Good Screen Size for Large Type?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy either an ereader or tablet to replace my current 6" ereader. I'm very nearsighted and have to make the default type larger. Unfortunately, 15 lines per screen (more or less) doesn't work well for long, detailed descriptions that tend to be in the books I read. I'm hoping a larger screen might help, but I'm not sure what size would help. I figure that more than 10" and I might as well read ebooks on a laptop, but aside from that upper limit...:Shrug:

Any advice? Thanks!

mikepellegrini

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikepellegrini.com
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with an 8" screen (2019). With the right case (so you can easily hold it in one hand) it works well for me. It runs the Kindle app. For books that won't run in Kindle, I use Lithium, which is decent. I had a Kindle Fire before that, but got tired of the incessant ads that Amazon pushes out every time you turn the thing on.

May I suggest you go to your local Best Buy (or whatever's in your area) and just try a few different sizes on to see how they feel, in person.

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kobo's got a lot of nice large ereaders. I really love my 8" Kobo Sage, and they have a 10.3" reader. I also have a 7" Kindle Oasis. The Amazon store is much better, but Kobo isn't terrible. (Kobo also has "overdrive", which means public library access.)

Kobo let's you play around with the screen more, removing headers and footers, and you have a little more control over the fonts.

I always check both stores first and buy books on Kobo if it's available and the price isn't much more, because I love the 8" screen. That said, I prefer the 8" because it avoids most of the formatting issues of smaller screens, and not because I make the type larger.

ChandraStorm

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chandrastorm.com
I use a Tolino Vision6, which is a 7" reader that is basically the same hardware as the Kobo Libra2. And I freaking love it. The background lighting is superb.

For your needs of having large font size, you might want to look at the Kobo Sage (which in the Tolino version is called Tolino Epos 3) with it's 8" display. There are even larger readers available, of course, but they start to get too big to easily hold them in one hand, which makes reading more cumbersome.