'Go To' Books you return to time and time again

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Cobalt Jade

Registered
Reaction score
Anything by Tanith Lee.

The Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia.

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Most recently, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, by Christopher Moore. Hands down one of the funniest books ever written. I've read it several times and literally cry laugh every time. And cry at the end even though I know what's coming.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
The Goblin Emperor
Daughter of Mystery
Diana Wynne Jones
T. Kingfisher--especially her Anekut City books.

Ariel.Williams

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve never been big into re-reading books I already read. That said, there is this book I always want to read again, but have it somehow be for the first time? I don’t know if that makes sense. It’s called “The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake” by Aimee Bender. And often when I search for a new book to read I’m really just looking for that story, but not... It leads to inevitable disappointment. I don’t know if anyone else has ever gotten stuck on a book like that?

I am planning on re-reading it, though, because I had this novel idea that was similar in genre to “The Particular Sadness,” so maybe that will satiate my need?

mschenk2016

Registered
Reaction score
Everything by Tolkien and H.P. Lovecraft. A few other books I've read more than once: The Stand, The Chronicles of Narnia, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Jurassic Park, the works of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne, Edgar Allan Poe

Too_Many_Semicolons

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I often go back to the Newsflesh series by Mira Grant, which might be my favorite series ever. Also I have recently been re-reading On the Come-Up by Angie Thomas like a fiend. I loved The Hate U Give (also by Angie Thomas, of course), but that book is such a grind because it's so damn sad. On the Come-Up is more re-readable to me, maybe because the main character's financial struggles are so relatable.

Gardener24

Registered
Reaction score
The Wind on Fire Trilogy by William Nicholson. It's sort of creepy but has an interesting and unique tone/world that I keep on wanting to come back to! I also reread Harry Potter, and The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver fairly regularly.

Other than these fantasy novels, I love, love, love anything by Jane Austen. My copy of Pride and Prejudice has traveled with me to so many places that it's spine is inches away from falling apart! I even wrote my dissertation on her work.

Featured Book