Happy Solstice!

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
(Deleted - just a riff on all the fuss in the other thread. Not actually seething, with fury or anything else)

Last edited:

Puddle Jumper

Isn't that tomorrow? Ha, I don't even know what it is.

Happy first day of Winter!!!

Did that make your eyes hurt?

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
So what do you do to celebrate this? Sit in the dark? :)

Take care all - Happy Whatever, Merry You-Know-What, and all that other stuff. LOL

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
CaitlinK18 said:
There's usually a Yule-log involved in my house, and drinking.

Hmmm...that sounds nice. :)

Enjoy.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Solstice really means something where I live. Today we get 5 hours 28 minutes of daylight (I'd say sunlight, except the daytime sky for the past fortnight has been the uniform color of a naval ship). Tomorrow it starts getting longer.

caw.

Puddle Jumper

My dictionary says that it falls on Dec. 22. The calendar next to my computer doesn't give that information, but it does tell me that the emperor of Japan's birthday is on Friday. Interesting that something like that made it on the calendar - why not Bush's and every other world leader? And my calendar thought to tell me that Dec. 26 is Boxing Day. Ooh. Actually, it tells me that Japan's Independence Day was on Dec. 6. The calendar was printed in China. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Hey, wouldn't it be nice if American companies actually did their manufacturing in the USA? Wouldn't that be nice if we could give Americans more jobs? I mean, surely Americans can compile a calendar as well.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
*fills a hot tub with sap*

Anyone want to join me?

It's kinda sticky, but nice and warm. :)

blacbird, wow, a whole 5 hours and 28 minutes of daylight? Where do you live? I remember those days, only I don't recall if we had that much sunshine. ;)

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
My wall calendar agrees with what Pthom said. Today, 18:35 U.T.
YES!
Finally, I'm right, for once.

Actually, the issue of on what day the solstice occurs is interesting. Simply, it changes. The solstice is defined as that point on Earth's orbit where, because of the tilt of the planet's axis relative to the plane of its orbit, light rays from the sun strike the planet directly at a point farthest north (summer solstice) or farthest south (winter solstice). Since it takes Earth approximately 365 1/4 days to complete one orbit about the sun, the date and time for events such as solstices or equinoxes (where the sun's rays strike directly on the equator) are never the same on a calendar.

Check out the time and date for next year's winter solstice and it may indeed be on the 22nd.

But who cares, really? From now, till the summer solstice, sometime around June 21, 2006, the days will become increasingly longer. That's in the northern hemisphere. Those of you in Peoria, Brisbane or Monte Video will be looking forward to increasingly shorter days...and skiing in July.

;)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:banana: Good news! Summer's coming!

Happy Solstice everyone!

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Winter's coming? :( Nah, doesn't sound as appealing...

I can definitely say the sun is directly overhead down here in Australia. My scalp burnt yesterday when I took the kids to the pool. (We live a little over 2 hours south of the Tropic of Capricorn.) And yes, I have hair... I got burnt where my wet hair parted.

For us, summer has begun (current sunrise: 4:56am; sunset: 6.39pm). Tasmania (our southernmost state) observes daylight saving, and has a 5:29am sunrise and 8:50pm sunset today. And the Antarctic? Well, the sun's up 24 hours... (on New Year's eve, the midnight hour strikes in broad daylight).

Happy Solstice!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My calendar & my pagan roommate say it's today.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Pthom said:
Actually, the issue of on what day the solstice occurs is interesting. Simply, it changes.

Use a Chinese calendar -- they list the precise date/time. The Winter Solstice is a huge holiday for the Chinese because days will get longer after that, and the Chinese calendar is very precise. Today's the solstice.