• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Google Books Partner Program

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Dave Sloane

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone out there have anything to say about the Google Books Partner
Program?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
In what context?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Without context, here are some general comments:

Formerly called "Google Print", this "Partner Program" has generated much controversy over its posting of copyrighted material without permission. This has been discussed at length elsewhere.

One serendipitous feature is that a search on an agent's name will often result in a few books that the agent or agency had a hand in.

TheScorpion

I entered the necessary info' to list my book on Google book search seven months ago and despite emails from them confirming they have the info' and thanking me for my patience, the book has still not gone 'live'. :Shrug:

Anyone else experiencing this? Is this delay normal?!

George

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... have you tried contacting Customer Services? I'm doubtful they can help, but it may be worth a try? Or is there other contact information you can use?

TheScorpion

Hi Snitchcat,
I've previously had replies to my queries from Google support advising that they'd checked it out and that they had the info' required, (I'd actually ended up sending them a PDF file on CD) but nothing happened - contacted them again and they advised that their tech's were having some delays but it should be sorted within three weeks - that was over a month ago and still nothing.
Must be over seven months now!
I'll wait a few more days and then give them a :poke: again!
Cheers, George

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
google book search

Has anyone tried this "google book search" thing to market their stuff? Any stories about its strengths/weaknesses & successes/failures?

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Google book search

Was just wondering if anyone here signed up for the "Promote Books in Google" program. It says it is free. I'm always leery of stuff like that. Anyone have any experience with the program?

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Tell us more about the program.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
I have uttermost confidence in Google. I think they strive for community beneficial services. I think they are pro literature for the sake of literature, even if it gets them in hot water now and then. I don't think they would devise a scam.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
HapiSofi said:
Tell us more about the program.

From the advertisement on the Absolute Writers site:

Promote your books on Google for free
You'd sell a lot more books if a lot more people knew about them. We can help make that happen. Help users discover your books
icon4.gif
By matching the content in your books with user searches, Google Book Search connects your books with the users who are most interested in buying them.
Keep your content protected
icon5.gif
Users are able to preview a limited number of pages to determine whether they've found what they're looking for.
Drive book sales
icon6.gif
Links to bookstores, online retailers, and your website make it easy for users to go from browsing to buying -- with new ways to buy and access your books coming soon.

What I got from clicking on the advertisement was that you post a Google Ad on your website and they will make news about your book available. Has anyone participated?

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I have used Google Books on the other end -- i.e. while searching for info -- and I have to admit that I've been tempted to buy a book or two whose contents matched my search ...

The only reason I haven't purchased, mind you, is because I have been able to find the info I needed elsewhere ... or because it was an idle search to satisfy a whim, not something serious.

More often the latter than the former, actually.

snook

Registered
Reaction score
More Google books - promotion...

This is not a plug for my book. Google is promoting my book at BUY.com (I had no idea they were doing this) by taking off $10 of the book price if you buy through Google checkout. Pretty cool. You guys may want to put your books on Google books, see here: http://www.buy.com/prod/a-man-and-his-maniac-the-bunkie-story/q/loc/106/204177668.html . Look for the Google checkout box on the page and the blurb about taking $10 off.

lisanevin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisanevin.com
This is not a plug for my book. Google is promoting my book at BUY.com (I had no idea they were doing this) by taking off $10 of the book price if you buy through Google checkout.

Congrats to you.
A caution to everyone! You can only use google books if you have all the rights! That is, if you have a publisher you need the publisher to list your book in google books, you,as the author are not allowed. I'm sadly very familiar with this.

snook

Registered
Reaction score
That would be me that did the cover and that's Bunkie. It was one of two pictures that I had left of Bunkie; the ex threw out all the other pics. These were hiding in my old sea bag. Thanks for the good words about my buddy.

snook

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that she specifically targeted the Bunkie stuff, it was probably just caught up in the heat/cold of the moment. All the pics were slides. The whole experience was horrid, I wouldn't wish divorce on anyone. It all worked out for the best in the long run but it was tough. Anyway, the run of the Bunkie book is over, I killed the distribution this last week in preparation of the big book coming out next year.

amber_grosjean

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amberrigbygrosjean.blogspot.com
I looked at it and saw my book on there as well. The discount are for those first-time buyers for the whole basket at checkout. If the person just buys the one item, its 10$ off. If they buy more than one item, its still just 10$ off. Its a way to get you to buy something from them and not someone else. Its a good deal for the buyer but it would mean less royalty for the author. They limit the discount to one per customer. Its a good deal if you want to go in there and buy something for yourself.

Amber

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com

Hanukkah sameach!

Gold menorah and on a gradiated purple background