• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Global Talent Representatives (formerly National Writers L.A.) (Andrew Whelchel)

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Very diplomatically said, V.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Based on the reports I've gotten and the info here and elsewhere, I don't think they're a scam. I don't think they're a very effective or successful enterprise, though, at least in regard to representing book-length works to commercial publishers.

- Victoria

*stands corrected* That's what I get for trying to make a funny.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
A lesson in jumping to conclusions. Not everyone is out to scam writers. Thank you V for your efforts, energy, and knowledge. I am humbled by how you and so many others give back to all of us.

In a world that seems to comprise mainly of the take, take, takers... I am often surprised by how many people are actually give, give, givers.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
A lesson in jumping to conclusions. Not everyone is out to scam writers.
Ineffective agents can be worse than outright scams. For example, every venue an ineffective agent shotguns your book to is one that a better agent cannot pursue legitimately. With scammers, there's a good chance your book is never submitted at all, so you could start fresh once you escape.

Add in the fees, and the NWLA thread proves the line between ineffective and scam is very thin indeed.

EasyRider

Victoria Fine?

Could it be that Victoria Fine is related to Whelchel? His mother is in business with him ...hmmm...

fieryphoenixe

Don't do it.

Yes, this is what I suggest, after being with him for a year. One, the title of my book was not even in the contract. Two, do not sign even if he says don't worry about the money.

I had him for a year and never got a call back after I signed, now I'm trying to publish the book elsewhere.

Look for someone else.

Hello, I am here because like another post person, I received a contract from Andrew Whelchel. I have not signed it though. My hitch is the up front money in the hundreds of dollars range.

My 2005 Guide to Literary Agents lists him and his agency has 52 clients and made 22 sales last year. I found it odd that one of his bigger listed clients on one site, CJ Box, is now currently with Ann Rittenberg.

I also thought it strange that two days after I got his request to read the manuscript, I got one from Andrea Brown. I got his contract for representation the same day I got her rejection after reading the manuscript. Is this just a very strange coincidence?

I plan on calling him later this week and asking him some hard questions. Also, asking him some opinions on the book to make sure he actually read it. Fish for some details you could only know by reading the whole thing.

fieryphoenixe

Stop thinking about the 375 or 475 he charges or charged, I WASTED A YEAR AND HALF WAITING ON THIS MAN, going on two years now. I want my year and half back. Here I am thinking he's doing something, and he's...actually, who knows what he's doing. But he's not returning my calls, I know that, and it takes him months to return my e-mails if he does at all.

Even though the title of my book doesn't show up in the contract, I still want to cancel. SO HOW DO I CANCEL A CONTRACT WITH THIS MAN IF HE DOESN'T RESPOND TO PHONE CALLS OR E-MAIL? Certified mail???

And yes, I feel bad for those of you who paid money, he told me he wasn't worried about it. So I never sent anything. I'm just saying, in that year in a half, I could have self-published my book and got it out there.

Man, talk about getting burned. If anything, because I was burned (going on two years now) any future agent/publisher, whoever, I won't simply jump in just because it looks good. So some good did come out out of this. But still!!!

I JUST FOUND THIS SITE TODAY ARGH!!!!

Thank you everyone for confirming my suspicions.

The man seems so nice on the phone, beware.

All the best,
Rick

smenders2

Registered
Reaction score
It's nearly 3 1/2 years later and I could not find a title by Victoria Fine on Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble online, nor Google Book Search. Wonder what happened to it? Could Ms Fine be a sockpuppet after all?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website hasn't been updated since '06, but there are recent sales on PM to Kensington and the like.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not finding any activity after '14, and -- depending how many men of his name lived in Colorado -- he might in fact have passed away in '15. Anyone have recent contact?