• We’re running on a new server at a new host with a new forum software called XenForo. Some things are different. Some things may not work as expected. I am working on it as fast as I can. Please be patient. Please read this post.
  • I'm going to be working on the forums for a while. Things may be wonky. I may turn the forums off without notice. Consider this a bit of a public beta test as we figure out the new software and make adjustments. But you've been much missed, and we can't wait to see you again!

Have you been vaccinated for COVID-19?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Have you been vaccinated for COVID-19?

• Yes both shots

Votes: 49 80.3%
  • Just the first

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Nope. Not going to happen.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Trying to get an appointment.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Something else I'll explain in the comments.

• Not eligible yet where I am.

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm fully vaccinated, as are my husband and two young adult kids. We all got Pfizer.

I had no symptoms with the first jab. With the second I had a little shoulder soreness, and I got a humdinger of a heavy period two days after (I am borderline menopausal and this was way unusual).

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, got Comirnaty the moment it was available. (There were only two types of vaccines available for me: Sinovac, or Comirnaty and the latter was way more limited than the former.)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have had both shots - Pfizer. Hubs has had both shots, but he had the AstraZeneca one. I had no symptoms, apart from a tender arm. Hubs had a bit of a reaction to the first jab, okay with the second.

Our youngest (24) has a needle phobia so we're 'gently' encouraging him to go for his.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Got my first (AZ) jab three weeks ago. I'd put my name down with my medical centre and they called as soon as I was eligible. I got flu aches and chills on the first night but was back to normal in a couple of days. Am booked in to have the second jab in August.

Reactions: MaeZe and be frank

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I got my first shot (Moderna) mid March the day my group opened thanks to my husband working in medical IT being able to connect me with his system. He's high risk, so we were desperate to get us both vacced ASAP. Second shot came right before my birthday, and I recovered within a day.

Unfortunately, my husband hasn't fared as well. He's one of the hundreds affected by this:

Most articles are only talking about under 30s, but he's an over 30 who had it affect him (hospitalized two days after his shot), and he hasn't bounced back yet despite his being in February. He's got an MRI next week to check on him. It's...messy. But we'd both still have rather gotten the shot than not.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Here in CA, masks are still required in indoor public spaces, businesses etc. until Jun 15. We're over 50% fully vaccinated here, but rates are slowing down now that it's mostly vaccine-resistant folks who are left. While the state as a whole is doing well and case numbers are dropping fast, my own county only just left the so-called "red tier." No idea why we were so far behind other parts of the state. I don't think our vaccination rates are lower. My only thought is that compliance/enforcement of mandates has been slipshod here. I remember seeing people sitting inside restaurants, for instance, when we were still "purple tier," and very few stores ever enforced the 25% and 50% occupancy rules for the purple and red tiers (and this was way before vaccines were available to most folks).

We did just go to dinner that wasn't take out--sat down at a table--for the first time in ages. It felt nice (take out and delivery are always cold when they get home) but strange too. Almost forgot to put masks back on when we left and walked back through the restaurant. Funny how quickly one lapses into old habits.

Anecdotally, I have just one person in my family who has not been vaccinated and won't be. Next Week I am visiting my mom, who is in fragile health, in So Cal for the first time in ages. My brother is having a get together, and I was sort of shocked to discover he invited that cousin who (along with that cousin's spouse) will not ever get the vaccine because "he is a fundamentalist Christian." I know he's not a member of one of the very, very few denominations that actively discourage vaccination, so I think the excuse is BS. The no-vaccine cousin has always been the laziest person in our family, though, and that has always included lazy thinking patterns, even before he went off the deep end. I'm disappointed but not surprised he went this way.

Wish my bro had been more "tough love" with the get together, though, and said, "No vaccine, no invite." I'm not worried for my sake, but my mom and an elderly aunt (not the mother of the no-vaccine cousin, though she is also fundamentalist Christian and has had the vaccine) will be there, and protection isn't 100%.

My brother, who is an oncologist, has had some issues with his staff, as one person in his office did not want to be vaccinated. He says a surprising number of nurses and other health care workers are refusing vaccines still.

I find it rather shocking that a surprising number of health care workers are refusing the vaccines, given their elevated risk of catching it and the risk of spread to their patients (and having seen firsthand how devastating this virus can be). They, at least, should understand that the health risks from this virus are greater than the health risks of being vaccinated. Clearly they are not getting the education they should be in their schools and training programs, and that bums me out :(

MaeZe

Registered
Reaction score
I got my first shot (Moderna) mid March the day my group opened thanks to my husband working in medical IT being able to connect me with his system. He's high risk, so we were desperate to get us both vacced ASAP. Second shot came right before my birthday, and I recovered within a day.

Unfortunately, my husband hasn't fared as well. He's one of the hundreds affected by this:

Most articles are only talking about under 30s, but he's an over 30 who had it affect him (hospitalized two days after his shot), and he hasn't bounced back yet despite his being in February. He's got an MRI next week to check on him. It's...messy. But we'd both still have rather gotten the shot than not.
That sucks! The only good thought about this is almost all the people who had this adverse reaction have already recovered.

It's true for these adverse reactions that we don't really know the demographics of the people at risk because so far the number of people who have them have been so few relative to the number of doses given. The unusual blood clots with the Johnson and Johnson vaccine were at first reported to be in women but there have been a few men who also had the reaction. The mechanism is an allergic reaction, the same that is seen with the rare cases of a heparin allergic reaction.

It's awful when one suffers from something that is so rare. It's not so rare if it happens to you. I read your post in the other thread and my heart goes out to you.

Forgive me if I'm repeating myself, I've been immersed in this COVID stuff since it began. My expertise is in occupational infectious disease.

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
Just came back from getting the second Moderna shot.

I even got a nice sticker for my trouble! :)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hubby and I have both had both shots (Pfizer). Slight headaches and arm soreness. Gone in 24 hours. We are still not going out except for medical stuff that got skipped in 2020. (All good results so far). Medical offices here still require masks, which is not a hardship.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
My work offers the Moderna shot. Has since February. I got my first one on March 4th, the second April 1st. Had mild side effects, sore arm where the injection was, felt a little icky, tired. The worst was after the second but the worst side effect was the tiredness. After a week the tiredness went away. The sore arm went away after a few days. Some coworkers experienced worse side effects; mild fever, aches and pains, tiredness--as if they were experiencing a mild form of the disease. They generally felt better one to three days afterward. To entice those to get the shot that haven't they offered a $100 incentive. Those who got both shots got the incentive. But no amount of money will get some of my coworkers to take it who truly believe the nonsense they hear about it. It's sad.

PastyAlien

Take me to your reader
Registered
Reaction score
The restaurants at the end of the multiverse
Website
helfrich.ca
Got my shot as soon as I was eligible in April (AstraZeneca). The next day I woke up feeling fine but then BOOM, the side effects hit: headache, fever, dizziness, exhaustion, sore arm, muscle aches--even my eyeballs hurt to move. Slept most of the day and through the night, and then I was mostly fine the next morning.

Our province just opened up second shots to everyone yesterday, so I booked it right away for the end of June (we're supposed to wait 8-12 weeks after our first AZ shot). But they're giving us the option to either get AZ again, or one of the mRNA vaccines. Apparently the few studies done on mixing and matching show much higher antibodies when AZ is followed by an mRNA shot, than when the second shot is another AZ. So, I dunno. I booked it for Pfizer. I wish the experts would come right out and say which vaccine should be the second shot, but I guess there isn't enough data?

OMG, Maggie, I'm so sorry your husband experienced a serious side effect. I hope he has a complete recovery.

Last edited:

SAWeiner

Registered
Reaction score
I got vaccinated as soon as I could make an appointment- with the first shot on March 4 and the second shot on April 2. I'm a Moderna recipient. My wife also did not hesitate to get vaccinated. Covid-19 scared the #$%& out of us and I'm glad to feel significantly safer. I'm still wary of crowded indoor situations though.

Reactions: MaeZe

MaeZe

Registered
Reaction score
Re health care workers who refuse to get vaccinated: Over the years I've gotten a fair number of people who previously refused flu shots to get them. Besides addressing vaccine myths I push the 'infection control' aspect.

But there are always people one cannot reach.