• Yes both shots

Votes: 63 79.7%
  • Just the first

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Nope. Not going to happen.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Trying to get an appointment.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Something else I'll explain in the comments.

• Not eligible yet where I am.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
strewth. In less migrainous news though, NSW's surged to 80% 1st dose, and ACT, TAS and VIC aren't far behind. From the world's laggiest start we're blitzing it. Absolutely smashing it.
Late to the party, but hey we're here now. Where's the keg?

Reactions: MaeZe

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
and the 3rd wave is topping out here as well. the virgin novel coronavirus is turning out to be no match for the chad jabbed newsouthwelshperson.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Late to the party, but hey we're here now. Where's the keg?
easy up now, let's make this a safe, socially distanced celebration for the time being. a tele-kegger. (we literally did this for my dad's birthday, lol). there'll be time for partying when we're all done.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
And now in my totally cool and normal country we're at the point of one of our premiers posting PSAs/political ads seemingly designed by the preferred pharmaceutical MNC of the Australian people, Pfizer Inc. Queensland isn't having a vaccine drive this weekend, they're having a Pfizer drive. Pfizer Pfizer Pfizer. Get yer Pfizer in ya. Hahaha, they've branded the cure.

That's because the over-60s were holding off because they saw Astrazeneca as an inferior product, thanks to dodgy and changing commentary from Morrison and Hunt. This member of the over-60s got AZ as soon as she could.

Meanwhile, Cr**g K*lly is now pushing a new oral antiviral from Merck, because he thinks it's something to do with ivermectin*. He's got no fkn idea what it is. But there are no needles involved, so the fact it is still in trials and has no track record etc is suddenly irrelevant.

It's this stuff: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41594-021-00657-8

* It might have something to do with ivermectin, I've got no idea either.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know what I love? I love the idea of a vaccine passport because literally I do not know a 14-year-old who could not do you a vaccine passport that was indistinguishable from whatever they come up with.

I love the innocence.

It's going to kill us all, but it smells nice.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
That's because the over-60s were holding off because they saw Astrazeneca as an inferior product, thanks to dodgy and changing commentary from Morrison and Hunt. This member of the over-60s got AZ as soon as she could.

Meanwhile, Cr**g K*lly is now pushing a new oral antiviral from Merck, because he thinks it's something to do with ivermectin*. He's got no fkn idea what it is. But there are no needles involved, so the fact it is still in trials and has no track record etc is suddenly irrelevant.

It's this stuff: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41594-021-00657-8

* It might have something to do with ivermectin, I've got no idea either.
Hahaha, how does that sentient pork golem think his followers are gunna get their hands on an experimental antiviral? Quack cures have to be old, out-of-patent meds. That's the whole damn point, subverting the medical/pharma establishment. I could honestly do his job better than he can. (And I fully believe he buys his own horseshit, Not Palmer though. Palmer's double vaxxed with Pfizer for sure. K*lly on the other hand has got the googly stare of a true believer.)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Straya, a-strying:

A Sydney TikTok personality charged after speaking at an anti-lockdown protest in July is in hospital with COVID-19.

The TikToker had risen to fame on the social media platform calling himself “the people’s Premier”, after he correctly “predicted” the NSW COVID-19 daily case numbers before they were announced at the 11am press conference.

To be fair, there's a lot of this going around. Perhaps a vaccine...?

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Late to the party...

Spouse and I both got the Pfizer vaccine and had the same symptoms--mildly sore arm, mild headache, and sleepy the day after. I'm happy to report that my son, his girlfriend, and my in-laws are all vaccinated, too.

Oh, and one incredible side effect for me. I had COVID in April 2020, and while I recovered, I had lingering brain fog and exhaustion. After the second shot, the fog and the exhaustion vanished.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Glad to hear it! I’ve read other anecdotes where vaccinations quashed “long COVID” symptoms.

Thank you! I've read those same anecdotes, and yes, it was an amazing feeling. I had lost the ability to concentrate on the written word, and was devastated to think I would never write again.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
my son, his girlfriend,
Oooooooh, M has a girlfriend!! ::wipes away tear:: ::suddenly feels even older than old::

Reactions: eqb

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Glad to hear it! I’ve read other anecdotes where vaccinations quashed “long COVID” symptoms.
Makes me think that this virus actually stays in the body far longer than we can detect.
I'm boosted. In the meantime today I'm reading all the inconsistent news about getting the booster dose. Can't win.
Israel's science is some months ahead of ours:

Reactions: Introversion

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Me, too. Lots of them. Read articles that document cases, though those are also anecdotal. I used it to, I thought, successfully talk my brother-in-law, a long hauler, and his wife, who also had the virus but did ok, into getting vaccinated.

Bear in mind, they were diagnosed three days after hugging, kissing, maskless, their grandchild over a weekend visit (niece and husband had flown in from TX to FL). They lied. They never got vaccinated. And I found this out because my mother-in-law found out. Now, brother-in-law and sister-in-law are so many months out from their cases that their immunity is probably waning, and they flew to TX to babysit (he'll be three next month), while pregnant niece and husband flew to a big, indoor wedding, no masks in any photos. I suggested, hmmm, maybe vaccines before anymore baby-sitting and they told me that the baby is fully vaccinated because to go to daycare at UT Austin, he has to be. I said, "But that's just regular vaccinations, right? Not coronavirus, right?" They insist the almost-three-year old is fully vaccinated against coronavirus because a daycare in TX requires it. I actually spent a while Googling it, because I figured they're just all lying (they are the worst. Seriously. I hate my in-laws), but I found nothing. I know there are some trials on younger chidden in place, and I read about every one I could find, but based on all I found, that child simply cannot be fully vaccinated against coronavirus, and if any daycare in TX was requiring children too young to be vaccinated for coronavirus to be, it would be national news. If it wasn't for the baby, I wouldn't care what they do {well, I'd still want them vaccinated just to protect others, but the more people who get vaccinated the safer we all are). And if I'm wrong and suddenly, children as young as two can be fully vaccinated, please make my day and tell me. I believe that day it's coming, but I don't think it's here yet.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is no vaccine being used yet for kids. I think Pfizer is close to getting approval but I believe it is in the 5-11 year age group.

I thought she was going to say because the kids in daycare have already caught everything. It's sad people are so poorly informed and the results are more people exposed.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
No; they are not giving any of the COVID-19 vaccinations currently available to three year olds. Nor do I think that will ever happen. They are going to look at possibly authorizing vaccinations to healthy children over 5. But that's not going to happen immediately. It is on the list of "things the CDC is looking at."

Keep in mind that any vaccination must have a prescription with it. Even if you're going to a bulk vaccination for flu or COVID-19, there's a prescription somewhere with your name and your DOB.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me, too. Lots of them. Read articles that document cases, though those are also anecdotal. I used it to, I thought, successfully talk my brother-in-law, a long hauler, and his wife, who also had the virus but did ok, into getting vaccinated.

Bear in mind, they were diagnosed three days after hugging, kissing, maskless, their grandchild over a weekend visit (niece and husband had flown in from TX to FL). They lied. They never got vaccinated. And I found this out because my mother-in-law found out. Now, brother-in-law and sister-in-law are so many months out from their cases that their immunity is probably waning, and they flew to TX to babysit (he'll be three next month), while pregnant niece and husband flew to a big, indoor wedding, no masks in any photos. I suggested, hmmm, maybe vaccines before anymore baby-sitting and they told me that the baby is fully vaccinated because to go to daycare at UT Austin, he has to be. I said, "But that's just regular vaccinations, right? Not coronavirus, right?" They insist the almost-three-year old is fully vaccinated against coronavirus because a daycare in TX requires it. I actually spent a while Googling it, because I figured they're just all lying (they are the worst. Seriously. I hate my in-laws), but I found nothing. I know there are some trials on younger chidden in place, and I read about every one I could find, but based on all I found, that child simply cannot be fully vaccinated against coronavirus, and if any daycare in TX was requiring children too young to be vaccinated for coronavirus to be, it would be national news. If it wasn't for the baby, I wouldn't care what they do {well, I'd still want them vaccinated just to protect others, but the more people who get vaccinated the safer we all are). And if I'm wrong and suddenly, children as young as two can be fully vaccinated, please make my day and tell me. I believe that day it's coming, but I don't think it's here yet.
There are ongoing clinical trials for kids, but at least some of them will have placebo groups (and will be double blinded). The odds of your 3 year old relative truly being vaccinated against COVID are pretty tiny.

Maybe ask them which vaccine he got? It would have to be Pfizer.

The three major U.S. drug companies making vaccines are at different stages when it comes to children’s trials. Pfizer is conducting a single trial for children under 12, Kit Longley, a spokesman, said. The trial has included 4,500 children: 3,000 who are 5 to 11; 750 who are 2 to 5; and 750 who are 6 months to 2 years. Moderna announced on Thursday that the company had finished its enrollment of children ages 6 to 11, totaling 4,000 children, for its trial. Johnson & Johnson has started its Phase 3 clinical trial in adolescents from 12 to 17.

Reactions: MaeZe, eqb and Lyv

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Maeze. I knew my husband's family is the kind of rich, entitled trash who changed nothing in their lives, and traveled even more during even the worst waves of the pandemic, but I thought they might actually care about the baby. I haven't even been hectoring them about the vaccine or masking or anything. They know from social media where I stand, but I'm pretty reasonable there (we're only connected on Instagram, where I rarely post), and I only had one conversation with my husband's brother through my husband about how the vaccine had been show to help with the long haul symptoms he's having, which really are pretty bad. He's aged a decade in pics. I can't stand the man, never have been able to, and my mom, who I've never known to be violent, almost threw a punch at him for his best man's toast at our wedding (my mother-in-law said to me weeks before the wedding, "You're getting my better son.") But I wanted him to stop being a knowing plague rat, so I played nice.

The good news is despite an overnight stay in a jam-packed hospital in rural Florida, my mom-in-law (who is lovely) seems not to have contracted the virus. Based on her account, we were worried.

Editing to add: I am done talking to them. They're all intelligent. At the beginning, when there was so much information and it was hard to know what to do, I send some info via my husband, knowing they knew I was an RN and had to learn to live with a feeble immune system since 1977 (I love microbiology. I wish I'd been able to major in that). At this point, they know enough that nothing I say or ask will make one damn bit of difference. If I thought it would, I'd literally bleed to get through to them. I still work on strangers, and sometimes have success. And as worried about the baby as I am, brother-in-law is such a jerk, he can live with his trouble breathing and aches and pain and brain fog. I have done all I can.

Last edited:

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa.

(CNN)The United States has reached another grim milestone in its fight against the devastating Covid-19 pandemic: 1 in 500 Americans have died from coronavirus since the nation's first reported infection.
As of Tuesday night, 663,913 people in the US have died of Covid-19, according to Johns Hopkins University data. According to the US Census Bureau, the US population as of April 2020 was 331.4 million.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
US hospital CEO to staff seeking “religious exemption” to vaccines: “Swear not to use all these medicines too”

A hospital system in Arkansas is making it a bit more difficult for staff to receive a religious exemption from its COVID-19 vaccine mandate. The hospital is now requiring staff to also swear off extremely common medicines, such as Tylenol, Tums, and even Preparation H, to get the exemption.

The move was prompted when Conway Regional Health System noted an unusual uptick in vaccine exemption requests that cited the use of fetal cell lines in the development and testing of the vaccines.

"This was significantly disproportionate to what we've seen with the influenza vaccine," Matt Troup, president and CEO of Conway Regional Health System, told Becker's Hospital Review in an interview Wednesday.

"Thus," Troup went on, "we provided a religious attestation form for those individuals requesting a religious exemption," he said. The form includes a list of 30 commonly used medicines that "fall into the same category as the COVID-19 vaccine in their use of fetal cell lines," Conway Regional said.

The list includes Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, aspirin, Tums, Lipitor, Senokot, Motrin, ibuprofen, Maalox, Ex-Lax, HIV-1, Benadryl, Sudafed, albuterol, Preparation H, MMR vaccine, Claritin, Zoloft, Prilosec OTC, and azithromycin.

Conway Regional notes that the list includes commonly used and available drugs but that it is not an all-inclusive list of such medicines.

Employees are asked to attest that they "truthfully acknowledge and affirm that my sincerely held religious belief is consistent and true" and that they do not and will not use the medications and any others like them.

The intent of the form is twofold, Troup says. First, the hospital wants to ensure that staff members are sincere in their stated beliefs, he said, and second, it wants to "educate staff who might have requested an exemption without understanding the full scope of how fetal cells are used in testing and development in common medicines."

Troup says that employees who do not sign the attestation form will be granted a provisional exemption, which is only temporary. They may be asked to sign the attestation later and, as the attestation notes, if they fail to get an exemption or a vaccine, they face disciplinary action, including termination.