Give Yourself Permission to Cry

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Professorjpj

Banned
Reaction score
I cry writing every single page of my life story! Trust me, Ive got the crying part down pat! haha

Benny Molto

Banned
Reaction score
That's a cool and thoughtful write-up. I haven't cried for myself in decades--perhaps I should. I practice serious gratitude and the older I get, the more I cry about external events. I teared up today reading about the death of the first Black golfer to play in the (clubhouse full of racist bastards) Masters Tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maryn

SwanofWar

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's 100% true, but I've also heard that crying allows the body to expell over abundant...hormones I think? Something like that. Anyhow, it allows your body to rid of those things that built up from stress and bursting emotions. So yeah, it's an important bodily function.

Reactions: telford

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
I think the problem is that there's just so little to cry about nowadays. Maybe I'm better at internalizing concerns and woes, but aside from COVID, the mess of a world these last two years, no Anime Festival Asia to splurge on, I don't cry, there's nothing to cry about because my personal life is fine. Is that wrong?

Edit: though I do recall almost crying at a comic of a cat in the midst of COVID. The cat recalled the nice people who adopted it, and recalled such good times before going to sleep in a dirty alleyway. There was a continuation of it, where it was found via the Lost Pet kinds of posters, returned to its owners and had good days again. I almost cried. Almost.

Brigid Barry

You'd never know that I'm losing my mind
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigidbarryauthor.weebly.com
Psychology Today has numerous articles about the benefits of crying. So does Harvard Health.

The idea that crying = weakness is (IMHO) pretty toxic.

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
The idea that crying = weakness is (IMHO) pretty toxic.

This I agree with, and am trying to outgrow. But then again, maybe it's adulthood where we either have a better control over our emotions or learn to hide the pain better, which makes us less likely to cry. Or maybe I've never had anything that sad happen to me yet.

Maryn

Baaaa!
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This I agree with, and am trying to outgrow. But then again, maybe it's adulthood where we either have a better control over our emotions or learn to hide the pain better, which makes us less likely to cry. Or maybe I've never had anything that sad happen to me yet.
You will.

We all will, no matter how well we've lived our lives, how much money or privilege we have, how lucky we are, etc. Most of us don't reach forty without something utterly devastating happening. And when it does, you'll be a lot better off if you're able to cry about it.

There are, of course, times when it's appropriate to hide one's pain, but hiding it from yourself just makes it grow, sometimes in debilitating ways.

Maryn, old enough to have a little wisdom

Reactions: eqb and owlion

bruise

Registered
Reaction score
A lovely blog post, thank you.

I cry about my own stuff from time to time. Then I well up at the strangest of things in tv programs and the like. I really should start noticing when it happens. I'll report back!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Good post! I cry all the time. I cry during a 30 second commercial it happens so often. Or when I hear a song. I let it out and it feels good. I just remind myself it's just because those little things, not everything. I try not to overwhelm myself with it. Have a good cry, and let it be over. Most of the time I don't sulk about it.

But I agree that it's a healthy way of purging. As long as you don't overdo it, which leads to headaches (at least for me.)

NickyRainbow

Registered
Reaction score
Brilliant read. I'm a big crier, and couldn't agree more about the cleansing power of tears. Often, if something is overwhelming me, I can't think clearly until I've cried. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, honestly...but I can definitely attest that there's nothing like it for un-fogging your head!

Nether

is wondering whether a childhood friend was real
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an occasional crier, when a movie or book hits me the right away -- including stuff from my own manuscripts.

However, I thought of this topic because I was going through a SD card and came across photos of my dog. I was going through them thinking, "Awww"... until it got near the end and I realized these were taken the day she was put to sleep. Then I was really bawling because it wasn't just remembering she died but seeing how, in the photos anyway, she looks adorable -- maybe cuter than the average day -- then remembering how bad she was at the end. Of course, she was lying -- she could barely walk without falling down. And yeah, she was thinner and puffier than usual -- because she hadn't eaten in days, she wouldn't touch anything.

Christ, probably cried more today than the day it happened. Because back then it was a long, slow death -- saw it coming a mile away. The photos where she looks fine then realizing when they were, that's a fucking gut punch. Tears were flowing so hard I couldn't even see the damn screen.