Four Minute Query Rejection

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieBabbitt

Read. Write. Tivo.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello -- I'm a newbie: new MG novel, new at querying, new to forum...

Anyhoo, sent out 10 queries (5 last week, 5 this week) -- and I got a rejection in 4 minutes flat. I'm pretty sure it was a form, even though it was addressed to me (and spelled my name correctly). I didn't think my email server even worked that fast.

I got another email rejection (explaining it was a form, in case I didn't recognize it from the "Dear Author" intro) and a request for a full (yay!).

So what's your fastest query rejection time? Or longest (with a reply, not those lost in space). I did send out 2 via snail mail, but I expect those will be returned with warm holiday wishes...

Also -- do you send queries in batches or all at once? Is there an advantage either way?

Thank you!

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
My fastest was a 30-second rejection, kid you not. Agent must have been stalking his own inbox.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
My fastest was a 30-second rejection, kid you not. Agent must have been stalking his own inbox.

Me too. 30 seconds. I'll never forget it.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Wow - I thought I was doing pretty good (or bad) having received an e-mail rejection in about 30 minutes. These agents work fast.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch Sorry for all the fast rejections. My quickest no was about fifteen minutes

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to answer the query-batch part - I send in little batches, half a dozen once a week. That way the Rs don't feel like such an avalanche, they just dribble in, in a sedate sort of fashion. Somewhat easier for me to take.

:)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Hey, Charlie! Welcome to AW and the wonderful world of querying. :D

Shortest rejection time? I have my email set to refresh every five minutes, so that's probably my shortest. Really. By coincidence, the editor or agent could be viewing his/her Inbox right at the moment you hit "send."

But you also got a request for a full...! Congrats on that. :)

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Not sure of the exact time, but last weekend I sent out a query, then checked the reputation and requirements of another agent, sent her a query and by the time I'd finished the first one had rejected me. I would guess three minutes.

As for batches, I am doing about ten a week. Because it's August I gather a lot of agents are on vacation and I have a ton outstanding, so I should probably ease off. But I can't! I can't stand doing nothing when I feel my work is ready to go out. Maybe that's why I started my new novel. :)

marie2

eggroll
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nmessina.livejournal.com
Congrats on the full request :)

I normally send about 15 queries in two weeks time. My fastest rejection time was ten seconds. I gawked and then was very sad, finding comfort in oreos.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
My fastest request was five minutes (a full.) Not sure about rejections though, I try to blot those out. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Book