• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Global Talent Representatives (formerly National Writers L.A.) (Andrew Whelchel)

spywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Andrew Whelchel

I had to write....

You know that famous author, CJ BOX, that Andrew Whelchel always gets credit for? Well let me tell you a little story....

CJ Box met Whelchel at a writers conference and over a drink in a bar, Box told Whelchel all about his book. Not too far away sat a publisher, who was also attending the conference. She overheard the conversation and said that she would like to read the book. Whelchel signed him immediately and the rest is history. So, it is true that Andy WAS his agent when he got his book deal, but Andy didn't do a damn thing to earn his money AND if Andy was so good, then why did Box change agents? Kinda makes you go HMMM..... (I think Box is with Rittenburg now), but he sure ain't with Andy.

To all my writing friends....STAY AWAY FROM WHELCHEL. There are TWO really good reasons.

1. A writer friend of mine sent her book to Andy and got a contract within 3 weeks of her query. WHen I took a look at her MS, I almost died. While the plot idea was great, she was disorganized, she didn't know her characters, she had typos left and right (even on the 1st page) and so on. I couldn't believe that ANY agent would have signed her with that slop.

2. Due to that horrible MS, I sent the stupidest query to Andy that you could ever imagine. Guess what....yup! He asked to read it. Need I say more?

I am so sorry to all of you out there who refuse to beieve that Andy is one of the bad guys...but he is. End your contract, cut your losses and RUN like hell.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Thanks for the anecdotes, Spywriter. What happened with your friend? I hope she escaped unscathed.

workingriter

I so enjoy listening to wannabe writers cry about how unfair life is. "Andy didn't respond. Andy didn't sell my book. Andy thinks I can write, how foolish of him."

Andy sold my book in 3 months. He's professional, courteous and most importantly, willing to take a chance on an unpublished writer.

I paid him $475 and never looked back. Manage your career people. The dream of sitting in an ivory tower and thinking deep thoughts while occasionally cashing a royalty check is unrealistic. If you want answers, demand them. Call him every day. Fill up his e-mail. Take control. Publishing is a business. Andy is a business man. You need to treat it like a business. If you have faith in your abilities (not just a word processor and pipe dreams of being the next Hemingway) then find an agent with some credentials and work with him instead of just whining about him. Andy's not the biggest agency in the world and he's not the best known rep in the business but he's willing to take a chance on (talented) first timers who aren't the best bet for success either.

It's not up to you to pick an agent, especially your first agent, it's up to him to pick you. Think for just one second about how many manuscripts an agent has to slog through. Is it so unreasonable to ask to be compensated for reading a thousand turds to find one semi-precious stone? You want him to drop everything to help polish and sell your manuscript yet you're not willing to put some skin in the game. Keep dreaming. There are lots of agencies out there that don't charge any fees, they also turn up their noses at 99.9% of the first timers who contact them.

You're actually blaming Andy for being optimistic and asking to see what turn out to be dreadful novels. God forbid he gives you a shot. If you send him your manuscript and never hear back from him, get a clue. It stinks, but at least he gave it a chance. There are lots of agents out there who dismiss eventual best sellers based on a query letter. You tell me, which is the better system?

Call it a copying fee or a mailing fee or whatever. Andy has done right by me. I can't stop you from trashing him but I can at least point out that it sounds like very sour grapes and finger pointing over the author's lack of either talent or commitment.

You're not going to sign with the biggest agent in New York without any writing credits. CJ Box changed agents after Andy got him published. What's wrong with that? He started with a small agency, established some credentials and moved up. Makes sense to me. The only thing that illustrates is a lack of appreciation for what Andy did for him.

Spywriter's rumor that a publisher in a bar asked to see Box's manuscript and all Andy did was hand it over seems pretty unlikely. If the publisher asked Box to see the manuscript, why did he sign with Andy at all? Makes a cute story but not very realistic.

By the way, Spywriter, who's your agent?

Maybe I should just let it go, the more time you spend here, the less time you spend competing with me in the marketplace. I just hate to see a nice guy like Andy get bashed.

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
workingriter said:
I so enjoy listening to wannabe writers cry about how unfair life is. "Andy didn't respond. Andy didn't sell my book. Andy thinks I can write, how foolish of him."

Andy sold my book in 3 months. He's professional, courteous and most importantly, willing to take a chance on an unpublished writer.

I paid him $475 and never looked back. Manage your career people. The dream of sitting in an ivory tower and thinking deep thoughts while occasionally cashing a royalty check is unrealistic. If you want answers, demand them. Call him every day. Fill up his e-mail. Take control. Publishing is a business. Andy is a business man. You need to treat it like a business. If you have faith in your abilities (not just a word processor and pipe dreams of being the next Hemingway) then find an agent with some credentials and work with him instead of just whining about him. Andy's not the biggest agency in the world and he's not the best known rep in the business but he's willing to take a chance on (talented) first timers who aren't the best bet for success either.

It's not up to you to pick an agent, especially your first agent, it's up to him to pick you. Think for just one second about how many manuscripts an agent has to slog through. Is it so unreasonable to ask to be compensated for reading a thousand turds to find one semi-precious stone? You want him to drop everything to help polish and sell your manuscript yet you're not willing to put some skin in the game. Keep dreaming. There are lots of agencies out there that don't charge any fees, they also turn up their noses at 99.9% of the first timers who contact them.

You're actually blaming Andy for being optimistic and asking to see what turn out to be dreadful novels. God forbid he gives you a shot. If you send him your manuscript and never hear back from him, get a clue. It stinks, but at least he gave it a chance. There are lots of agents out there who dismiss eventual best sellers based on a query letter. You tell me, which is the better system?

Call it a copying fee or a mailing fee or whatever. Andy has done right by me. I can't stop you from trashing him but I can at least point out that it sounds like very sour grapes and finger pointing over the author's lack of either talent or commitment.

You're not going to sign with the biggest agent in New York without any writing credits. CJ Box changed agents after Andy got him published. What's wrong with that? He started with a small agency, established some credentials and moved up. Makes sense to me. The only thing that illustrates is a lack of appreciation for what Andy did for him.

Spywriter's rumor that a publisher in a bar asked to see Box's manuscript and all Andy did was hand it over seems pretty unlikely. If the publisher asked Box to see the manuscript, why did he sign with Andy at all? Makes a cute story but not very realistic.

By the way, Spywriter, who's your agent?

Maybe I should just let it go, the more time you spend here, the less time you spend competing with me in the marketplace. I just hate to see a nice guy like Andy get bashed.
Workingriter,

With all due respect, when a new member's first post is to rush to the defense of an agent or publisher being discussed here, our first thought is that the new member (you) is a sockpuppet, that is, a person masquerading under a false identity for the purpose of misleading others.

Such posts have a tendency to sound very much alike, even when written by different people. Above, I have highlighted in red, phrases that are typical of such posts. The word "wannabe" is often used in an attempt to make people feel unimportant. Another is asking who THEIR agent is.

In addition, there are usually statements of how tough the publishing world is, how first-time writers CANNOT obtain representation by a big agency, and how the agent in question is willing to take as chance on new writers (as if big agencies do not). Of course, none of this is true.

My first thought is that you are Whelchel himself or a close associate. If you are not, I deeply apologize. However, given this climate, you'll need to do a little more than make unproven claims of how he sold your book. You can do this easily by answering two questions:

What is the name of the book? Who is the publisher?

Please don't say you are afraid to give this information because of fear of repercussions. I can't think of a legimate author, agent, or publisher who wouldn't leap at the chance to publicize the book in a forum such as this. The only reason for not giving this perfectly innocuous information is because no such publishing deal exists.

Last edited:

workingriter

Kensington Books. Working Title: In Plain Sight. Scheduled for release in the fall of '07.

Let me clear up a couple of other things as well.

1. This entire thread is purely subjective. I understand your skepticism. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change mine.

2. Don't be so defensive. It's nothing personal. I stood up for a friend of mine who was being unfairly blasted.

3. I am indeed a close associate of Andy's. He's my agent, and I think, a good one.

Also, you can check:

MEDILL SOPHOMORE TORY FINE LANDS
PUBLISHING DEAL FOR HER NOVEL

in the Newsletter of the Center For The Writing Arts (http://www.northwestern.edu/writing-arts/newsletters/CWA Newsletter WQ05.pdf) for an example of Andy working with a first time author. Probably just another sockpuppet. You know how easily Northwestern University can be duped.

By the way, lest you think I'm a "sockpuppet," Michaela Hamilton is my editor at KB since Jeremie Ruby-Strauss has moved to another house.

Last edited:

workingriter

James D. Macdonald

"Royal Fireworks Press. 'Nuff said."

What does this mean?

Last edited:

dink

Registered
Reaction score
spywriter said:
You know that famous author, CJ BOX, that Andrew Whelchel always gets credit for? Well let me tell you a little story....
workingriter said:
Kensington Books. Working Title: In Plain Sight. Scheduled for release in the fall of '07.

By an amazing coincidence, the above-mentioned C.J.Box wrote a book called In Plain Sight, published by Putnam in 2006. Who could believe that one agent could sell two identically-titled books to two different publishers at almost the same time? There's something not right here.

workingriter

Roger J Carlson said:
Workingriter,

In addition, there are usually statements of how tough the publishing world is, how first-time writers CANNOT obtain representation by a big agency, and how the agent in question is willing to take as chance on new writers (as if big agencies do not). Of course, none of this is true.

Of course first-time writers land big agencies. And people are occasionally struck by lightning. I didn't say first-time writers can't get a big-name agent. I said it is extremely rare. Please don't misrepresent what I said.

Saying, "none of this is true," is just as inaccurate as saying, "all of this is true."

workingriter

dink said:
By an amazing coincidence, the above-mentioned C.J.Box wrote a book called In Plain Sight, published by Putnam in 2006. Who could believe that one agent could sell two identically-titled books to two different publishers at almost the same time? There's something not right here.

If you check Amazon.com, there are several books titled In Plain Sight. That's why it's called a working title. There's actually very little chance my book will be published with that name.

You're also suggesting Andy is still representing CJ Box. Is that true?

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
workingriter said:
James D. Macdonald

What does this mean?
Royal Fireworks is a non-advance-paying publisher (which means that there's no incentive for a reputable agent to work with it) with a non-standard, author-unfriendly contract that, among other things, takes ownership of copyright (another reason why a reputable agent has no incentive to work with it). I know a Royal Fireworks author whose books are still being sold by the company; he hasn't gotten a dime in royalties in years.

C.J. Box is currently represented by Ann Rittenberg, and has been for at least the past couple of years.

Congrats on the sale to Kensington, workingriter. I wish you all success.

Guys, feel free to discuss the subject of this thread, but the cheap shots at workingriter's sale to Kensington are out of line.

- VIctoria

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
workingriter said:
James D. Macdonald

What does this mean?

It means, "Until the rise of the author mills Royal Fireworks Press was perhaps the worst publisher in America, and everyone in the business knows it."

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
workingriter said:
Of course first-time writers land big agencies. And people are occasionally struck by lightning. I didn't say first-time writers can't get a big-name agent. I said it is extremely rare. Please don't misrepresent what I said.
No, you did not say "it is extremely rare", you said, "You're not going to sign with the biggest agent in New York without any writing credits". That IS saying that first-time writers can't get a big-name agent.

Please don't try to misrepresent something YOU said.

And it is not even "extremely rare". Take a glance at PublishersMarketplace.com. Every month you'll see several first-time authors that have big-name agents who have sold their books to real publishers.

Last edited:

workingriter

Roger,

Forgive me. You're entirely right and I am entirely wrong. Everyone who's ever written anything more extensive than a shopping list is now rolling in cash and virtually beating desperate agents away from their door.

I don't know why the intellectual elite of the nation such as yourself are forced to put up with the likes of me.

i should never have disagreed with you. thank you for correcting me. i'm a better person for it. I shall now slink away and never darken your enlightened door again.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
workingwriter, you showed up with an attitude the likes of which we usually see in sockpuppets, and your behavior since hasn't changed my opinion one bit.

If being here is such a trial to you, do by all means feel free to remove yourself from the source of your pain.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
workingriter said:
Roger,

Forgive me. You're entirely right and I am entirely wrong. Everyone who's ever written anything more extensive than a shopping list is now rolling in cash and virtually beating desperate agents away from their door.

I don't know why the intellectual elite of the nation such as yourself are forced to put up with the likes of me.

i should never have disagreed with you. thank you for correcting me. i'm a better person for it. I shall now slink away and never darken your enlightened door again.

Drama queens. Ya gotta love 'em.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
In the immortal words of Ferris Bueller:

"It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
workingriter said:
Roger,

Now who's misrepresenting whom?

My point is not that every new writer can obtain a big name agent, but that it IS possible to do so if your writing is good enough. The proof is that many first-time authors have done so and continue to do so.

One of the hallmarks of literary scams is how they will play up the impossibility of new writers being published unless they pay someone (the scammer) to fix it up for them. They'll throw around figures like 99% of all first books are rejected, without figuring in the quality of the work submitted.

The fact is if your work is publishable, you CAN get representation without paying the agent a fee. If it's not publishable, why pay an agent to represent it? It won't get published anyway.