Hands-On Hats! A Miscellany of Millinery

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
So it was suggested that maybe we needed a thread dedicated for hats. So hey, share your favorite hats! Self-made, store-bought, new or historic, neat, useful, fun, whatever...

This was spurred by my mentioning I had recently made a pirate hat with lace. It's the easiest thing to make a cocked hat ("tricorne" is a Victorian neologism) - you just take a regular felt hat blank (a plain unshaped crown with a brim) and tack up the brim in three places. Also, I learned that historically cocked hats with lace were definitely A Thing, and not just for the ladies.

I sewed the brim trimmings on before cocking up the brim. I happened to have a couple of lengths of rayon lace that were a little too short for most projects, but were just about perfect for this (takes about a yard to go around this brim). I threaded some of that thin silk ribbon they sell for embroidery through the lace that would show on the outside.

Then I took an awl and some leather lacing, poked holed in the brim and crown and tied the brim up in three parts. Ta dah!

(I may add a lining later.)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone else play Merriam-Webster's Hat Quiz? It's twenty multiple-choice questions asking for the name of the type of hat shown. I did pretty well.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's the one I missed! I've already forgotten its name, though.

What fascinated me was how many odd ones I knew, I guess just from reading.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did, but got three wrong. I'm embarrassed that I know so few chapeaux outside the American/European styles.

Farnham

No comment.
Registered
Reaction score
Due to local temperatures, right now favoring a large brim straw hat in dry weather, a boonie hat when rain threatens, and a Panama Hat for dressier occasions. Have to wait for cooler weather to wear my fedora.

Reactions: mrsmig