• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

HarperCollins Publishers / Eos / Avon / Voyager

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hello there.
I am just wondering if anyone knows anyting about a publishing company called EOS. I had heard of an author who was offered a good deal through, without even going through an agent.
Does anyone know if they are legit, or how to even contact them.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
The HarperCollins imprint is Eos, not EOS. It does accept unagented work, though I'd guess that like most fiction imprints of large publishers, 99% of what it buys is agented.

There is also an Eos Press that is oriented to gaming.

- Victoria

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
I went to theor link at Harper Collins, but it didn't have a place for submission guildines, and such.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eos

per ralan.com:
EOS (HarperCollins) - major publisher; SF & F. Pays industry standard royalty & advance for 80-125k. No unsolicited subs. Jennifer Brehl, Executive Editor.

Presumably you could send them a one page query letter to see if they'd be interested in soliciting your sub.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know which city it resides. I had just heard of them, why I asked. Because, I had tried to find them, but wasn't able to. I thought I'd ask somebody here.

It's just another author, I had met said she had received an offer from them for her books, but refused it because she didn't want to give up 15 percent. So, she self published instead, which I thought was kinda dumb, but oh well. Her self published books, and novels are real though, and on barness and noble.com, and other book stores. It's called ancientmirrors

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
I went to theor link at Harper Collins, but it didn't have a place for submission guildines, and such.
And that is one of the ways you can tell if a publisher is more interested in selling books to readers than in getting authors to pay to publish.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
It's just another author, I had met said she had received an offer from them for her books, but refused it because she didn't want to give up 15 percent.
The only circumstance I can think of in which she'd have to "give up" 15% is if that were her agent's commission on a sale. Was she clearer about this?
So, she self published instead, which I thought was kinda dumb, but oh well. Her self published books, and novels are real though, and on barness and noble.com, and other book stores. It's called ancientmirrors
Which means nothing. I can write a one-page "novel" consisting of bad alien reproductive-imperative poetry, print it through Lulu, and have it listed on the online stores. Doesn't make me any kind of expert on publishing (or alien reproductive-imperative poetry), though it may impress people who don't know how little it means.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't say it impressed me. I know what self publishing is. No, I am just saying, I actually ordered her books, and they are quite good. They're not lord of the rings, or anything. But, they are still pretty good. There weren't many mistakes, as far as I could see. I could tell, she was good enough to be a professional writer. Plus, she even had a sales rank of $300,000, which isn't great I know. But, it's not bad for a first timer, who self published.

I'm just saying after reading her first book, and second book, the Dragon Queen, why would she have ever turned down a representation from a good publisher like Eos who could have really done something with them. That is, if she really did receive an offer in the first place. But like I said, the books are pretty good. I can be one of the most critical peopel around to.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
And that is one of the ways you can tell if a publisher is more interested in selling books to readers than in getting authors to pay to publish.
Yes, true.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
a sales rank of $300,000,
Er, do you mean 300,000? Because any sales rank that netted me $300K is fine in my book. *g*

why would she have ever turned down a representation from a good publisher like Eos
Nitpicky but important terminology thingie here: You're represented by an agent, not a publisher. You get offers from publishers. Agents represent you in dealings with publishers.

Why she'd have turned down an offer from a major publisher in order to self-publish is such a mystery that I do have to wonder a bit if she isn't exaggerating. Or maybe the offer was from one of the other, less reputable "Eos" publishers.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
Er, do you mean 300,000? Because any sales rank that netted me $300K is fine in my book. *g*

Nitpicky but important terminology thingie here: You're represented by an agent, not a publisher. You get offers from publishers. Agents represent you in dealings with publishers.

Why she'd have turned down an offer from a major publisher in order to self-publish is such a mystery that I do have to wonder a bit if she isn't exaggerating. Or maybe the offer was from one of the other, less reputable "Eos" publishers.
Yes, I meant 300,000rank.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Harper's Resource

Does anyone know anything about Harper's Resource? I googled them and the only thing I could find was a Harper's Resource Consulting company. They are listed on a book similar to mine. I'm thinking the book was self-published and Harper's Resource was used to market it, but I'm not sure.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note--you might want to post this in the Bewares and Background Check (after searching the index, of course). That's where publishers are discussed, for the most part.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks K, I think I thought of that, but thought since I was working with nf, someone in the nf forum would know. So, how do I either move this or close it and post the question there. No need to be double posting.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
HarperResource is an imprint of HarperCollins. I believe it may have been folded into the general HarperCollins imprint, and doesn't exist as a separate imprint any longer.

- Victoria

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the info. Saw the name on a book similar to the one I'm working on. So, I'm guessing if I query them I'd find the editor of that book and send it to HarperCollins?

David I

Registered
Reaction score
HarperCollins New Imprint/New Strategy

HarperCollins in the US has a new, yet unnamed imprint which, according to MedialBistro, "will offer minimal advances and instead split a much higher percentage of royalties with the authors."

These folks are serious about it, too. The new imprint will be headed by Robert Miller, the founder of and President of Hyperion, who will be leaving Hyperion to run the new operatio. But the scheme as related by GalleyCat won't be based on royalties but rather profit-sharing. This may or may not be accurate reporting.

Details are still scarce, but they apparently plan on publishing about 25 books per year.

My current publisher hardback publisher in the UK, Macmillan New Writing, uses a very similar scheme, and came in for a lot of criticism in the UK literary press when it announced its formation back in 2005. The controversy died down after MNW was rather successful, with good sales, outstanding reviews, excellent distribution, foreign-language sales, and movie options.

It will be interesting to see how the HarperCollins version of this scheme is greeted in the US.

Last edited: