H.P. Lovecraft

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Too hard to choose. Of stories not yet mentioned, I'm quite fond of:

Pickman's Model
In the Vault
The Shadow out of Time
The Haunter of the Dark
The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath
The Terrible Old Man
The Strange High House in the Mist
The Hound
The Shunned House
The Thing on the Doorstep
The Lurking Fear

and the terrifying collaborations with Zealia Bishop, which take HPL from New England to the southwestern deserts:

The Curse of Yig
The Mound

At the Mountains of Madness may be his masterpiece. Or maybe The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, which captures Providence so beautifully. Or The Shadow over Innsmouth that creates from an intimate knowledge of New England a truly iconic fictional town.

Eudoxia

The Undead Bookworm
Registered
Reaction score
Re-Animator, Beyond the Wall of Sleep, The Colour Out of Space, and The Whisperer in Darkness are a few of his stories that I quite enjoyed.

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
So, Lovecraft was one of those authors I forced into my repertoire to give my reading and, hopefully, my writing some variety... and I really got into his stuff. It's all very good. I even got a big collection of his stories on my Kindle that I can browse through at will.

The Colour Out of Space was one of the biggest ones recommended to me and I loved it.

I also liked, as the original poster did, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

What I realized is how much of Lovecraft I had already been exposed to thanks to a childhood of Text Adventures, MUDs and other such early computer games that all use a heavy dose of influence from Lovecraft, Warhammer, and other things. I already knew a lot of Cthulhu and Joseph Curwen before ever reading a Lovecraft book. It was very cool.

Kinda like when I went to Greece and realized how much Greek I already knew from college movies. :D

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I just read From Beyond and I really dig the hard sf angle he was working. I wish HPL would of stretched the story out to better explain the 'bad guy's' motivations.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... only read one of his stories. Set in the desert and had a pyramid in it I believe. Very good. Have a collection of his. Maybe time to have go at another.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've tried to read Lovecraft a few times now. I've made it through "The Call of Cthulhu" twice now, but that's about it. There's something too dense about his writing style that makes me tired when I attempt to read it. It's like he's short on character development and long on grandeous ideas. Poe, for me, is imminently more readable.

mschenk2016

Registered
Reaction score
I love H.P. Lovecraft! He's one of my three favorite authors. The others are Tolkien and Stephen King. I own the Complete Fiction of HPL. I just love the whole Cthulhu mythology. It's one of those things I wish I had come up with myself. My favorites are:

Shadow Over Innsmouth
At the Mountains of Madness
Color out of Space
Call of Cthulhu
The Rats in the Walls
The Dreams in the Witch House
Haunter of the Dark
The Lurking Fear

I have a radio dramatization of Shadow Over Innsmouth done by the HPLHS that's really good. It has professional actors, music, and sound effects. Then I've got the old Xbox game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and the PS4 games Call of Cthulhu and The Sinking City. I also own several movies, but other than the recent Color out of Space there haven't really been any really good big budget movies based on Lovecraft.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving