Halloween Costumes!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not making mine (as far as I know right now. I might change my mind), but I'm cobbling together a Followers of the Apocalypse costume (from the Fallout universe) for the significant mister person. Kind of sprung it on me just this week, so he's not getting anything sewn. But I'll have to do a lot aging to his clothes and a lab coat. Not to mention make patches of their insignia and put them on the shoulders.

He's lucky I like him so darn much.

Specval

Registered
Reaction score
I love halloween so much. I love to get creative and do themed costumes. My husband and I have been part of a biker gang, Mario and Princess peach (with our dog as bowzer) and Dorothy and the Tin man with the rest of the Wizard of Oz cast.... I could go on for hours, we've been together for for a very long time.

I wish we had somewhere to go this year. I think we would try a Dr. Who theme. ;)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have the spare $$$ to go all out, so I may just do a Little Red Riding Hood cape and make my dog go as Grandma/Wolf :D

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
No one seems to know what they want to be this year.

Last year I had to come up with a last minute She-Ra costume for my daughter. I had a day and a half notice. Fortunately the cape was all ready made from a previous costume.
cimg0974b.jpg

The year before that my youngest son absolutely had to be Alucard from Hellsing. Yeah, try finding that one at your local wally world :rolleyes:. It put my minimal sewing skills to the test.
Thumbnail, click for larger view.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I am. I've made most of the costumes my kids have worn in the past, but this year we're documenting it. My oldest daughter wants to be a werewolf, ordered in the fake fur and it should be arriving in the next ten days. My son wants to be the grim reaper, and my youngest daughter wants to be laguna blue from Monster High. Last year she was medusa, which was fun, my son was a zombie, with a bullet hole and slice across the neck, which was very cool, it opened and oozed out fake blood whenever he leaned his head back hehe, and my other daughter was a werewolf but with makeup only, she wants a mask this year.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I recently found out the theme for my friends' annual Halloween party. There's always a theme we're required to dress to. *sigh* This year it's a mash-up. Movie Monster + Decade. Like... vampire flower child or flapper werewolf. I have no idea what to do. And ALL of my sewing/craft stuff is in storage, not to mention the fact that I'd have absolutely no space to do any kind of costuming in even if I did have it.

Halloween is always hugely stressful for me.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Is there a decent thrift store near you? I have pulled together great Halloween outfits from stuff I've found there. Think old suit=Mad Men+werewolf, or tailored dress and little hat=stewardess zombie. Just load everything into a strong plastic bag with a cotton ball soaked with ammonia, and leave it in the garage for a few hours to a day. (Most thrift stores wash nothing!)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I found some great devil horns (alone) on ebay, so that might help. This must be the year for cool variations in devil horns :D

I have my Red Riding Hood cape, and my dog is set as Grandma, but I heard from an unexpected guest who needs to be a woodsman. So he's a Cossack woodsman, because that's what I have :ROFL: Cossacks were probably excellent woodsmen! I say it works :D

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a decent thrift store near you? I have pulled together great Halloween outfits from stuff I've found there. Think old suit=Mad Men+werewolf, or tailored dress and little hat=stewardess zombie.

Hmmm.. I just moved, so I'm not sure if there is a thrift store nearby. I will have to check that out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also:

Just load everything into a strong plastic bag with a cotton ball soaked with ammonia, and leave it in the garage for a few hours to a day. (Most thrift stores wash nothing!)
Ewww.

backslashbaby said:
Cossacks were probably excellent woodsmen! I say it works :D
:ROFL:

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I put a pirate gypsy costume together a few years ago with an old skirt I ripped up, some leggings, and an old belly dance costume. The only things I bought was a pirate hat and some boot covers.

Last year I made a kimono, the year before that, I made a medieval-renaissance dress blend. This year I'm making some kind of weird medieval-fairy costume blend (sans wings) with a a masquerade mask, made mostly of old scraps of fabric plus some obnoxious satin I bought for the bodice.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm saddened that I have no costume requests this year. The Kid isn't going to any parties and Kid Two is putting together pieces from past costumes to make some character I've never heard of. And once again, Mr. Maryn flat-out refuses to wear the boiled lobster costume I'm so proud of.

Maryn, whose neighborhood hardly has any kids these days

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm saddened that I have no costume requests this year. The Kid isn't going to any parties and Kid Two is putting together pieces from past costumes to make some character I've never heard of. And once again, Mr. Maryn flat-out refuses to wear the boiled lobster costume I'm so proud of.

Maryn, whose neighborhood hardly has any kids these days

Maryn, do you have a dog? Oh, you may scoff and think it's silly, but if you've never seen how hammy some dogs can be with stupid outfits on, you are missing out :D

We have street carnivals in different downtowns and arts districts where I live, and that's where I mainly go. I'm completely kid-free ;) The one I like best is the more Latino town, because there are so many more kids out at late hours, having a ball. They love my doggy-ham!

On his costume, he's the wolf-grandma. My big Chow-Heeler dog was sniffing him kind of funny with his flannel nightgown on, while I was trying to measure things. The ham is a little guy, so that's no good.

So I put a scrap piece of flannel nightgown around the big guy's neck so that they'd both be wearing it. Now they are both perfectly convinced that gramma flannel is the latest in cool dog fashion :D

:ROFL: They look ridiculous, and yet they are so proud :ROFL:

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Using fun foam to make modified "leather" Plague Doctor masks.

Might have pics by Friday. Might have bitter, bitter defeat and an emergency toga.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Fun! I'm making my boyfriend an Amon from Legend of Korra costume, which I'm almost done with but is going to be cutting it close. I still need to do shin guards, gauntlets, and sew buttons and stuff. Luckily, though, the underneath parts are going to double as a Man in Black from Princess Bride for later on.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get to make anything for myself. :( I don't have a ton of time, and I promised my friend's daughter I'd make her a Slytherin costume. She discovered she looks exactly like one of the kids from the movie, and Slytherin fits her. :tongue Thing is, it's not the easiest costume to find. Hell, I couldn't even get a Harry Potter-esque wizard cloak at the store this year. I guess it's not the "thing" anymore? I had to download one from online.

I probably have to just recycle an old one for myself, which is a little disappointing, but hopefully will work okay. One is a couple of years old and I'm not sure how well it survived the move.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Charles, that is BRILLIANT.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I haven't made anything for myself this year, but I'm making an Assassin's Creed hood for our eldest. Past years' costumes for the children have included Harry Potter, Susan Sto Helit, Zeetha of Lost Skifander, Othar Trygvassen (Gentleman explorer), Usagi Yojimbo, Bullwinkle J. Moose, Piffany (from Nodwick), and a full body Totoro costume.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I love the doggie spider!!!! My little guy (the one in my avatar) was a black spider one year :D His legs weren't as long, but it was very similar otherwise. I can't even remember what I used for them, but that costume was really from household items and black yarn, lol.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
THE PLAGUE RATS!

The masks came out so well, I'm really pleased. They're made of funfoam, and finished with craft paint to look more like leather.