Greetings Everyone: Introductory Post

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

krakman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thank you for having me in the community. I'll keep in tradition with the 'Writing Your Introductory Post' recommendation, so here goes:

What genres do you write?
I suppose only one, with that being contemporary fiction. I am extremely new to writing, currently being in the throes of my first attempt at it, with that being a ~60,000 word manuscript that I started exactly 32 days ago. It's been a wonderful adventure this last month - one equally balanced with torment and excitement - and one that ultimately lead me here.

What do you like to read?
Literary fiction, or at least that's what I believe it to be. I'm currently reading Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov while simultaneously working my way through a Hemingway Boxed Set (Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bell Tolls, etc.). I tend to read two books at a time, one being a little more complex in terms of it's prose and interpretation (Dostoevsky) in tandem with something simple to pick up throughout the day and to fall asleep too (Hemingway). Beyond that, I love George Orwell and John Irving, and my Amazon book list is growing faster than I'll ever be able to consume given the incredible length of some of these incredible books (darn you, Dostoevsky!).

How long have you been writing?
Devotedly and intentionally - 32 days. Obligatorily and sparingly - 25 years.

Do you beta read?
I never have, but I'd certainly love to!

Do you have any particular hobbies?
Outside of reading and writing, I routinely burden the neighbors of my townhome with the clashing of weights in my basement gym. I also have a dog, Honey, a very handsome and small maltipoo whom with no bias I can say is one very good boy (okay... I'm probably a little biased).

Are you an expert in any particular field or craft?
If I am, nobody has made me aware... nor paid me anything for it. But for the sake of myself and, most importantly, others - I certainly hope not.

Good time to ask questions about AW or writing
I don't have any specific questions about the forum at the moment; the community seems to do a wonderful job providing helpful resources to make navigation seamless.

I suppose it's more appropriate to describe my being here in the context of a hope rather than a question (although I do have one question below): It's my hope that by coming to AW I can begin to ingratiate myself within the writing community, to learn helpful tips and tricks surrounding the craft and the industry in general, and to pull from those more knowledgeable than I what an aspiring writer could and should be doing to improve themself and the literary community as a whole.

Writing Question:
When does one seek out critique partners? I see a bevy of different opinions on the subject (chapter by chapter, finish the manuscript, etc.) and I want to make sure that I pursue the method most effectively as it seems to come part-and-parcel with making one's manuscript as finished a product as possible.

Likewise, how does one find critique partners?

Thank you everyone!

Reactions: Set2Stun and Izz

Unimportant

but appreciated anyway...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, krakman! OMG your pooch is soooooo cute. ::swoons away and dies of cute overload::

Ask two authors when to seek crit partners, and you'll get three different opinions ;)

I would say: If you want feedback on "where am I in my craft? Am I producing readable sentences and paragraphs?" then the earlier, the better. AW has sections where you can post a single sentence, or the first three sentences of your story. Once you're up to 50 posts, you can put up whole scenes or a chapter and ask for feedback in Share Your Work.

If you want feedback on an entire novel, it's probably better to wait till you're done writing.

Asking people to critique is a big ask, and generally you only get one shot at them, so you want to make sure your work is as good as you can make it. There's no sense in having people waste their time (and yours) pointing out spelling mistakes or clumsy scenes that you already know need to be fixed. Better to get them to point out things, good and bad, that you can't spot on your own. Once you're up to 50 posts, you can request beta readers/offer to do beta reader swaps. I suspect, though, that you'll get to 50 posts before your book is completed! :)

Nether

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

What genres do you write?
I suppose only one, with that being contemporary fiction. I am extremely new to writing, currently being in the throes of my first attempt at it, with that being a ~60,000 word manuscript that I started exactly 32 days ago. It's been a wonderful adventure this last month - one equally balanced with torment and excitement - and one that ultimately lead me here.

60k words in 32 days is healthy progress, especially for a first novel.

Writing Question:
When does one seek out critique partners? I see a bevy of different opinions on the subject (chapter by chapter, finish the manuscript, etc.) and I want to make sure that I pursue the method most effectively as it seems to come part-and-parcel with making one's manuscript as finished a product as possible.

Depends on your personal preferences and process. I like waiting at least until I'm done with my first pass (minor revisions, polishing, proofing, etc) after finishing my first draft. Unfortunately, because I draft a *little* too quickly, it tends to muck things up because it takes me longer to go through critiques than it does to draft (and I tend to drag my feet on revising, etc).

Trial and error. AW has a share your work (SYW) forum (where you can create topics after 50 posts), which is a starting point. Then there are google groups, facebook groups, and... well, google search alone should pull up a ton of options, although the quality will vary.

You can also try to find writing groups in your area, although the pandemic has reduced a lot of that.

If my answer is underwhelming, it's because I'm still muddling through it myself. It's one of those things that's going to take a while since a great partner for one person might be a terrible fit for another.

Reactions: krakman

krakman

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.

60k words in 32 days is healthy progress, especially for a first novel.

Depends on your personal preferences and process. I like waiting at least until I'm done with my first pass (minor revisions, polishing, proofing, etc) after finishing my first draft. Unfortunately, because I draft a *little* too quickly, it tends to muck things up because it takes me longer to go through critiques than it does to draft (and I tend to drag my feet on revising, etc).

Trial and error. AW has a share your work (SYW) forum (where you can create topics after 50 posts), which is a starting point. Then there are google groups, facebook groups, and... well, google search alone should pull up a ton of options, although the quality will vary.

You can also try to find writing groups in your area, although the pandemic has reduced a lot of that.

If my answer is underwhelming, it's because I'm still muddling through it myself. It's one of those things that's going to take a while since a great partner for one person might be a terrible fit for another.
Thank you Nether!

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi - welcome to AW. The LitFic crew are going to be particularly thrilled to meet you :)

60,000 words in 32 days sounds terrifying!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb

krakman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - welcome to AW. The LitFic crew are going to be particularly thrilled to meet you :)

60,000 words in 32 days sounds terrifying!
Thank you mccardey, I am looking forward to it.

And it has been, but luckily balanced with excitement.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score

I'd recommend going to meetup.com and finding a writers group/critique group there. There are many online, and most are free. Sit in on a few sessions; read the excerpts offered for critique.

This is not necessarily the best source for the best critique groups, but it is a very solid way to learn things like what the common 'rookie errors' are, and it's also a good way to get over any apprehension about sharing your own work--everyone is sort of in the same boat, and after a few sessions you realize that everyone's got a different slant and that everyone is pointing in generally the same direction.

(You can also find critique partners on Facebook. Search for critique and writing groups. Posts regularly appear where a writer is in search of critique partners.)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, krakman ! It's great to meet you :D

You're going to love it here, I'm sure. AW has everything you need to propel you along on your writing journey. There's more information packed within these forum walls regarding all things writing and publishing than you can shake a very large stick at, and an awesome community of writerly folk, from newbies to established pros, to hang out with. The forums are vast and it can be easy to get lost/overwhelmed at first but if you take your time exploring you'll acclimate soon enough.

Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. These will help you get the lay of the land, both in terms of rules and also the culture and etiquette of the different spaces within the forums.

When to seek out critique partners is a pretty subjective question, dependent in many ways on you and your processes. If you haven't already, why not check out our Share Your Work area? While it's generally only openings that are posted for critique, many have found that they can apply the advice given to their entire manuscript. Too, you'll likely find that offering critique improves your own writing far more than getting critique ever will. The objectivity of distance, and all that. We have a 50-post requirement before you can start a thread in SYW but there's no block on rolling your sleeves up and diving in with critique and insight of your own. Before posting in SYW, please peruse the stickies in the Intro to Share Your Work room. We also have an area dedicated to beta reading and aspects related to that. Again, there is a 50-post requirement before you can start a thread asking for a beta reader but there's no requirement on offering to be one for others.

Explore, lurk if you like, join in conversations you find fun or interesting if you like, make friends, enjoy yourself!

See you around the boards :D
Izz

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving