Grinder's Surprise

Jack McManus

smoothopr8r
Registered
Reaction score
Grinder’s Surprise

Grinder’s pickup truck rolled to a stop and he leaned over to unlatch the door so I could climb in. My head pounded from the previous night’s New Year’s Eve party.

“Mornin’ sunshine,” he said around the cigar stub sticking out of his beard. His voice rattled around the cab like gravel in a tin can as I sat down. “You gotta slam it,” he added. I yanked the door shut and my headache went to a whole new level. Too early for this, and too damn cold.

My hair hurt. “You wanna tell me where the hell we’re going?” I asked as we turned out of the addition. His phone call had been brief, saying only that he was picking me up in an hour and I better be ready. I knew better than to say no.

He glanced at me over his shades. “You don’t remember our New Year’s resolution?”

A wave of panic kicked my heartbeat up few notches as I searched through mental fog. This was not good. Grinder’s twisted sense of humor was legendary. My silence gave the answer.

He laughed and the rally pins on his leather vest danced in the sunlight. He pointed to a Styrofoam cup in the console and said, “I stopped at the donut shop. Have some coffee and think about it.”

I sipped hot brew and tried to kick-start some brain cells. What resolution? Yesterday I’d been ready to kill something after spending the week chasing down yet another dead lead to Pop’s old Harley. It was still just as gone as when it disappeared last month. Other than that, my mind was vapor-locked.

We slowed after a few miles and turned in at my brother’s mini-storage business. Grinder punched in the entry code. The office stood dark, no one around. We drove to the back row and stopped next to a storage unit.

“Gotta get a few things first,” he said and stepped out. “Gimme a hand.”

The overhead door rolled up before we got to it. My brother Jake clapped me on the shoulder and turned to pull a linen sheet covering something behind him. A Shovelhead, same year as Pop’s. Same color, too. Only this one looked showroom fresh.

“Sweet," I said. "Where’d you steal that, a museum?”

He just grinned and said, “Happy New Year, bro,” and tossed me the keys. Mom's high school class ring hung alongside the worn-down key. Pop kept it on there after... I looked at Jake, then at Grinder. Both had shit-eating grins. The motorcycle. The very one the old man left to me last year, that’d gone missing a month ago. Except it had been restored to like-new.

“We stole it, dumbass,” Jake said. “Grinder had his buddy in the sheriff’s office keep you busy looking for it. Oh, and you owe Grinder big for this, by the way.”

Uh-oh. The New Year's resolution.

Grinder spoke up. “You remember it now? You stood on the pool table and hollered you were gonna, how'd you put it? Oh yeah, you're gonna..." He spread his gorilla arms wide. "Ride at least 1,000 miles every month this year, come hell or high water." He folded his arms across his chest and looked thoughtful for a bit. Then, "Tell you what. You do that, and we'll call it even.”

Jake handed me a set of leathers. “Suit up. We’re going on a polar bear run.”

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Nice story, Smoothopr8r! A few things that I think might improve it.

I think you didn't spend long enough building the tension. What I mean is that the story opened, the character struggled to remember the previous night, they went to his brother's shed and Grinder seemed quite pleasant (albeit stereotypically-iffy) all along. The ending, as a result of the insufficient build up, felt quite flat. That's just me, I could be wrong.

A few tautologies sprinkled throughout, but nothing too serious. Oh, I've just seen your sig...make your story more like your sig (well, the first 3/4 anyway).

Best of luck, chat soon.

odubhthaigh2207

Registered
Reaction score
Is this an excerpt from a larger work? There's a lot of backstory that is casually mentioned enough to make me think there is a bit more to tell than what's here. However, in saying that, the language flowed well, easy to read, characters seem thought out. But, and this may seem pithy, I, personally, don't like that title. There, I said it. I'm sorry, but it's true. Forgive me.

Jack McManus

smoothopr8r
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for taking time to read and crit, Spell-it-out and odubhthaigh2207.

Not trying to be obtuse here, but could you elaborate on "tautologies sprinkled throughout?" I went to Wikipedia and immediately got in over my head. The best I could come up with, you're saying it's too formulaic, or perhaps predictable ...?
Never mind, I looked it up in the good ol' dictionary ... repetition, got it. Thanks!
Meanwhile, I'll see about beefing this up some more. Again, thank you both for reading and your insightful comments.

Last edited:

LeadHead

Registered
Reaction score
Hi smoothopr8r! This was a nice well-written piece :). The only thing that threw me was that I don't know why the main character regrets the New Years resolution. Is he thinking it's going to be really boring to ride 1000 miles a month? Is it going to take him away from his work and family? Is it dangerous because he's going on a "polar bear run" (whatever that is)? I think if you explore this a little more, then the ending won't feel so flat.

Anyway, best of luck with it!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my take on it. Suggested deletions are in red. Comments and suggested additions are in blue. I tend to do nitpicky line edits, which some people like and others don't so as always, JMHO. Your opinion is the one that counts.

Grinder’s Surprise

Grinder’s pickup truck rolled to a stop and he leaned over to unlatch the door so I could climb in. My head pounded from the previous night’s New Year’s Eve party.

“Mornin,(capitalize "Sunshine")sunshine,” he said, around the cigar stub sticking out of his beard. His voice rattled around the cab like gravel in a tin can as I sat down. (I do like the previous sentence itself but I find a bit too much explanation, stage direction etc. throughout that really isn't adding anything. There's also a tendency to say two things instead of one. Watch for too much "I did this as I did that" and "and," to vary sentence structure and cut down on the amount of explanation and stage direction stuff. I think your descriptions etc. are well done but flash is too short for much extra. I've cut some out to illustrate my idea but mainly my thought is just to cut back on it some regardless of which ones you choose to keep or cut). “You gotta slam it,” he added. (broken up into two sentences) I yanked the door shut. (drop in a short sentence now and then. Too many of the same length/structure gets a bit monotonous. Here, you have two in a row with "and") and my headache went to a whole new level. Too early for this, and too damn cold.

My hair hurt. “You wanna tell me where the hell we’re going?” I asked as we turned out of the addition. His phone call had been brief, saying only that he was picking me up in an hour and I better be ready. I knew better than to say no.

He glanced at me over his shades. “You don’t remember our New Year’s resolution?”

A wave of panic kicked my heartbeat up few notches as I searched through mental fog.
This was not good. Grinder’s twisted sense of humor was legendary. My silence gave the answer. (him being silent is evident when he doesn't answer. No need to tell us).

He laughed and (all three sentences in this paragraph have "and")the rally pins on his leather vest danced in the sunlight. He pointed to a Styrofoam cup in the console. and said, “I stopped at the donut shop. Have some coffee and think about it.” (I already got a picture of Grinder by him talking around his cigar first thing in the morning, driving a truck that needs the door slammed to shut, and being told his twisted sense of humor was legendary. I don't need more, like the rally pins in his vest and so on. Same with the MC's hangover. Just one strong small detail can stand in for the rest or we only need to be let know once. Flash is easily bogged down with too many small unnecessary repetitions because it's such a small canvas).

I sipped hot brew and tried to kick-start some brain cells. (watch for small repetitions. Here, he tries to kick some brain cells and his mind is vapor-locked. Those pretty much say the same thing so one is enough)What resolution? (I'd put "What resolution?" in italics) Yesterday I’d been ready to kill something after spending the week chasing down yet another dead lead to Pop’s old Harley. It was still just as gone as when it disappeared last month. Other than that, my mind was vapor-locked.

We slowed after a few miles and (another "and" sentence, two in this paragraph. It's also unneeded detail when we've been told several directions they made in the car here- slowed down, turned, drove to the back, stopped... a bit less works just as well) turned in at my brother’s mini-storage business. Grinder punched in the entry code. The office stood dark, no one around. We drove to the back row and stopped next to a storage unit.

“Gotta get a few things first,.(Capitalize "He" and make it a new sentence. Watch for saying "He said, and" or "He said, as he" etc. Save a word or two and put a period at the end of the dialogue. Then say the action, if one is needed. Also, cut another word or two and see if you can skip "he said" completely. If it works without the dialogue tag, cut it) he said and stepped out. “Gimme a hand.”

The overhead door rolled up before we got to it. My brother Jake was waiting inside. (Jake's presence seemed to me to need its own sentence).He clapped me on the shoulder and turned to pull a linen sheet covering something behind him. A Shovelhead, same year as Pop’s. (Maybe put the previous sentence in italics, to emphasize it. This seems the big moment of the story but it's kinda rushed through) Same color, too. Only this one looked showroom fresh.

“Sweet," I said. "Where’d you steal that, a museum?”

He just grinned and (telling us that someone grinned or laughed (said earlier) seems like it can usually be cut and not missed. We get their emotions from the context more often than not so saying their facial expression is often redundant and too much spelling-it-out-for-us) said, “Happy New Year, bro,” and tossed me the keys. Mom's high school class ring hung alongside the worn-down key. Pop kept it on there after... I looked at Jake, then at Grinder. Both had shit-eating grins. (more grinning, not needed imo. Also, telling us that people looked, glanced, turned, etc. is often not adding anything so can be cut for a tighter flash story. We already assume people are focused on whatever's important at the time) The motorcycle. The very one the old man left to me last year, that’d gone missing a month ago. Except it had been restored to like-new. (We already know this. Saying things again seems like it will add emphasis but it often has the opposite effect with flash and dilutes the message. I like leaving it at the ellipses that let us know something new- Pop's death was recent).

I'd reconsider the story from this point. "Someone does something nice, the end" is not that interesting of a story imo even though what the nice thing was here has had some complications in the past that we're told about rather than shown "in real time. " More niceness after this gets kinda meh. Ending it here would be better imo and omitting the New Year's Resolution part.

What would make it a really great story imo would be an unexpected twist of some kind at the end, then going back and tweaking the rest so it fit. Since the direction of the story has been positive (aside from the off-screen difficulties of him thinking the bike was stolen), reverse it, slam him! This is where it gets hard. Earlier you said Grinder's twisted sense of humor was legendary. Instead of the happy ending can you think of something that shows us Grinder's twisted sense of humor? Ex. The bike is painted Barbie pink for some reason or portrays some twisted version of a New Year's resolution the MC had drunkenly made (however, that would require a shorter timeline because a drunken New Year's resolution seems like it would be made on New Year's Eve at the bar, not a whole month earlier). Or the happy ending is cut short when the buddy from the sheriff's office shows up and arrests the MC because he had been so desperate to get his "stolen" bike back that he somehow committed a felony. Or a different keychain is with the bike, the spare keys that were in his mother's jewelry box, showing that Grinder had been having an affair with the MC's mother...

“We stole it, dumbass,” Jake said. “Grinder had his buddy in the sheriff’s office keep you busy looking for it. Oh, and you owe Grinder big for this, by the way.”

Uh-oh. The New Year's resolution.

Grinder spoke up. “You remember it now? You stood on the pool table and hollered you were gonna, how'd you put it? Oh yeah, you're gonna..." He spread his gorilla arms wide. "Ride at least 1,000 miles every month this year, come hell or high water." He folded his arms across his chest and looked thoughtful for a bit. Then, "Tell you what. You do that, and we'll call it even.”

Jake handed me a set of leathers. “Suit up. We’re going on a polar bear run.”

This is a good start and you have a good touch with characterization and dialogue. Hope my suggestions help. :)

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome! :)