• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ghostwriter Publications

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not certain I am allowed to do this, so Mods, please, if I violate some rule or law please pull this post.

This is a transcript of a recent conversation I just had with Neil Jackson, owner and operator of Ghostwriter Publications, a small press in the UK. Please note that Neil has been selling my work in one form or another since June 2009 and to date has failed to pay any royalties. I usually ask him about once a month and he either changes the subject or becaomes abrasive and rude, as seen below.

The conversation starts off with me asking about breaks for a project called GRUBS, which I wrote specifically for Ghostwriter in August 2009 at Neil's request. He has been promising to provide the break points to turn GRUBS into a serialized chapbook since November of last year:

David

howdy Neil
3:13pmNeil

'ello
3:13pmDavid

did you ever get to those breaks for GRUBS?
3:14pmNeil

Yes...but I'm working at the moment on work for others. Later, dude.
3:15pmDavid

What about royalties? Do I have any?
3:17pmNeil

David...sorry bud...but I'm working. I can't just break off to deal with your stuff...you're being a bit selfish.
3:20pmDavid

Um...selfish? Neil, I have waited patiently for several months (MONTHS!) to get my first royalty payment from you and have not hounded you about it at all. How is that selfish?
3:21pmNeil

BECAUSE I AM WORKING!!! Now go and bother someone else. I'm done. Expect a cheque soon.
3:22pmDavid

I've heard that one before. Very well, Neil. I won't take up any more of your time.
3:24pmNeil

Because YOU are bored doing your job...and can drop things at a stroke...not all of us can. I am fucking seething here...if you were here you'd be wearing a crowbar. I was just in the middle of something and now lost my thread. You selfish prick.
3:26pmDavid

By all means, get back to your work, Neil. I'm just glad I had the presence of mind to record this entire conversation.

Needless to say, I have terminated my relationship with Neil and GWP. Probably should have done it sooner (he has been like this for months!), but I was hoping things would improve. Sadly, they did not. Submit to GWP at your own risk.

Thanks for letting me vent.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
WOW! That is nuts. I wonder if others are having issues like this?

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Several other writers have stated they left GWP for reasons like this, but that is for them to elaborate on. Still others have stayed. He is not like this with all his writers. Our own Willie Meikle seems to do quite well with GWP. I am only commenting on my personal experiences, here.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Several other writers have stated they left GWP for reasons like this, but that is for them to elaborate on. Still others have stayed. He is not like this with all his writers. Our own Willie Meikle seems to do quite well with GWP. I am only commenting on my personal experiences, here.

There is no reason for that idiot and I will use that term to be acting like that. He needs to take lessons in how to act professional.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
There is no reason for that idiot and I will use that term to be acting like that. He needs to take lessons in how to act professional.

Yeah, that was my thought, as well. Thanks for agreeing, though. I was actually worried for a little while that maybe I was in the wrong.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Yeah, that was my thought, as well. Thanks for agreeing, though. I was actually worried for a little while that maybe I was in the wrong.

You in the wrong? Absolutely not.

True professionals, no matter how busy they are, never let a client think they are anything but their number one concern. Period. His demeanor and language are inexcuseable.

The man deserves a year of hard labor under Miranda at PA for this kind of behavior.

~brianm~

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
True professionals, no matter how busy they are, never let a client think they are anything but their number one concern. Period. His demeanor and language are inexcuseable.

This.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Bloody hell! I submitted my book to them at the same time as I did to Lyrical. I'm glad Lyrical said yes instead! :eek:

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support, everyone. I feel better. I'm not normally whiny. Every once in a while, maybe, but this REALLY frazzled me. Thanks again for letting me vent. I notice P&E has changed the entry for Ghostwriter Publications to Not Recommended. Thanks, Dave!

crimsonspirit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shaunjeffrey.com
I was the first to withdraw my work from GWP over a year ago, and spent ages warning people about the company (man), but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. There are a number of authors that have now withdrawn their work. The truth will out.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't stop there, either. He emailed me threatening to contact my employer and get me fired because I emailed him from work. Learned my lesson. No more emails from work.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeesh, what a lovely man. :rolleyes:

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
OCH :S I will def not send my book to him. Thanks for the heads up.

Didn't stop there, either. He emailed me threatening to contact my employer and get me fired because I emailed him from work. Learned my lesson. No more emails from work.

WOW, I can't believe he would do something so low!

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir

This person has threatened physical violence with a crowbar and now threatens to get you fired from your job? I recommend you have no further personal contact with him and that you advise your legal counsel to deal with him or investigate hiring the services of legal counsel to deal with him, if you do not have legal counsel who represents you.

This person is out of control and your contacting him directly will only serve to further aggravate him. IMO, you need big, pointy teeth at this point and a good attorney will know what to do to get him to comply with contractual obligations, as well as set him straight on his threats.

~brianm~

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I would contact a lawyer. This guy appears to be psycho and had gone way limit here.

Krowbar

Imagineer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi David.
As Neil is so fond of crowbars I thought I'd borrow from that.
Your transcript made me laugh.
I wish Jackson had threatened me. I'd have been round his place knocking on the door the next day.
Silly sod must really be losing it.

Anyway Shaun is correct.
Go to Goggle and type in Neil Jackson Ghostwriter Publications and start trolling through different links and you will discover a number of writers have blogged or posted in public about Jackson's habit of not paying his writers.
You will also discover Jackson used to own some sort of film production company in Canada, some years ago. That went badly for his associates also.

A much better idea than to pop round Jackson's place and give him a good kicking, although the idea does bring a smile to my face, is for all the writers he's ripped off to get together and take out a class legal action against him,
Another writer who has issues with Jackson mentioned this recently.
Like yourself, David, and others, I'm owed payment for my work by Ghostwriter Publications.
At the very least we should do our best to make sure Jackson doesn't take advantage of any more authors. Especially new writers, who are so keen to get into print that they may be attracted to Jackson's speil.
Having Ghostwriter Publications blacklisted on Preditors and Editors is a good start.
I have been wondering if there is some legal organisation in the UK that Ghostwriter Publications can be reported to?
Apart from the Fraud Squad of course.
You should copy and post this thread on the UK Horror Association website. Shocklines forum, the Vault of Evil fourm and the Guy N. Smith forum.
Many people, especially the writers, will be interested to see it.

William Meikle does seem to be doing well with Ghostwriter Productions, yet I wonder if Bill is being paid as he should?
I hope so. I guess if he's not we'll find out about it eventually. You can't keep anything quiet on the Net these days.