Its a game and its meant to be fun, so do what you enjoy. But that sort of playstyle was never my thing.

So actually, I should amend my statement about past works having some light horror woven into them. That was true of past attempts at story writing. RPG writing was primarily in the WoD and often included horror elements.

Reactions: Mjfaraldo